Steak: Thick and Juicy

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby doddles » Tue May 01, 2007 3:50 pm

Rosemary wrote:To quibble a seemingly minor point:

Anyone else care about flavor as much as texture? Not all "butter knife" steaks are flavorless, but my gosh, sometimes the best-tasting cuts require a sharp knife and a little more chewing. And by golly, you're grateful for that extra work. I'm sure part of my appreciation for such a steak comes from eating homegrown steaks on the farm, but I'm not the only one who feels like this.

I'm with you on that. Many steaks here are very tender, but also pretty tasteless. I grew up in Australia, where all the steaks are grass fed - much tastier. In Madison we basically get steaks from Fountain Prairie at the Farmer's Market, and grill them at home. Best steaks I've had anywhere in Madison. The next best steak I've had is the Tenderloin at El Dorado - the only food I think is good there. Better than anything I've had at Tornado, Smokeys, Harvest, Capitol Chophouse, etc.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 01, 2007 5:21 pm

Useless for our ursine pal looking for a steak a week ago, but El Gaucho in Seattle was tremendous.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Steak again

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 01, 2007 7:48 pm

Justcub wrote:Reading through the posts here, a few mentioned a bone-in filet...and that also seems to be a major difference between a Kansas City Strip and a New York Strip.. that the KC hasthe bone and NY does not.
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong here.

Don't know if I'm right or wrong, but I was in Kansas City last week. We grilled KC strip steaks bought at the local Price Chopper and they were boneless. Looked exactly like NY strips to me. Maybe the more upscale supermarkets and the better steak houses in KC keep the bone in.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon May 21, 2007 10:44 am

Finally got to Fleming's for the red meat fest. Prime rib special is a great deal. Only on Sunday for 31 bucks you get a nice 12 oz prime rib cooked to order, one salad, one large side, and one dessert. For a high end steakhouse this is an excellent deal. I highly recommend it, although when the waiter described the porterhouse, I had a tough decision to make. All 6 of us went with the special, and split some tasty sides including truffled mashed potatoes, potatoes with jalapenos and cheese, mac and cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and broccoli with cheese sauce. Under 100 bucks with a bottle of red. Not bad, and I'm eating a prime rib sandwich for dinner tonight and my wife gets the leftover chocolate lava cake and key lime torte.

BrianLawler

Smokeys on University Ave

Postby BrianLawler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:29 pm

:D Smokeys in my opinion has the Best steaks in Madison. www.badgerpropertyservices.com

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Smokeys on University Ave

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:34 pm

BrianLawler wrote::D Smokeys in my opinion has the Best steaks in Madison. www.badgerpropertyservices.com

First post. One sentence comment with no supporting facts and followed by a gratuitous advertisement. Be prepared to take some shit.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:35 pm

BrianLawler wrote::D Smokeys in my opinion has the Best steaks in Madison. www.bigsausagepizza.com

Don't click that link.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:48 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
BrianLawler wrote::D Smokeys in my opinion has the Best steaks in Madison. www.bigsausagepizza.com

What?*

*link not safe for work

Thanks a lot for hiding that footnote. :shock:

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:50 pm

That's for all those Ann Coulter fans out there who say that footnotes are just as valuable as, you know, full disclosure up front.

(okay, so it was just a bad idea. sorry bucky!)

BrianLawler

Postby BrianLawler » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:00 pm

[quote="BrianLawler"]:D Smokeys in my opinion has the Best steaks in Madison. We ate there tonight. Two Queen cut Filets and two African Lobster tails Lentil soup salad and drinks...........$135. As good a meal as I have ever had .17th Wedding Aniversary. Brian

BrianLawler

Postby BrianLawler » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:02 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
BrianLawler wrote::D Smokeys in my opinion has the Best steaks in Madison.

Don't click that link.

BrianLawler

Postby BrianLawler » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:05 pm

Don't click that link.[/quote]

BrianLawler

Postby BrianLawler » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:05 pm

Don't click that link.[/quote]

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:24 pm

Follow-up question for Brian Lawler: how's that nude housecleaning business going?

monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby monsterface » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:10 pm

This is some of the funniest shit I've read on the Forum in months.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”