Breakfast

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Breakfast

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:22 pm

I realize breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If it wasn't fattening and I had the time, I'd eat bacon,eggs,hashbrowns and toast daily. I do that on the weekend. Googling breakfast foods, only brought up pasta as an unusual breakfast food. Truth is, I like to get up a little earlier, just so I can sit up in bed, slowly sipping my coffee, as I watch early morning news. Smoothies aren't quite satifying enough. So far, the only thing I feel like adding, that sounds really yummy, is a sour dough muffin. Even if I prepard it the night before, maybe with raspberry jam, that's easy enough. I hate those breakfast bars. (They always have too much sugar and taste awful.) I'm looking for quick, easy, simple and healthy.

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:41 pm

If you haven't already had boring experiences with bought scones, they're easy to make at home and can be as varied in flavor, texture, and add-ins as you like. It's just a matter of experimenting with lots of different recipes. In terms of recipes, they're very close to a biscuit, but with egg added.

One of the things I love about breakfast baking is that you can usually mix up the wet and dry ingredients separately (the night before!), then finish off the mixing to bake off in a few minutes -- even on weekdays!

And -- there's a muffin recipe out there, with many variations, in which the batter keeps in the fridge for up to a few weeks.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Once you get the scone/bisquit thing down you'll need some gravy...

Heat about a teaspoon of marg. and some olive oil in a skillet, Dust with flour and stir it in with the round side of a spoon to get the lumps out-add milk, salt and pepper (you can add powdered red pepper too) to taste and a quick splash of soy sauce. Stir and Cook under medium heat until it thickens.

(Avowed carnivores will want to start by actually frying sausage)

Serve at once, before it skins, over the bisquits-Food of the GodZ...

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:25 pm

GenieU wrote:Food of the GodZ...

Slightly off-topic for a quick, healthy breakfast, but I've recently delved into the sausage gravy world myself. Soooo goooood. Now I need to perfect the country-fried steak to go with it.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:38 pm

Aw, healthy is as healthy does...
Besides I hit 2 out 3.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:47 pm

For a really long time my breakfast was a toasted english muffin with Brummel & Brown (love that stuff!) PB and orange marmalade on one half, slice of cheddar and slice of tomato on the other half. Vewwy quick. Alternatively, a slice of soudough or rye w/the cheese/tomato combo. Those (Dutch? Canadian?) vine-ripened tomatoes are good even in winter.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks all, for the suggestions! I've gotten into a nearly, no cook, grab 'n eat diet. This helps keep it interesting.

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:20 am

How 'bout one more? Avocado toast. Just mash half an avocado into hot, fresh toast. S&P if you like. It's a good change from sweet breakfasts.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:34 am

Am I the only person in the known universe that has never made (before today) scrambled eggs in the microwave? Not as good as in the pan, but no need for butter or oil. Made them in my trusty Le Creuset mini-casserole, swear by those things. I just did two eggs with a splash of milk, also sea salt & fresh ground pepper (yes, I keep these things at my desk :shock: ) for two minutes. A little Cholula, a glass of milk (ok - a plastic bottle of milk) v. good brekkie in less than 5 minutes.

OK, after washing said casserole dish, butter would have been a GREAT idea.
Last edited by cattyr on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:49 am

cattyr wrote:Am I the only person in the known universe that has never made (before today) scrambled eggs in the microwave?

I do it, but pretty much only if I'm making a little breakfast sandwich on a bagel or English muffin, and don't want to focus more attention than necessary on the egg production.

It's good enough if the egg gets stuffed into a sandwich, but if it gets its own spot on the plate, I'll cook it on the stovetop for better texture and appearance.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:59 am

mrak wrote:if it gets its own spot on the plate, I'll cook it on the stovetop for better texture and appearance.

Totally agree. I'd never do it at home, but no stove here at work, so an agreeable discovery that it works fairly decently.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:49 am

mrak wrote:It's good enough if the egg gets stuffed into a sandwich, but if it gets its own spot on the plate, I'll cook it on the stovetop for better texture and appearance.

And if you want an egg that fits perfectly on an English muffin, crack it into a microwave-safe coffee mug.

Side note: Why is it I never saw a single English muffin the whole time I was in England? I would have welcomed it as an alternative to that gawd-awful, one-sided, cold-ass toast. Only the Brits could figure out a way to fuck-up toast (though, frankly, it's a small miracle they don't boil it).

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:03 am

Theres no such thing as "English Muffin" in the U.K. Only in America...What you got is a dry, mass produced fascimile of a crumpet.

doddles
Forum Addict

Postby doddles » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:15 am

GenieU wrote:Theres no such thing as "English Muffin" in the U.K. Only in America...What you got is a dry, mass produced fascimile of a crumpet.
ah - there's nothing better than a nice bit of crumpet in the morning...

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:40 am

Not to be confused with "Strumpet"...

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”