Good eats, short drive?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Good eats, short drive?

Postby Thusnelda » Fri May 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Some friends and I are planning to take some evening/weekend drives this summer and would like some restaurant recs for out-of-town spots. I suppose anything within about an hour counts, in any direction, any cuisine, and any price range. This could be useful for a stop on the way to, say, APT or the Jefferson drive-in, too.

Any suggestions or comments?

Small sampling of places I've heard about:

--Roxbury Tavern (do they do dinner?)
--Creamery Cafe in Paoli (same here -- dinner?)
--Old Feed Mill in Mazo
--Dining Room in Monticello
--Grumpy Troll in Mt. Horeb
--Blue Skies Cafe in Mt. Horeb
--The Pine Cone in Johnson Creek

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri May 18, 2007 12:19 pm

The General Store in Spring Green - although I think they are a breakfast/lunch place; I'm not sure when they stop serving, but I wouldn't count on them for dinner.

Harley Blues in Blue Mounds is an upretentious small town tavern, and while they won't be featured in Gourmet any time soon they have decent bar food and Lake Louie on tap.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Fri May 18, 2007 1:14 pm

Lake Mills:
El Mariachi for excellent Mexican. Guacamole is fantastic and the margaritas on the rocks rivals those from Eldorado. Right on the town square.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 18, 2007 2:18 pm

I've been to the Grumpy Troll and the Old Feed Mill. I enjoyed them both. The Troll is a brew pub/traditional small town bar with good food. The Old Feed Mill is more upscale, with fine food.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri May 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Of the ones listed, I've been to the old feed mill and the dining room in monticello. The dining room is excellent, absolutely worth the trip, and I was neutral towards the old feed mill (as in, maybe not worth the drive, but good food nonetheless).

If you go to the dining room, I definitely would recommend the toffee pudding for dessert! It may be best to make reservations at the dining room.

I'd also consider the glarner stube or chalet lundhaus in new glarus. The stube doesn't take reservations, not sure about chalet lundhaus.

Monzie

Postby Monzie » Sun May 20, 2007 2:00 pm

Casting a second vote for the Glarner Stube. The husband and I make an annual pilgrimage every autumn for their rosti and fondue. That's the official start to our "winter fat" season!

We just had dinner at the Old Feed Mill two weeks ago. Food was good and the service was excellent. Fancy-pants comfort food (pot roast, meatloaf, roast chicken, mushroom struedel). And the portions are huge.

The Roxbury Tavern is just typical bar food, imho. Fish fry, burgers, and the like. A lot of people love the place and consider it worth a drive, but we live just a few miles away and never eat there. Take that for whatever its worth.

JohnnyBlood

Postby JohnnyBlood » Sun May 20, 2007 5:53 pm

The Dining Room in Monticello, WI is overrated, if you ask me. I've been there twice, and while the food is tasty, I never felt satisfied.

I'll cast a third vote for Glaner Stube in New Glarus, but they do not take reservations and you better plan on spending a little time in the bar waiting for a table if you go there on a Friday or Saturday night.

Other restaurants in the area I recommend include:

* Laz Bistro & Bar (Stoughton, WI): Great food, excellent value.

* Belle Bleu (Belleville, WI): Good food, quaint, good price, undiscovered.

* Morels (Middleton, WI): Exceptional food.

* Louisianne's (Middleton, WI): Awesome, awesome food; quaint, great atmosphere.

* Green Lantern (McFarland, WI): Great breakfast, great fish fry on Friday nights.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Sun May 20, 2007 8:31 pm

shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Sun May 20, 2007 9:20 pm

Great thread, it sounds like a fun idea. I also like the Glarner Stube in New Glarus.

Has anyone been to the Tyranena Brewery in Lake Mills? Do they have a nice place to drink their beers, even if they don't serve food?

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Mon May 21, 2007 8:55 am

shelly wrote:Has anyone been to the Tyranena Brewery in Lake Mills? Do they have a nice place to drink their beers, even if they don't serve food?

The bar inside is basic, but they do have an outside beer garden which is fairly comfortable.
Okay, not really a garden, but a patio. Still it is outside and most of their brews are quite good.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 21, 2007 9:37 am

A friend swears by the Dells upscale steakhouse Fields at the Wilderness. I've never been to Fields... anybody else?

It's not exactly a short drive, but a nice dinner followed by a double feature at the Dells Big Sky Drive-in might be worth the trip.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon May 21, 2007 9:48 am

About once a month we'll take a Saturday afternoon drive out to Richland Center to lunch at the Fiesta Fe Cafe. On Main Street. Easily the best Mexican food I've had anywhere in Wisconsin.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Mon May 21, 2007 9:59 am

wack wack wrote:About once a month we'll take a Saturday afternoon drive out to Richland Center to lunch at the Fiesta Fe Cafe. On Main Street. Easily the best Mexican food I've had anywhere in Wisconsin.

Why do you think it's the best Mexican food in WI? Give us some menu highlights please. I'm assuming you've been to the south-side of Milwaukee for Mexican? What about Antojitoes el Toril or "Mexican Lunch" (the new Park St. counter that has 2 names on the signage)?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon May 21, 2007 10:52 am

cubanat wrote:
wack wack wrote:About once a month we'll take a Saturday afternoon drive out to Richland Center to lunch at the Fiesta Fe Cafe. On Main Street. Easily the best Mexican food I've had anywhere in Wisconsin.

Why do you think it's the best Mexican food in WI? Give us some menu highlights please. I'm assuming you've been to the south-side of Milwaukee for Mexican? What about Antojitoes el Toril or "Mexican Lunch" (the new Park St. counter that has 2 names on the signage)?

What, don't have a car? Drive to Richland Center and find out for yourself. Really, it's a nice drive. But first, rub your eyes and read my initial comments again: the best Mexican food I'VE had in Wisconsin. I'd never be so bold as to claim it the absolute best in Wisconsin.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Mon May 21, 2007 11:17 am

At $3.40 per gallon I'd rather stick the local Mexican joints thank you. especially after that awesome descriptive review.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”