spiciest / hottest food in town

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

spiciest / hottest food in town

Postby eriedasch » Fri May 18, 2007 5:15 pm

I'm not quite up for doing shots of Dave's Insanity Sauce (a few drops will do me fine), but I do have an appetite for what most would call insanely spicy.

I'm just looking for more places to make my hair feel like it is standing on end.

Vientienne Inn / Palace? It's been a long time since I've been there. Pad Thai w/ 4 stars? Do they go higher? Other Thai places?

Quaker Steak & Lube for their insane wings? I have not tried them and try to avoid the chains, but they make you sign a waiver before they will serve them to you. Sounds like a challenge to me.

Village Green roadkill burrito (thurs lunch special). The burritto is not insanely spicy by itself, but you can get a bottle of Dave's Insanity brought to the table along with what seems to be the largest selection of hot sauces I've ever seen.

What else?

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Re: spiciest / hottest food in town

Postby Stomach » Fri May 18, 2007 5:24 pm

eriedasch wrote:Quaker Steak & Lube for their insane wings? I have not tried them and try to avoid the chains, but they make you sign a waiver before they will serve them to you. Sounds like a challenge to me.

The waiver struck me more as a marketing gimmick than anything else but I don't like mega-hot foods so I did not try them. I have had their standard hot wings (they have about 14 different kinds so it's hard to clarify) and I didn't think they were particularly hot. I think you need to try them and report back.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Fri May 18, 2007 10:56 pm

eriedasch wrote:I'm not quite up for doing shots of Dave's Insanity Sauce (a few drops will do me fine), but I do have an appetite for what most would call insanely spicy.

Just curious, what kind of hot are you looking for? Like, 'hot but jives with the dish and isn't just too much cayenne' or 'I just don't want any sensation in my face for the next day' or 'complicated spiciness that's clearly the result of a blend of spices, not just a shitload of one'?

Personally, I don't seek the heat very often, but I remember being caught off-guard by the Green Curry at Sukho Thai's library mall foodcart. I'm sure real heat aficionado's think I'm weak, but you can always kick it up with some Sri-Racha.

I haven't been to Real Chili for a while, but I bet if you ask they'll appreciate the challenge to clean your sinuses.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Sat May 19, 2007 2:39 pm

tru nam's noodles house special fre drice extra hot. let me know hat you think. ask for the egg to be runny-it's delicious.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat May 19, 2007 3:52 pm

Go to one of the Indian restaurants and ask them to make your order spicy like they would at home.

garmonbozia

Postby garmonbozia » Sun May 20, 2007 12:23 am

If you ask "native Lao" level in Lao Laan Xang, it gets pretty tough. I also have a tendency to order the shrimp creole at New Orleans Takeout everytime I have a sore throat. It feels almost like sandpaper, but it just somehow makes me feel better. Instantly.

Monzie

Postby Monzie » Sun May 20, 2007 1:47 pm

When we used to live in town, we ate at Wah Kee pretty regularly.* And my husband always got a craving for their jambong when he felt a cold coming on. Hot and spicy enough to clear out the ol' sinuses. Definitely a six Kleenex bowl of soup.

*Disclaimer: Since we moved out to the boonies, our visits to Wah Kee have become few and far between. The menu and quality of their food may have changed.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon May 21, 2007 9:48 am

China Palace's "Boiled {insert meat} in Spicy Sauce" can be exceptionally spicy if you order it as such.

Sukho Thai's green curry at the restuarant can be made hot enough to make your eardrums ache, if you ask them. Also, tom yum can be pretty brain-searing if made right - I've never had it at any madison restaurants, though.

I went to Swagat last week and the waiter asked if I'd like my food "mild or medium." I tried not to take it personally. :)

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon May 21, 2007 3:26 pm

lysander wrote:Just curious, what kind of hot are you looking for? Like, 'hot but jives with the dish and isn't just too much cayenne' or 'I just don't want any sensation in my face for the next day' or 'complicated spiciness that's clearly the result of a blend of spices, not just a shitload of one'?.

I'm looking for any and all of the above.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I've had the native Lao at Lao Laan Xang, great example.

I will definitely check out Sukho Thai green curry.

Not a big wings fan, but my g/f is so I will eventually report back on Quaker Steak.

I did have BW3's inferno or whatever their hotest wings are years ago. From what I remember they were reasonably hot, but not overly spicy by my standards.

lysander wrote:I'm sure real heat aficionado's think I'm weak, but you can always kick it up with some Sri-Racha.

Nothing wrong with that stuff. Good condiment for most Asian type foods.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Buy some of these and put it into your own concoctions.
Available at Yue Wah on South Park. Go down the first aisle, it's near the end on the left hand side. The Flambeau Sauce is the hottest.

Mmmm, Matouk's.

hecky
Forum Addict

Postby hecky » Mon May 21, 2007 3:44 pm

These have both been mentioned but I second them -- Sukho Thai and Lao Laan xang, one of the Laotian specialties can be pretty intense even without ordering it "native."

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon May 21, 2007 4:49 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Buy some of these and put it into your own concoctions.
Available at Yue Wah on South Park. Go down the first aisle, it's near the end on the left hand side. The Flambeau Sauce is the hottest.

Mmmm, Matouk's.

Thanks. I've bought the calypso flavor quite a few times. It's wonderful on jerk pork. Good amount of heat and great flavor.

I will pick up a bottle of the Flambeau. Pretty sure they sell it at Woodmans and I used to get the calypso at Jamerica.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:19 pm

speaking of jerk, the jerk at david's jamaican can be pretty darn hot if you put too much on. speaking from experience, of course. probably not as hot as what you're looking for though! :oops:

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:57 pm

Order the wings at the Branch St. Retreat in Middleton. Tell the order taker that you want them as hot as they can make them.

You can see the pepper pieces on the wings. Extremely tasty and extremely hot.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:43 am

paulie wrote:speaking of jerk, the jerk at david's jamaican can be pretty darn hot if you put too much on. speaking from experience, of course. probably not as hot as what you're looking for though! :oops:

I eat jerk pork from David's at least once a month. Mainly take out, but if you eat it there they have kind of a watered down habenero sauce on each table that can get reasonably spicy if you use enough. Their jerk sauce adds good flavor and a bit of heat as well.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”