Whole wheat pizza crust?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:07 pm

It appears most of the posters here are unfamilar with bread, generally, and have had only industrial versions of faux whole wheat crust. "So it goes." (Apologies to Kurt).

But if you've ever had well-made whole wheat crust, you'll never look back. It's hard to do, admittedly, and that's why most pizzerias can't or won't do it.

In the restaurant business, making pizza is considered the equivalent of making money, because no one really cares about the outcome, much as they might like to make noise about it.

BillyO

Postby BillyO » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:13 pm

Cheers to you fennel.
Now, since we've all been debating whether pizza crust is better with white or wheat flour, let's go back to the original point of my post. Are there any pizza places in town that offer good wheat crust? Rocky Roccoco is not a viable option.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:08 pm

I can't help ya as far as a boughten pizza with w/w crust (apologies for continuing with the hijack) but for those who want to try making it at home: the flour is EVERYTHING. If your flour is less than fresh you will get the bitter taste someone complained about earlier. Whole wheat flour is highly perishable and actually tastes best within three days of being ground. Since that isn't an option for most of us, you have to find the place that has the freshest flour you can get. Just don't use something that's sat in your cupboard for six months. Whole grain flour is actually better kept refrigerated or even frozen in a well-sealed package so as not to pick up moisture and flavors from your refrigerator, but best of all is just buying a small amount of top quality flour and using it right away.

I think w/w crust (or half white, half w/w) is actually better and more appropriate with a pizza loaded with vegetables. Those who prefer a meat and cheese pizza probably will prefer white flour because the richness of those ingredients seems to call for a more neutral crust. That's my opinion anyway.

OK, back to looking for some pizza place fussy enough to deal with whole wheat flour. The difficulty of keeping it right is probably the bottom line reason it's hard to find, as fennel said. Good luck.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:04 am

snoqueen wrote:boughten

Heh.

GenericUsername

Postby GenericUsername » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:12 am

GenieU wrote:It isn't offered widely because it doesn't taste good. Only Hippies would try and pass off whole wheat pizza crust as edible. The whole wheat flour imparts a bitter taste.

Besides its an unsubstantiated myth that whole grains are that beneficial anyway.

I'm no hippie, I don't shop at a co-op, and I drive a gas piglet (not a hog) and I (whole-grain) heartedly disagree with your statements.

I've been making 100% whole wheat pizza crusts almost two years and have no complaints. I can add the same hefty amounts of seasonings, fake butter, or insert cheese into the crust and you wouldn't keel over from your whitey-is-righty pizza paradigm shift. I can make it thick and chewy or thin and crispy depending what I want. The taste is actually a bit sweet if left alone.

And without prodding, my 9-year-old loves it and given the choice of chain pizza or homemade, she always chooses homemade. Heck, there have been times I've craved Papa John's or Glass Nickel (and still eat it now and then, but since she gets to choose for 1 night every 14 days, she chooses homemade.

And the health benefit of 100% whole wheat flour vs. white flour... just wait till morning when your full feeling wants to leave or it stays around like spare tire you always wanted.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:12 am

A myth that whole wheat has health benefits? Since when?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:44 am

GenericUsername wrote:And the health benefit of 100% whole wheat flour vs. white flour... just wait till morning when your full feeling wants to leave or it stays around like spare tire you always wanted.

Mmm, poop. Now that's a selling point for food!

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:43 pm

I remain unconvinced. Ok so some people are making whole wheat crust. Notice that next to no-one was confident enough to claim it tasted better. For that matter very few people bothered to try and explain the taste at all, let alone the appeal of whole wheat.

It strikes me that this is because it doesn't taste quite right but a person can overlook the taste swell with the self righteous knowledge that it's a healthier choice.

Pizza as we know it is pretty much American. I think it may have originated in New Jersey of all places. Hey go wild! for all I care y'all can start making Pizza dough out of rice flour-its a free country, after all. But at some point straying too far from known traditions will yeild something that isn't quite what it purports to be. For me whole wheat crust is a bit too far.

I've seen and even sampled these "Pizzas" at picnics and potlucks-sitting forlornly in their aluminum foil lined tupperware with their sodden whole wheat crust, Cheddar cheese toppings and underdone chunks of green pepper-it ain't terrible home cooking, but sorry its not great pizza either.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:50 pm

GenieU wrote:Pizza as we know it is pretty much American. I think it may have originated in New Jersey of all places.

Tell that to the people of Naples.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:54 pm

I'm with those who understand that wheat crust has no business hunkering under pizza toppings.
Never met one I liked.
And no organic pet-friendly non-toxic free-range cleaner has ever worked well, either.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
GenieU wrote:Pizza as we know it is pretty much American. I think it may have originated in New Jersey of all places.

Tell that to the people of Naples.

Yeah, but look at the picture-its tomato sauce on a crust with a sprinkling of cheese and a few basil leaves...I once had one that came with a single olive dead center! Anyway its not the same pizza as we know it here, related for sure-but not the same.

The crust however, is white-make no mistake.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Italian pizza is way better than the American crap.
To quote my Aunt, "if I want all that crap on there, I'll order a salad."

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:04 pm

Whole wheat crust is only good when its thick & the pizza is vegetarian-then it is very good (Rocky's Garden of Eating or whatever they call it)

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:48 pm

Paco wrote:Italian pizza is way better than the American crap.
To quote my Aunt, "if I want all that crap on there, I'll order a salad."

How about this?

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:20 pm

what is with this thread? are there no breadmakers here? unless we're talking cracker-thin crust, pizza crust is just another bread, albeit thin. Like a good bread, it should have a good texture, crust, and density. And, just like bread, good variations can be found in the realm of white flour as well as whole wheat/white flour combinations. Where, with the white, you get a great, light density, the flavors are also pretty simple. With a whole wheat crust, you have to be a bit more careful to get a light density(nothing a good rising won't do), but you'll be rewarded with a more complex flavor, and a mouth feel that has both the softness of whiteflour crust AND a wonderful crunch at the same time.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”