Another Food Related Pet Peeve

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
cubanat
Forum Addict

Another Food Related Pet Peeve

Postby cubanat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:09 pm

My phone is broken. I am hungry. I want to try out RP's Pasta's restaurant The Fork & Spoon or something to that effect. I go online to this website and find out the address & the hours. I drive across town to the Willy St. area & find the place. I walk in to the nice new building & storefront only to be told that they are not open on Mondays anymore. I can forgive the TDP website BUT for Christ's sake RP's has a sign up on the buliding that says they serve lunch on Mondays! C'mon businesses! Get on the ball. Send out an email to the local newspapers that have listings regarding your hours. You know who they are. It doesn't have to be a full-on press release. And if that is too much trouble than at least take down the signage in your front windows that has the wrong information. And we wonder why people like chain restaurants...consistency! I know I'm ranting but I was hungry to try the place out. Now I don't even know when they are open. Another sign said that they were only open for dinner Thursday thru Saturday but lunch Monday thru Sunday. WTF?!?!

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:11 pm

Somewhat related: Could TDP include a link to the restaurant's website in their Eats section entry? Jason? Yes/no? If you pay me, I'll look up all the URLs.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:14 pm

I gotta say, the whole "closed on Mondays" or Tuesdays or whatever-the-fuck day is a piss-poor way to run a business, food or otherwise.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Yeah totally. I've tried to go to Firefly several times only to find out it's closed (during the day on Sunday). Boo!

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:46 pm

TDP used to link to the web sites. I suspect there is a reason why they stopped.

I'd rather a restaurant be closed monday than sunday, personally.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I gotta say, the whole "closed on Mondays" or Tuesdays or whatever-the-fuck day is a piss-poor way to run a business, food or otherwise.

For a lot of small business owners, closing their 'bricks and mortar' storefront is the only way they ever get a day off.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:58 pm

Marvell wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I gotta say, the whole "closed on Mondays" or Tuesdays or whatever-the-fuck day is a piss-poor way to run a business, food or otherwise.

For a lot of small business owners, closing their 'bricks and mortar' storefront is the only way they ever get a day off.

Wasn't that problem solved in the old days by having more kids? What happened to that??

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:00 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Marvell wrote:

Wasn't that problem solved in the old days by having more kids? What happened to that??

I suppose it's a perfectly cromulent approach if you don't mind waiting 16 years or so between days off.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:02 pm

Marvell wrote:
That hardly makes it any less annoying.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:04 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Marvell wrote:

Props, then, should go to the fine folks at Antojitos el Toril, who didn't shrink their hours as their business developed--they expanded them! And I've only ever seen two different people working the front.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:35 pm

and Antojitoes El Toril is consistently good (and friendly to boot!) They are one of the few..hats off!

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Marvell wrote:

I've got no issue with that, but if you have a sign outside that's says you're open from x to y times, you should be open.

We've had the same problems with RPs. Three times. The first time, we went at 7:00 on a Thursday, and they said they were open until 8 or maybe even 9, I don't remember; pull up, lights are on, get out of the car. Door's open. No one's there. Holler "Hello?" Girl comes out and says, we closed early, I forgot to lock the door. Okayyyyyyy. Try again on a Saturday night, same thing, except this time the place is locked. The third time they were not serving food because of open mic. We gave up, RPs from the store will have to suffice.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:21 pm

why is it that i always want indian food at 3 pm??? the bane of my existence!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:42 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Marvell wrote:

Huh?

So every business should be open - 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year - because some customer somewhere might suddenly want their good and/or service?

That's a fine business model for an on-line record store. But am I to take it that you wait tirelessly by your monitor, aimed to pounce the nanosecond someone clicks 'Buy Now?' Or do you, as seems more likely, go about your day and check your computer for new orders every couple of hours or so - which is to say, you get to it when you get to it?

A restaurant doesn't have the luxury of getting to it when they get to it - not if they want to stay in business. So - in order to preserve what little home life/sanity they have, restaurant-owners will frequently close during one or both of the two days that they do the least business.

I'm just pointing out what would seem to me a largely unremarkable aspect of the restaurant business. I don't know why people think this means I'm defending RP's; those guys are clowns - I picked up on that the one and only time I went in there for lunch.

steveo

Postby steveo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:48 pm

lincoln freed the slaves

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”