From Bulls to Bears: Rapture and Resurrection

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

From Bulls to Bears: Rapture and Resurrection

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Some of you may know that I have written on the subject of Bull's BBQ in the past. It's kind of a fetish for me, I guess. I thought, and others thought, that it was pretty damn good. Others disagreed, but they were dumb. Bull's was the shit.

And then it closed. It was just about that abrupt. I guess it went to limited hours around New Year's, and then it was totally shuttered. Which is not to say that it was literally "shuttered." The interior was untouched. The last issue of the Isthmus on the windowsill reads, to this day, "December 29, 2006." Chairs, signs, vehicles, even chips and sodas, went unmoved (and still gather dust where they were left back then). It was like the employees were raptured out of their polo shirts right after closing.

Eventually, a summons appeared on the door, and CCAP revealed that there were both eviction and small claims proceedings in progress against Jason Tarkowski (the proprietor). That seemed like the end.

I was, however, undeterred in my curiosity, if not my hope. I would still drive by Bull's while in the neighborhood, just to see if Jesus was saucing up some brisket and chatting ethereally with the souls of Bulls' employees. And lo and behold, my persistence was rewarded with a new sign taped to the door:

Coming soon: Papa Bear's BBQ

That's right! The Q is back on Cottage Grove, bitches! The boulder has been rolled aside, and the hibernation is over. The metaphors are being mixed just like in the days of old!

Yeah, over the top. If the new place is as good as the old place, it's worth it.

I just hope the new (?) proprietors clean up the sauce bottles that are probably still sitting on the counter just inside the front door. Yeeeesh.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue May 15, 2007 10:57 pm

A bull died and was resurrected as a bear bringing joy to others by this sacrifice?

I see the making of a new religion somewhere in here. Probably more along the lines of a native American religion.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 15, 2007 11:02 pm

If it's a new religion with bulls and bears, you know it's got the Dow in there somewhere too.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 15, 2007 11:15 pm

Yes, it's a veritable train wreck of imagery. But let's keep our eyes on the big picture here, people: BBQ.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed May 16, 2007 7:50 am

It has something to do with Chicago Sports franchises, no?

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon May 21, 2007 9:58 am

Any updates? Just for the heck of it I tried calling the old Bull's phone number, and it is still disconnected.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun May 27, 2007 11:25 am

Update: Now opening June 5. And the signage and vehicles have finally been taken down/moved.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 29, 2007 2:26 pm

Is it BYOBB?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 29, 2007 2:36 pm

Naw, that last B is a typo.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed May 30, 2007 8:40 am

I get can Simpsons quotes anywhere. I want my BBQ!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed May 30, 2007 12:00 pm

lukpac wrote:I get can Simpsons quotes anywhere. I want my BBQ!

Given the Yoda-esque syntax of your first sentence, shouldn't the second read, "Want my BBQ I do!?"

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed May 30, 2007 2:58 pm

Marvell wrote:
lukpac wrote:I get can Simpsons quotes anywhere. I want my BBQ!

Given the Yoda-esque syntax of your first sentence, shouldn't the second read, "Want my BBQ I do!?"

Yes.

Marvell wise is.

lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:03 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Update: Now opening June 5. And the signage and vehicles have finally been taken down/moved.

Still on track for tomorrow? Is there a phone number posted?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:08 am

No phone number, but I feel like I may have mis-posted earlier. I haven't driven by for a few days, but I think the sign said June 4th.

I plan on stopping by tonight.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”