Shrimp Truck on University?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Shrimp Truck on University?

Postby cubanat » Wed May 09, 2007 10:32 pm

What's the deal with this? I saw it the last 2 years. The other day they had a line of 30 people waiting. Anyone buy shrimp from this guy?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 10, 2007 8:01 am

The Cap Times just did an article on the shrimp truck. Here.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Thu May 10, 2007 12:22 pm

Thanks HV! Very interesting.

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:08 pm

I started going there about a yearish ago and now always go.

I buy the Jumbo or XL shrimp.

They have to be shelled, and de-pooped, but they are off the charts.

I think the article said people freeze them to save for later, It's more of treat to get them fresh and eat them and wait for the next truck.

Plus if push comes to shove, I have a blow up fresh shrimp doll.

The lines are fine outside of lunch and rush hour.

Highly reccomended.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri May 11, 2007 10:33 pm

Fabian's shrimp are great....and so are the oysters (this was the last load til fall) and the crab meat and the Louisiana crawfish tails (not that chinese crap they sell elsewhere). He even has fresh whole redfish if that's your bag.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shrimp Truck on University?

Postby john_titor » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:17 pm

I signed up a while ago online and forgot about it. I have since received two postcards and I really want to make this one. Any recent customers?

Fabian Seafood Galveston, TX

Tuesday 12-6 pm 10/14 Steve's lot: 3618 University

http://fabianseafood.com

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:02 pm

We got jumbo shrimp and red snapper last month. I thought the snapper was overrated but it was good, and easy to cook. We roasted the shrimp under the broiler using a recipe from Cook's Test Kitchen.

I thought I made too much using two pounds but we ate it all and it was fantastic.

Might try the crab meat next time. Definitely getting another couple pounds of shrimp.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Peeling and de-veining the shrimp is a bit tedious, so I reserve purchases for special occasions. But it's worth saving the shells: they make a good base for seafood stock.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Regular customer here...I've always been very happy with everything from Steve Fabian. Prices are comparable to Chesapeake Bay area, oyster and crab and shrimp are fresh, crawfish tails every spring. I hope they make one more trip before winter sets in. I'm pretty sure this is the only place in town you can get shrimp that have never been frozen. Hint: if you want to grill shrimp, don't peel and devein them. Use a sharp knife, cut the underside from stem to stern, marinate them for a few hours (or 1-2 days), then grill. It's more fun to peel and eat than to peel and wait while they cook. Of course, boiling them there is no need to peel them either, 2-3 min. in boiling water (til they turn pink) then a fast ice bath to stop the cooking process, then the fridge for 4 hrs and you got a tasty meal to peel and eat. I buy 5 lbs of Fabian shrimp on a Tuesday and they are gone by thursday:)

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:15 am

The fates did not allow. I too would have more success with a site off the Beltline. Oh well.

david cohen wrote: It's more fun to peel and eat than to peel and wait while they cook

"Peel your own" shrimp at a restaurant, to me means "do the work we couldn't get the dish washer to do, get schmutz all over your nice clothes and make sure your hands smell like ass all day." So I am not a fan. I don't like tails on for the same reason.

Thanks for all of the replies, sounds like it is still good stuff.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:48 am

That recipe from Test Kitchen calls for cutting the shells down to the fin with kitchen shears and deveining,like this:

Then leave the shell on, mix them in a little herb sauce and broil em in a cookie sheet for a few minutes on each side. The shell opens up, it's really easy to peel, gives them a great color and they taste better.

Easiest and tastiest shrimp I've ever had. But I don't think it would be good for anything other than jumbo.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Fabian will be back at Steve's one last time this year- next Tuesday noon-6pm....crab meat, shrimp and oysters per their postcard.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”