Steak: Thick and Juicy

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm

please, gents.
if you're talking ultimate steakhouse and ultimate steak, ALL others pale in comparison to the mighty Peter Luger's in bklyn, ny.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Bruno wrote:My place, my grill. Always free at one of my cookouts.

/end brag :)

I hear ya. Cooking a steak ain't rocket science. All you need is excellent meat + fire.

I've worked for a local steakhouse (Delaney's) and the thing I can tell that really makes a difference is the quality of beef. Popular steakhouses regularly receive boxes of free sample steaks to try out hoping to solicit business. Chicago still seems to be a major hub for the meat industry.

I've had the fancy Japanese beef at Magnus. Very good stuff. There's a place right next door (Papavero's?) where I had veal so tender I could cut it with dull fork.

My friend just went to that place over by Hilldale and said it was a 'butter knife' steak ... for about $100 a plate (+ wine). Too rich for my bloodthirst. I'd rather go out, eat well, yet not mathematize about how much my steak costs per bite. There's a point of diminished returns in there somewhere.

Locally, I'll take the Avenue, Smokey's, and/or Tornado. They're all longstanding supper clubs with well-deserved reputations for great food and old school ambience.

I want to try the venison at the Tornado. Anyone had it?

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:53 pm

supaunknown wrote:I want to try the venison at the Tornado. Anyone had it?

Absolutely. I order it about half the time I go there (which, to date, is about three times a year).

It's sublime. If you're not averse to a little pinkness, order it medium-rare. Anything more than that is missing the point of such a tender cut of tenderloin, in this carnivore's opinion (and, mind you, I usually order my cuts of beef medium).

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:10 pm

If you're buying, The Avenue (Best is the Top Sirloin, although the Tenderloin is a close second.)

If someone else is buying, Tornado. Bone-in Tenderloin. Nummy.

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:21 pm

I had a bite* of a Ruth's Chris steak in NY and it was amazing. It was like a great Tornado steak swimming in butter. No knife necessary.

*I only got a bite because the steak was my uncle's pay for playing three hours of plinky piano jazz at the Ruth's Chris restaurant. I didn't get to eat a meal there...

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:42 pm

supaunknown wrote:I want to try the venison at the Tornado. Anyone had it?

I'll second Chuck's recommendation. I love the stuff. It comes with some spinach that mingles excellently with the sauce. I also prefer the hash browns.

Damn... mouth watering.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Yeah, the venison is fantastic. Chuck's right. Order a step lower than usual. He likes his meat medium so he goes medium rare on the venison. I take my steaks medium rare but I get the venison rare. I usually either order the venison, the 20oz. tenderloin on the bone, or the ribeye.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Def. curious about steaks here

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Will have to try the Avenue and the Tornado, on my list. Don't know about the venison though, I love my steak!

From my experience at high end steakhouses, you do get better service and better food. Read: you get what you pay for. If you are on a budget, or if you don't have a preference for premium aged beef with the finest complements, go wherever. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a basic steak and potatoes kind of meal too. If you are a food/steak lover, splurging on a place like this for a special occasion is worth it for sure though.

If you want ridiculously indulgent stuff like the very best beef, fresh oysters and jumbo shrimp, asparagus with rich hollandaise, truffled potatoes, beefsteak tomato salads with real blue cheese crumbles, individually prepared souffles and cakes, and the finest liquor and wines, check out a Mortons (Palm, and Smith and Wollensky are some other high end steakhouse chains that I've enjoyed). I have yet to hit Flemings or Ruth's Chris here in Madison, but I would bet they are comparable. Money is an issue, but like I said, you get what you pay for. And these places are always a la carte, thats the tradition of the high end steakhouse.

The service is typically impeccable and they treat you well (lots of older gentlemen in white shirts with black ties). Most of them have an old-school vibe with dim lights, oak beams, and leather booths with white linen. Sometimes they bring out the steaks as well as live lobsters on a cart and you can select the cut that you want. The beef is well selected and aged appropriately. Most cities have steakhouses similar to Mortons that are free standing establishments, and I've had great luck at those too, so its worthwhile to check with locals. In Boston they are Capital Grille and Grill 23. Kansas City beef is top notch and my meal at the Plaza III there was great (http://www.plazaiiisteakhouse.com/countryclub/menu.php). The Dresden in LA is another one that comes to mind (http://www.thedresden.com/index.html). Its a little more quirky and cheaper and you can check out the music of Marty and Elayne as seen in "Swingers."

