V. Richards Market in Waukesha!!!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

V. Richards Market in Waukesha!!!

Postby Pogoagogo » Thu May 10, 2007 2:00 pm

Wow. Imported Genoa salumi, a deli case to die for, Molinari products, prime beef, duck....I've found my new favorite market. Kinda makes Barriques look like Kwik Trip.

Now my commute to Waukesha is not so miserable!

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:23 am

Pogo, That's not a fair comparison, V Richard's is an multi million dollar upscale gourmet grocery store. Barriques is trying to be well, Barriques.

One word of caution, Every time I buy something from the deli @ V - ie: prepared foods, sandwiches, it's been mediocre and overpriced.

I'd suggest the Sendiks Brookfield on Capitol - an awesome walk in cheese "cave" and the deli stuff is better imho.

If you find something good at V, post it, It's still fun to go there.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri May 11, 2007 11:32 am

Ah, I guess upon further research, I realize there are other stores. Didn't check out the hot deli case. But..the imported genoa salami is delicious, they just got it after the government approved it's import. I'm eating it for lunch right now.

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Pogo,

What's the deal behind a recently approved Genoa Salumi?

I didn't know, I love to eat a good salami/salumi - so 2 speak, Now I'm curious.

Thanks

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri May 11, 2007 11:42 pm

Don't forget the websites!

V.Richards European Market. (Located in Brookfield, not Waukesha)
Grasch Foods (Brookfield)
Sendiks (Whitefish Bay, Wauwatosa, Mequon, Grafton)
Sendiks (Downer Ave., Bayside, Brookfield @124th & North Ave)
Sendiks Brookfield (@Capitol Dr)
Sendiks on Oakland

Brookfield is a haven for gourmet cooks. City's demographics, central location attract specialty food shops.
Food Fancy. Metro area shoppers embrace growth in upscale specialty grocery stores.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon May 14, 2007 10:38 am

All of the "italian" salami I've encountered in the Madison area is either domestic (which can be very good, with San Francisco brands such as Molinari or Columbus) or Canadian.

The worst at Fraboni's is "Bellissimo" which is cooked not cured. Anything at Woodmans (or any other grocery store)is most likely cooked.

Busseto is domestic, from Fresno I think, and rather awful .

In my opinion, the San Fran stuff is the best as those manufacturers adhere to certain italian standards. They are the only companies in the US that have the legal right to call the product "Italian Dry Salami".

The Canadian stuff can be good or bad.

A good domestic brand that is not from San Fran is from Rhode Island. Daniele is the name.

As for the imported genoa, the FDA just permitted it to be imported is all, and I'm quoting from the sign above it at V.Richards.

Right now I'm eating Molinari Hot Salami with imported Loccetello aged pecorino romano.

iwiw99 wrote:Hi Pogo,

What's the deal behind a recently approved Genoa Salumi?

I didn't know, I love to eat a good salami/salumi - so 2 speak, Now I'm curious.

Thanks

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”