Sardine Loves Pork (Warning to non-pork eaters)

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 23, 2007 1:02 pm

On a related note, I must now openly admit I underestimated the number of dishes and restaurants that hide pork in their foods. I have not even been asking or looking for it, and it has come up twice incidentally. The strangest one was at Brocach. I was asking the waiter to recommend between two dishes, and he recommended the grilled chicken BECAUSE of the unlisted bacon that is added to the corn stuffing.

This leads me to conclude either that it does not actually come up often as a complaint (likely) or it does and at least three restaurants totally ignore these complaints (unlikely).

It also led me to observe that I am so used to eating all sorts of pork products that I don't even notice when they are there, because once the chicken arrived I couldn't even tell there was bacon in there. I felt it could have used more bacon... it was kind of bland.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed May 23, 2007 1:07 pm

So, did the sky split wide open? Did a big ray of light shine down? And how loud were the angels singing and how booming was God's voice when that revelation presented itself to you?

Don't get all mad. I'm just razzing you here.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed May 23, 2007 1:17 pm

TAsunder wrote:
It also led me to observe that I am so used to eating all sorts of pork products that I don't even notice when they are there...

I once witnessed a bartender at the Opus slyly slip a few bacon drippings into my Cosmo martini. Good thing I'm not Jewish, otherwise I would have been really pissed.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed May 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Oh my god, a bacotini. If only.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed May 23, 2007 2:53 pm

Ducatista wrote:Oh my god, a bacotini. If only.

Or, if w_r were Jewish, a treiftini.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed May 23, 2007 3:26 pm

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed May 23, 2007 4:45 pm

mrak wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Oh my god, a bacotini. If only.

Or, if w_r were Jewish, a treiftini.

3oz Gin
1/2 teaspoon Dry Vermouth
Splash of bacon drippings

In a small cocktail pitcher combine the gin, the vermouth, the bacon drippings and 1 cup ice cubes, stir the mixture well, and strain it into a stemmed cocktail glass. Garnish with a jumbo shrimp. Best served with a cheeseburger.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed May 23, 2007 6:54 pm

I'm thinking you'll want to skip the ice.

PeterSteinberg

Postby PeterSteinberg » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:25 pm

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:18 pm

well I'll be goddamned...

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:11 pm

nevermore wrote:well I'll be goddamned...

God will not damn you for this. I've checked and double checked and there are no restrictions in the Old Testament about mixing vodka with bacon. Hell, there isn't even a mention of a martini glass or how many olives to use in a 'tini anywhere to be found in Levitiucs. We're in the clear here, fellas.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:05 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Hell, there isn't even a mention of a martini glass or how many olives to use in a 'tini anywhere to be found in Levitiucs.

Isn't it spelled, 'Levitiyuks?'

That's the section of the Old Testament that deals with proper cocktail lounge hygiene, right?

PeterSteinberg

Postby PeterSteinberg » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Also, a Pork Margarita (free login required)

Pork Margarita

Adapted from Porchetta

Pork cracklings

Dried chiles de árbol

2oz. añejo tequila

2Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice

Splash of Cointreau

Splash of freshly squeezed tangerine juice

Pickled green chili pepper, for garnish (optional)

1. Use a food processor to grind store-bought unflavored pork cracklings and dried chiles de árbol to taste until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.

2. In a shaker filled with ice, shake the tequila, lime juice, Cointreau and tangerine juice. Rub the edge of a chilled cocktail glass with a lime, then dip the glass into the pork cracklings. Strain the liquids into the glass and garnish with the chili pepper if desired.

Yield: 1 serving

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:28 pm

Amazingly, there's no other general Sardine thread except for this delightfully sublime/ridiculous blast from the past.

But I finally got to Sardine, and I'd just like to say that the crab cakes are amazing, and the service and atmosphere are really, really great.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:13 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Amazingly, there's no other general Sardine thread except for this delightfully sublime/ridiculous blast from the past.

But I finally got to Sardine, and I'd just like to say that the crab cakes are amazing, and the service and atmosphere are really, really great.

Dude. What took you so long?

Didja try the Duck Confit salad?

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”