Crackers & Breads

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Crackers & Breads

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:26 am

I'm throwing out more bread, than I'm eating. Thought I'd try some Wasa Bread and some other version just as awful. One bite was like eating cardboard. Doesn't someone make a nutritious cracker with good flavor to carry a bit of jam, without too much fat or salt? I even thought of trying Pita, bagels, or something like that, since I haven't gone through a whole loaf in months. With some good foodies on this board, I thought I'd ask for tasty suggestions.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:40 pm

I wouldn't associate foodies with crackers, generally. I think of crackers as more likely an accompaniment to Kountry Kitchen Cheez soup than to something I'd actually want to eat. I'd suggest you just find some good bread and make croutons. (And that way you know what's in them, without having to absorb a list of dubious ingredients.)

But perhaps others have some interesting recipes for crackers as such. Let's hear them. My baking pans stand ready.

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Re: Crackers & Breads

Postby Frank Booth » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:06 am

Bwis53 wrote:I'm throwing out more bread, than I'm eating. Thought I'd try some Wasa Bread and some other version just as awful. One bite was like eating cardboard. Doesn't someone make a nutritious cracker with good flavor to carry a bit of jam, without too much fat or salt? I even thought of trying Pita, bagels, or something like that, since I haven't gone through a whole loaf in months. With some good foodies on this board, I thought I'd ask for tasty suggestions.

I enjoy crackers for what they are. They cannot carry jam. They cannot carry hummus or honey. They are tasty, like Wasa Bread.

Fry your old bread in olive oil and make croutons, or feed it to the ducks.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:11 am

I go thru a loaf of bread in about 5 weeks too...I keep it in the freezer, and if I do use it, I toast it so it doesn't seem dry.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 am

I'm having a good time with this no-cook, grab 'n eat diet. I eat a lot of sunflower seeds, almonds and walnuts. Sometimes I want a nice bread or cracker. It's just that I've thrown out partially eaten rye, pumpernickel, raisenbread, and the wasa stuff. Last year I ate a couple boxes of Carr's sesame-poppy seed roundss, but they only tasted good with swiss on them. Even Ritz and Wheat Thins get old fast.

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:08 am

Frank Booth wrote:
Fry your old bread in olive oil and make croutons, or feed it to the ducks.

Please, please do not feed bread to the ducks: http://www.liveducks.com/bread.html

cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cute hat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:14 am

I like Wasa's sesame crispbread. I think it's the only one they make that doesn't feature rye, which adds a certain sawdust quality. It's not available at the Co-op, but they carry it at Pierce's Market. It goes with just about anything you would put on toast, including jam. One of my standard snacks is sesame crispbread topped with brie and slices of a crisp, sweet/tart apple. . . yum!

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:19 am

Veeder wrote:Please, please do not feed bread to the ducks: http://www.liveducks.com/bread.html

I don't actually feed it to the ducks. I'm sure I've inadvertantly fed some of the slimy raccoons and possums that live in urban Madison via the trash, though.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:46 pm

"Stoned Wheat thins" are like made in Canada and are like, you know, Stoned

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:20 pm

Bremner Wafers. Sentry at Hilldale has 'em.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Paco wrote:I go thru a loaf of bread in about 5 weeks, too.

Wow. I thought only pythons could do that.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:34 pm

I had to go to Hilldale anyways, so I grabbed the Bremners and Stoned Wheat. I will often buy several small items, like that, and do my own comparison. Since tonight's treat is cashews, I'll review the crackers later on this week. The flatbreads, with the sesame sprinkled on them looked good, but I'll try the Bremners and Stoned Wheat first.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:39 pm

The thread title had me hoping this would be about a gang war. A very poorly choreographed gang war with a Lawrence Welk soundtrack. :lol:

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:57 pm

fennel wrote:I wouldn't associate foodies with crackers, generally. ... But perhaps others have some interesting recipes for crackers as such. Let's hear them. My baking pans stand ready.

Au contraire, mon frere (fille?)! I'm a chowhound, and I could not imagine life without crackers. In all of their forms, whether homemade or boughten (thank you to whomever reminded me of that word last week), I love them all. As a little girl, for example, I could eat an entire sleeve of saltines at a time.

They're fun to make, too, especially if you're handy with your rolling pin or unafraid to try. A very basic, easy kind is pie crust. Seriously! Just pie crust. My preferred recipe is my grandmother's formula: for a single-crust pie, it's one cup AP flour, 1/3 cup lard, about 3/4 teaspoon salt, and a few tablespoons ice water.
Experiment from there:
replace some of the flour with seeds or ground nuts; add an egg;
add your favorite herbs or spices;
increase or decrease the fat or water a bit,
or use other types of fat and liquid.
If you don't want to use cutters, for instance, your pizza cutter makes quick work of squares, strips, or diamonds. Bake at 350 degrees.

I've made crackers from a number of different recipes and books; this one (http://www.amazon.com/Crackers-Easy-Recipes-Baking-Delicious/dp/0936067160/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6352957-3982309?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176831358&sr=1-1) had a couple good ones. Bernard Clayton is one of my favorite bread people, and this (http://www.amazon.com/Bernard-Claytons-Complete-Small-Breads/dp/0684826925/ref=sr_1_7/104-6352957-3982309?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176831951&sr=1-7) had a few recipes I loved. In the past year, I've made chile-cornmeal crackers, red wine crackers, oatmeal crackers (that smell like butter as they bake, but contain no fat), Wheat-Thins-like crackers, curry-ginger crackers, and the aforementioned pie crust crackers, among others.

And yes, I eat them alone or with hummus, honey, jam, cheese, maple syrup, whatever.

Leftover, thinly-sliced bread, bagels, what have you, can be baked in a slow oven (with a little oil or seasoning - or not) to make good crackers, too.

I crave texture as much as I crave certain flavors. That's one of the reasons why I love crackers.

can anyone tell me how to make my links refer to their actual, uh, references? I know I'm almost there -- just need a little help!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:52 pm

Rosemary wrote:
fennel wrote:I wouldn't associate foodies with crackers, generally. ... But perhaps others have some interesting recipes for crackers as such. Let's hear them. My baking pans stand ready.

Au contraire, mon frere (fille?)! I'm a chowhound, and I could not imagine life without crackers.

Well, ma soeur, Romarin, I'll skip the lard, but you've piqued my interest. Thanks for the pointers.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”