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:55 pm

Side note: Damn! That's two "Chuck's right" posts in a row.

Looks like I'm buying a Powerball ticket tonight.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:01 pm

Get the venison, supa.
You will not be disappointed.

As for steak, I personally wonder why anyone bothers getting one in a restaurant. I love steak and I've had some marvelous ones at various places (including the Tornado and the Avenue - both excellent) but I just don't like paying someone to cook one of the only things on the planet I can actually make myself (a chef I ain't.) Since I've never been to a (good) steakhouse that didn't offer something else delicious - like venison or crab legs, as The Tornado does - it just seems silky for me to bother with a simple steak.

And I disagree that a steak needs to be expensive to be tasty - you can't cheap-out, to be sure, but a relatively mid-priced steak is just as good as the most expensive cut after marinating in my fridge for a couple days smothered in garlic. And anyone who thinks only a ridiculously overpriced cut (filet mignon, anyone?) is the best that a cow has to offer is either crazy or has never tasted brisket.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 pm

jjoyce wrote:
spanky wrote:Personally, I preferred the jackets and ties previously worn by servers at the Tornado, but I can appreciate the complete lack of comfort.

I think they still wear a tie though, right? White shirt, black tie, waist apron?

Black shirts, no tie.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:06 pm

mrak wrote:
jjoyce wrote:All steak joints, in my mind, are compared to Murray's in Minneapolis, home of the silver butterknife steak. Get there if you're ever up there.

I've never had a meal at Murray's, but if I find myself dressed up in downtown Mpls. in the evening, I inevitably find my way to Murray's for a drink or two.

How are the steaks there? I just want to be assured they're not coasting along on their old-school vibe and that glorious, unspoilt-by-urban-renewal exterior facade.
Murray's is very good and just remodeled. Manny's is good too, probably a bit more expensive.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:27 pm

jjoyce wrote:All steak joints, in my mind, are compared to Murray's in Minneapolis, home of the silver butterknife steak. Get there if you're ever up there.

I think I stumbled across this joint for brunch one chilly weekend that I spent in Twin Cities this past winter, but when I just visited the website I noticed that they don't show brunch hours, nor a brunch menu?? And the images of the dining room are far more elegant then the swank bar atmosphere we enjoyed - dining must be on the second floor. I have to say it was a great family-style brunch.

The Bloody Marys were awesome; and if you go, don't be shocked when a sticky bun the size of your head is delivered to your table sans request.

I'll go back for a steak, assuming I've got the right spot.

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:36 pm

To quibble a seemingly minor point:

Anyone else care about flavor as much as texture? Not all "butter knife" steaks are flavorless, but my gosh, sometimes the best-tasting cuts require a sharp knife and a little more chewing. And by golly, you're grateful for that extra work. I'm sure part of my appreciation for such a steak comes from eating homegrown steaks on the farm, but I'm not the only one who feels like this.

Haven't been back for a second go-round yet, but my friend's Cocoliquot steak was a very good, recent example of the right combination of chewiness and flavor. I'm salivating just remembering it.

Justcub

Steak again

Postby Justcub » Tue May 01, 2007 1:45 am

Well I have in my life gotten a few meals at Ruth Chris' and I thought the food there was okay. It wasnt my first choice.
I have also had the oppurtunity to dine at Smith ( Wollensky in Chicago (Wedding rehearsal dinner as well as the ceremony was held there overlooking the Chicago River with some appetizers and drinks served right after but before the reception) and hell yeah the food was good, but generally out of my price range (until I win the Powerball or until an inhereited share of an Oil Well has a gusher..)

However what I was looking for around here in Madison was something like I grew up with back in Indiana...and that is this place
http://www.kelseyssteakhouse.com/menu.htm

Quite honestly, the best I have had...

And maybe it is more an Upper Midwest thing, but I was always led to believe that the best steaks were "boneless".
Reading through the posts here, a few mentioned a bone-in filet...and that also seems to be a major difference between a Kansas City Strip and a New York Strip.. that the KC hasthe bone and NY does not.
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong here.

Well happy eating to all,
JC

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”