Sandwich Confessional

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Cats and Kids of the 90s around Wicker Park in Chicago will no doubt remember Leo's Lunchroom. It was a shabby little storefront lunch counter whose hipster owners had nudged the menu towards gormet. Sadly it's no longer here for us.

My favorite was a Huge hot Pastrami sandwich that came with cream cheese and green onions. You had to make a point of asking for it to be grilled. My dear friend tried to send one back once for this reason and the cook came out from the behind the counter carrying the sandwich before her and inquiring if he'd like to wear it instead.

They had excellent breakfast items too: the bisquits and gravy and breakfast burrito were not to be equalled-it's no accident at all that we named our first-born child "Leo".

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am

Haven't had one since forever, but when I was a kid I used to eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches all the time. Never was much of a jelly fan.

The best was when the honey would sort of crystalize on the bread.

Bee shit is da bomb.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:59 am

I still eat those. PB, w/sliced bananas and honey & cinnamon. Doesn't do much for my figure, but....

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:Haven't had one since forever, but when I was a kid I used to eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches all the time. Never was much of a jelly fan.

The best was when the honey would sort of crystalize on the bread.

Bee shit is da bomb.

There is a solution to that problem!

I used to do this for my boys:

Smear PB on one slice, smear a thinner but solid layer on the other slice, then put honey on the thinner layer of PB. The two layers of PB, prevent the honey from turning the bread into another honeycomb! Works for the jelly problem too.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:43 am

I love a croque-monsieur or madame. Has anyone ever seen these on any Madison menu? I've never tried to make one at home, not sure what kind of bread I would use - I don't normally buy white bread, any suggestions?

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:23 am

I've come to the conclusion that my mother was not a very good cook. My brothers insist that she was just a product of her time - frozen and canned food, casseroles, meat & potatoes sorts of things. Bland was entirely the way to go.

My favorite sandwiches from childhood:

* grilled cheese made with Velveeta (with Campbell's tomato soup)
* Fluffernutters (PB and marshmallow fluff)
* PB&Js - of course
* Oscar Meyer bologna and butter
* butter and sugar
* cream cheese and jelly
* PB and honey

Somehow, even with no guidance on decent nutrition or cooking skills, I ended up being a great cook with a taste for exotic foods. And I eat pretty healthy, too. All the things I hated as a child are now my favorite foods.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 am

Bwis53 wrote:The two layers of PB, prevent the honey from turning the bread into another honeycomb! Works for the jelly problem too.

You misunderstood me. I appreciate the honeycombing effect.

But I appreciate your sandwich engineering prowess all the same.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:19 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Oscar Meyer bologna and butter

I had a livetime supply of them (on Wonder Bread, of course) by the time I was in high school. Haven't had one in close to 40 years. I'm sure if I tried another one, I'd gag on it.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:44 pm

NICE! I'm with Chuck, PB + Honey was a childhood favorite of mine.. I still eat them on occasion!

Also, I have fond childhood memories of my father making me an "Elvis Presley", which was merely a PB + Banana, pan fried with buttered bread. Delicious!! Haven't had one of these in years, and I have bananas in the house.. hmmmmm.

Somone mentioned Fraboni's in an earlier post, and I think my current favorite sandwich contains ingredients from this fine establishement. Genoa, Capicollo Ham(sp?), and provolone on either a nice sourdough or wheat. double bonus if its la brea garlic sourdough.. oh man.

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Wow. This thread has been great fun to read! Amazing to see what we have in common and what diverges.

-- Neat to see some regional tastes in the mention of pork roll and scrapple. I've read of, but not tasted, both. I think pork roll was featured several months ago in Saveur.

-- Mashed potato sandwiches: I did a variation a few times. Mom made roast beef (with mashed potatoes, along with the carrots & onions that roasted with the meat) regularly, and I would mix up the leftovers (along with the gravy) for my own version of hash. I recall eating it cold between two slices of Roman Meal, buttered. (Roman Meal and its ilk was my bread of childhood at home; squishy, white bread at my grandparents'. Once I started working at one of the area's better bakeries/restaurants, I ate much tastier, more nutritional stuff. To this day, bread is arguably my favorite food both to eat and to make.)

-- Sloppy Joes were called barbecues in my house. Browned ground beef cooked with ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, maybe a little vinegar and molasses. Always served on white hamburger buns, unless you were eating leftovers and we were out of buns. Then -- you guessed it -- Roman Meal.

-- Related: hot dogs in buns. When we had one but not the other, we rolled 'em up in bread. I don't think I could stomach that now.

-- Rooster sauce? Is this some kind of hot sauce? Before I Google it, can someone describe it?

-- The only use I could possibly see in my diet anymore for Velveeta is grilled cheese. I grew up on Velveeta grilled cheese, baby. And with tomato soup on the side, it was heaven. (I've always felt sorry for the poor saps who grew up eating Kraft-American slices-grilled-cheese. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.) I haven't bought Velveeta in a good ten years, and haven't eaten it in a few.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is eternally comforting. Just the thought of it turns me on...

-- Genie, where in Wicker Park was Leo's? I lived there for six months a couple years ago.

-- I LOVE the way honey crystallizes on bread. Dayum. And it always reminds me of my grandfather, who kept honey on the table at all times and ate it daily. He said it was good for his health.

Keep it coming!

EDIT: My dad says he used to eat mustard sandwiches. Gag me with a spoon. This is a man who crowns hot pancakes with butter and granulated sugar and does NOT eat such exotic foods as pizza or tacos, though.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:17 pm

Inspired by this thread and a desperate need to eat something hearty, I tried a new (for me) concoction.

whole 7-grain bread
Swiss cheese
dijon mustard (although something more grainy would be better)
dill pickle spears, sliced thin

Toast the bread, lay out the cheese and nuke it for a few seconds to soften the cheese. Lay out the pickles and spread the mustard thinly on the other slice of bread. Combine, slice in half, eat.

Good good GOOD, and not quite as naughty since it's not grilled.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:21 pm

Rosemary wrote:-- Rooster sauce? Is this some kind of hot sauce? Before I Google it, can someone describe it?

It is a hot sauce, frequently seen on tables in Asian restaurants. Real name: Sriracha. Made mostly from sun-ripened chile peppers, with vinegar, garlic and a little sugar and salt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:23 pm

Oh, duh! I'd not heard it called that before. Good stuff. Thanks!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:30 pm

Rooster sauce is probably a better nickname for Sriracha than cock sauce.

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:57 pm

::rimshot::

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”