MacDonald's on Lake Street is Closed

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

MacDonald's on Lake Street is Closed

Postby bassbari » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:28 am

Went by yesterday, and the sign was down and everything was gone. No sign on the door or anything saying what happened. Nothing indicated a remdodel. Anyone know the skinny? I wasn't a big supporter of Mac's since I watched "Supersize Me." But it is interesting to see that there are no big chains other than Taco Bell left in Downtown now.
Is this a sign of the times that Madison would rather support smaller independents or is there just too much competition?
Any thoughts?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: MacDonald's on Lake Street is Closed

Postby Marvell » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 am

bassbari wrote:[I]t is interesting to see that there are no big chains other than Taco Bell left in Downtown now.

Both Chin's and Chipotle are at least partially owned by McDonald's. So - while it may be technically accurate to say that McDonald's has left downtown, I would argue that it's more a case of re-branding themselves so as to cast-off the negative associations that have accumulated towards their flagship product identity.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:14 pm

bassbari wrote:But it is interesting to see that there are no big chains other than Taco Bell left in Downtown now.

I'm not sure of your definition of "big chains" or "downtown", but McDonald's still has a branch at Regent and Mills. Subways are popping up everywhere. Einsteins Bagels, Chipotle, Qdoba, Fudruckers, Starbucks, Domino's, Quizno's, and many other national chains dot the landscape on State St, the Square and other nearby corners.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:35 pm

Finger slipped off the pulse, b?
Been closed for quite awhile.
I'm sad that Wendy's, Burger King, and McDonald's have all pulled out.
Will Taco bell be next?
How many Pink Panty stores and coffee shops do we need on State Street?

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:39 pm

blunt wrote:Will Taco bell be next?

One can only hope!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:44 pm

blunt wrote:How many Pink Panty stores and coffee shops do we need on State Street?

I think State Street should be nothing but Pink Panty stores and coffee shops.

Although I'll concede that at this point my interest in Pink Panties is entirely theoretical...

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:54 pm

roadkill bill wrote:
bassbari wrote:But it is interesting to see that there are no big chains other than Taco Bell left in Downtown now.

I'm not sure of your definition of "big chains" or "downtown", but McDonald's still has a branch at Regent and Mills. Subways are popping up everywhere. Einsteins Bagels, Chipotle, Qdoba, Fudruckers, Starbucks, Domino's, Quizno's, and many other national chains dot the landscape on State St, the Square and other nearby corners.

What constitutes Downtown? X mile radius from the Square? TDP dosn't even consider Regent Street in their Eats list as Downtown, and for anyone walking in Downtown, Mills and Regent is pushing it. Now from Campus that is another story. The farthest eatery on their list is the Memorial Union at 800 Langdon.

I don't consider any of the aformentioned in the same catagory as MacDonald's. I am not an Business major but anyone knows that none of these comes close to Mac's Supper Club. Anyone have any statistics? I am also aware that Chipolte is a subsidiadary of MacDonald's as is Qdoba is to Foodmaker aka Jack in the Box, but I wouldn't consider any of the others mentioned in the same league.

BTW, where is Domino's downtown?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:14 pm

I'm kind of sorry, there's no Mac's downtown. That night I got stuck waiting at Metro's South Transfer point, I was cold and hungry, so I decided to have a small meal. I had a small cheeseburger, small fries, gormet coffee, and apple pie. I enjoyed that meal utterly, totally and completely. My happy meal made me happy!

Besides that, the homeless do like to hang out at Starbuck's! Ha,ha! Why aren't they panhandling at the banks and condos instead of everywhere else?

I wonder what would happen, if a panhandler, did what Julie Andrews did, in "Victor-Victoria" going into a restaurant, eating and then not paying. Would they get a nice warm jail cell out of it too?
Last edited by Bwis53 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:25 pm

McDonalds doesn't or won't have any stock in Chipotle very soon.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/corp/news/fnpr ... 90706.html

I used to work really close to that McDonalds, and I have to say it was perfect for cheap hungover 15 minute breaks. But otherwise I'm not sad it's gone. This will force people to take a chance and eat at Med Cafe or Rising Sons Cafe. As for the withdrawal of cheap eats on State Street? It kind of makes sense, doesn't it? Rent is high and cheap burgers only make so much money.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:03 pm

I wonder how the folks over at the Regent St McDonalds feel about the McClosings (on Lake and the square). I imagine they have their hands full.
McGriddles are the bomb-diggity.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:07 pm

bassbari wrote:BTW, where is Domino's downtown?

hmmm, I thought there was one on University Ave, just after it stops being Gorham, but I can't find a listing for it.

Scratch that.

As I said, your definition of "downtown" or "big chain" may vary from mine. But really, although it isn't a greasy burger fast food chain, you can't argue that Subway isn't a big chain. I had heard that there were more Subways than McDonalds. A quick Google - I'm too lazy to spend much time on it - found this:

Several other references confirm that subway has more US outlets than McDonald's.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 pm

NEWS UPDATE!
I was just talking to someone who worked in the area. She heard that the US Post office that was at University Square might go there. Rumor or fact? Blunt this is your mission. Inquiring minds want and need to know.

And I forgot, Domino's is in the 400 block of Gorham Street in the new highrise. Competition for Papa Johns in the next block around the curve. :roll:

Rants:
I miss the dollar menu at Wendy's!
I wish Culver's would invade the campus area.
How about a Fazoli's?
It is sad that the homeless have once again been ejected from a warm place.
Another fact is that Walgreens at State and Lake will move into the new complex where U Square was. Told to me by the former owners of the Den. It put them out of business.

Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby Jesse Russell » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:01 pm

bassbari wrote:
Rants:
I miss the dollar menu at Wendy's!
I wish Culver's would invade the campus area.
How about a Fazoli's?
It is sad that the homeless have once again been ejected from a warm place.
Another fact is that Walgreens at State and Lake will move into the new complex where U Square was. Told to me by the former owners of the Den. It put them out of business.

What about bringing back Radical Rye before the chains?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:13 pm

roadkill bill wrote:
bassbari wrote:BTW, where is Domino's downtown?

hmmm, I thought there was one on University Ave, just after it stops being Gorham, but I can't find a listing for it.

I've seen a Domino's there too, on the first floor of some high rise student housing.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:18 pm

Jesse Russell wrote:What about bringing back Radical Rye before the chains?

...and without the rodent infestation?

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”