New York Style bagels in Madison just weeks away

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby Jesse Russell » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:00 am

Bessie Cherry was invited in for a sneak peak.

To answer two of the questions raised in the forum:
pastrami: Yes.
bialys: Yes.

As for everything else, go here.

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:34 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:Will someone please explain why a New York bagel is so much better than anything else you csn currently get in Madison?

They cost ~$6.85 to $7.20 apiece, with schmear. And only $0.12 to $0.22 to make, depending on economies of scale.

Sure, there are good bagels and bad bagels, an Madison's had a decades-long run of bad, but whose fault is that? Barry Bagel's himself? Or yours?

The difference between all things New York City and all things Madison, is who's doing the sneering.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:19 pm

I think the difference is in, who's doing the schmearing. The best deli I've
ever been in, was in Fair Lawn, New Jersey. I loved walking in that place and taking a nice deep breath!

Sugar

Postby Sugar » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:41 pm

I am really looking forward to this place. Joe Gaglio is a great guy (I can't help but smile everytime I see him... huge personality!) and besides that, he really knows food. I am sure he will produce a fantastic product. Professional and intelligent. Hope it is a hit! Good luck Joe!

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:58 am

Jesse Russell wrote:Bessie Cherry was invited in for a sneak peak.

To answer two of the questions raised in the forum:
pastrami: Yes.
bialys: Yes.

As for everything else, go here.

The bagels in the photo on that page look freakin' magnificent!

I can't wait to try this place out.

Makes me wish I worked downtown (though I could do without that kind of temptation every day).

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Are they going to be making their own rye bread? That will be almost as hard as making really good pastrami. Those bagels do look good though. No exact date as to opening?

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Look, here's what we need to do to settle this once and for all. The council of bagel snobs need to pick a place in new york and everyone can chip in a few bucks and we'll put in some insanely huge order and have them ship it overnight to jjoyce's office. I am sure it's possible because they did it in entourage.

Then jjoyce will eat them all and tell us if they were as good as everyone claims.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:04 pm

TAsunder wrote:...Then jjoyce will eat them all and tell us if they were as good as everyone claims.

And we could use the same experimental design to settle the "Dog food - poop ratio" discussion.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:03 am

Hmm-reminds me that one of the Former Beatles-McCartney I think it was-used to have his favorite pizza Lear jetted to where ever he happened to be...

I'm sure it was soggy, cold and not quite up to snuff by the time it got there...

I think the romance of context is the great intangible here: meaning new york bagels will only taste good in New York.

I've got a pretty good feeling about this Gotham place, actually, but then my suburban raised, secular Jew with a vengenace dad was decidedly NOT a foodie and swore by Lenders frozen.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:39 am

So I'm a little late ...

1. Yes, it's true that "real NY bagels" are not available around these parts and it's also true that they are good. It's also also true that they are superior to the "bagels" we get around here. None of these facts make the bagels you get in Madison "bad", however.
2. GenieU, sorry, but it matters not at all what city you're in when you eat them. I've never eaten a NY bagel in NY, but I have routinely got them in Chicago. They're better. That said ...
3. Ultimately, a bagel - NY or otherwise - is only as good as what you put on it. Who the fuck wants to eat a dry bagel? In other words, cream cheese is the most important factor in bagel enjoyment, and there's no excuse for having subpar cream cheese when the big name brand - Philadelphia - is both extremely tasty and readily available (btw, for my money, only whipped cream cheese should ever be put on a bagel.) All that other crap is good - meats and veggies and such - but all you really need is cream cheese.
4. I've actually been eating a bagel the whole time I was typing this. I am so cool.

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:56 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:So I'm a little late ...

2. GenieU, sorry, but it matters not at all what city you're in when you eat them. I've never eaten a NY bagel in NY, but I have routinely got them in Chicago. They're better. That said ...

it's best to get a NY bagel in NY, cause then you can usually get a fresh bagel and a cup of coffee for $2. At least, that's been my Brooklyn experience.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:02 am

supereightsnate wrote:it's best to get a NY bagel in NY, cause then you can usually get a fresh bagel and a cup of coffee for $2. At least, that's been my Brooklyn experience.
First of all, I mistyped earlier. I meant to say that you can get a decent NY-style bagel in Chicago, not the real McCoy. My point was that there are lots of Jewish delis in Chicago that make a bagel that is indistinguishable from its NY cousin except geographically. Of course, your penny-pinching explanation for why they're better in NY kinda goes out the window when you take gas money or air fare into consideration, no?

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:11 am

oh, sure. but it's just nice that you can get SOMETHING for cheap in NY. On that note, why is it so much easier to get cheap good food in an expensive place like NYC than in Madison? A good lunch in both places is about the same($7-ish), and you can find some great $4-$5 deals in Manhattan, of all places. Now, that's not kosher.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 am

this joint is my NYC bagel personal benchmark:

http://www.ess-a-bagel.com/

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:29 am

depinmad wrote:this joint is my NYC bagel personal benchmark:

http://www.ess-a-bagel.com/

A few years ago I stayed a few nights at the Radisson at Lex and 48th.
Had breakfast at Ess-A-Bagel every single morning.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”