Artisan Foods

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Artisan Foods

Postby Integral » Wed May 09, 2007 10:34 am

For the last couple of weeks, I've been getting tasty, organic, local food delivered to our house from Artisan Foods. Through them, you can order meats, dairy, poultry, eggs, preserves, honey, and a bunch of other stuff for, in a lot of cases, less money than you can usually find it in the store, and it magically appears in a cooler on your doorstep every Thursday.

From their site:
AFD aims to support local artisan’s and boost the local economy through increased sales of locally crafted foods; offer a much needed service to Madison and surrounding area residents by "bringing the farmer’s market to your door" year-round; strengthen community by linking consumers with the source of their food; and sustain the environment by minimizing the travel distance of food from land to table, as well as through use of bio-diesel fueled delivery trucks.

Even though they put an apostrophe in what should be "artisans" above (not to mention their erroneous and gratuitous semi-colon use), this place seems to be pretty cool. The food that we've gotten is absolutely delicious. Their milk is non-homogenized (Blue Marble is great, as anyone who's had it knows), and they also sell raw-milk cheese that is way cheaper than said cheese at any store and amazingly tasty, to boot. The eggs have so much more flavor than the store-bought variety, and I highly recommend the pickled carrots for anyone who likes that sort of thing.

They don't deliver to every neighborhood, but I live close to the Arboretum and St. Mary's Hospital, and they deliver here. I am pretty sure that they deliver downtown, as well. You have to spend a minimum of 25 bucks in order to lure them to your home, but it's well worth it in terms of value and in terms of supporting local agriculture. It's also a great option if you can't make it out to the various farmer's markets on a regular basis or for someone with limited transportation options.

Anyone else had experience with these guys? So far, it seems like a dream come true.

EDIT: I put this in the "Cooking" section. I'm not sure whether this would be the correct place for it. Perhaps I should have stuck it in "Catch All."

Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon May 14, 2007 10:48 am

I found a bottle of the milk at cap foods. I enjoyed it a lot. But when I returned, they had expired milk for sale (no surprise - it's cap foods after all). Magic Mills also sells it, but they also sell nearly expired bottles.

I saw a different brand, "dairyland's best" which is from "lamers farm", at the coop. Has anyone tried both the lamers and blue marble who could compare them? I don't want to set up a delivery route if they are similar. The expiration date on the bottles at the coop were 2 weeks out, as they should be when buying milk.

Postby wrenb » Mon May 28, 2007 6:34 pm

I've been ordering my milk, yogurt, and the occasional pasture-raised chicken from Artisan Foods Delivered since November. I know they *say* there's a $25 minimum, but my usual order is $11 and no one's ever asked me to switch to ordering twice a week.

I'm one heck of a satisfied customer [and a lurker around here who had to register just so I could say this :)]

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”