Sandwich Confessional

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Sandwich Confessional

Postby Rosemary » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:53 pm

Because I'm in the Monroe street area every Tuesday night after work until at least 9p, I'm always out for good eats in the area. Tonight, I stopped by Alex Polish American Deli for the first time. I asked the older, bespectacled man about sandwiches; he waved at about four or five different hams for my choices. I saw no fresh vegetables in the vicinity of the meat slicer and cutting board, so I knew I was in for something more basic than that sort of sandwich I usually eat. What I didn't anticipate was the flashback to childhood when I finally unwrapped the deli paper around one half. It was deliciously simple: thinly-sliced, garlicky ham on two slices of firm, white bread, slathered with spicy brown mustard and mayo. As I ate, I tried to recall when I'd last had a sandwich so close to the ones I ate all the time as a child. It was so good -- good and refreshing and pleasing in the way that the occasional just-cheese pizza is good, or a glass of cold milk. That sort of thing.

All this has gotten me thinking of other sandwiches from my younger years. I still love a buttered ham sandwich, with just the three components: white bread, thick-sliced ham, and butter. This has always struck me as a very Midwestern sandwich, though I don't have much proof to back it up. (Maybe it's just lots of Garrison Keillor.) In the Bad Ideas department that precedes the Food Dork era of my life, I once brought a ketchup and American cheese sandwich to school. (I went hungry that day.) And if Grandma's got ham salad in her fridge when I visit, I'll have a ham salad sandwich, too. Seems like there's at least one more kicking around in my memory, so I'll post it later.

Your turn. What sandwiches made you happy when you were a kid? Do you crave them now? How about your current favorite combinations? And what about your failures? Please top my ketchup-and-American-cheese memory, because the thought of it even now is making me gag. Perhaps, in a chemically-induced state, you made something that seemed like a good idea at the time, but...

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sandwich Confessional

Postby Ducatista » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Great timing! Just this past weekend I decided to recreate the childhood favorite my Aunt Rose used to make for me: homemade white bread (hers was the best on the planet), butter, and summer sausage. I hadn't had that combo in probably 25 years.

Saturday I bought some Pepperidge Farm Very Thin Sliced White, a tub of Land o'Lakes light butter, and a package of Oscar Mayer Summer Sausage Thuringer Cervalat (that's what the label saysâ??and in fact Aunt Rose always called it thuringer). God DAMN that's a good sandwich!

And it caused an epiphany: mayo sucks. I've put mayonnaise on sandwiches for years, and I'll never do it again. Butter, you bet, and I do like mustard on a ham sandwich. But no mayo, no way. Still makes a good dip for french fries, though.

Sugar

Postby Sugar » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:07 pm

ok, i have the bad sandwich of all time, chunky peanut butter and whipped cream wait no it was cool whip. By noon it was rancid and slimy! I went hungry that day also and then tried peanut butter and marshmallow cream. That sounded like a good idea...it was not.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:08 pm

i remember vividly the day my dad made me a peanut butter and banana on toast. i still can't get over how good that is.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:54 pm

Fav's from childhood:

- Leftover Thanksgiving turkey w/cranberries, stuffing, mayo and salt on white.
- Grilled spiral cut ham with swiss cheese on hand sliced sourdough.
- Sugar and butter on wonder bread (whoa, that's diggin deep).

I still love the first two, haven't had the sugar sammy in a coupla three decades tho.

garmonbozia

Postby garmonbozia » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:18 am

From easy to "sophisticated", my childhood favorites:

-butter and salt on toast
-mayo, mild cheddar and tabasco on white toast
-cut up hot dogs simmered in green pepper and tomato sauce in a hotdog bun

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:13 am

Still one of my favorites:
Peanut butter and bacon on any kind of toast.
Sounds weird but is delish!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:21 am

Peanut butter goes with just about anything. Peanut butter & dill pickle is one of my favorites. Peanut butter & lettuce (gotta be iceberg) is good, too.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:26 am

cheddar and peanut butter.

when we were little, it was bologna sammiches. butter on a skillet, 2 slices of O-M bologna, fry em up and slap them between 2 peices of Wonder bread. We liked to watch them make that big bubble in the middle when it got hot.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:58 am

I believe there is such a thing as good white bread, but I feel lucky, I was raised on good,tart sour-dough rye. My favorite lunchbox sandwhich was sour-dough with hard salami and good mustard. I've had me some good ones at Scott's and Sentry's Deli. They will add lettuce,tomatoe and onion. Just make sure your sweetie eats something spicy too.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:24 am

Old-timers have heard this one but it's been a long time since we had a good sandwich thread, so it's worth posting again.

My food upbringing was mostly latter-day hippie. We made our own bread (family of four, rotate Saturdays to bake) and though I was never a true vegetarian, my folks were and are. My brother's & my favorite sandwich we dubbed "The Super Duper Party Pooper" - couldn't tell you how or why now. Still a great combo in my book.

Pumpernickel, stone-ground mustard, aged Muenster cheese, fat garden tomato slices, sardines.

*runs to fridge to fetch triple cream Danish blue and Westphalian pumpernickel*

Prolly more later.

zelda
Forum Addict

Postby zelda » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:34 am

When I was in high school, we liked to see who could bring the weirdest sandwich for lunch - and actually eat it. We came up with cheese, peanut butter and mustard and it turned out to be an odd, but good combo. The mustard cuts the stickiness of the peanut butter.

Lately I've been eating Fraboni's mortadella (the kind with pistachios) on freshly toasted Italian/French bread. Just mortadella and bread.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:38 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll is one of my favorites from childhood. Once a year my family sends me one. It's hard to describe exactly what it is, but it contains ground pork shoulder. I'll slice it, fry it in butter and make Pork Roll Egg and Cheese sandwiches on a hard roll. Delicious. Until recently, you couldn't get it outside of New Jersey, NY and PA. Now you can buy it on the internet and have it shipped.

Other favorites:

Pepper and Egg sandwiches that my granfather used to make.

Italian Sausage with peppers and onions on good bread.

Hot Dogs with Peppers, onions and Potatos on a hoagie roll.

And Sunday's, the best of all. After grocery shopping, I'd sit down with my grandfather and make Prosciutto and tomato sandwiches on hot italian bread.

Oh, I guess I can't ever forget real cheese steak sandwiches too.

Now I'm hungry.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:41 am

zelda - I really love mortadella, but back in the day my zany waitress buddy Rachel almost put me off it with this description when we'd be making Italian salad prep: "pig butt, nut, gut, cut."

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:23 am

Excellent topic. We were big sandwich-eaters as kids mainly because my mom would let us watch TV while eating them:

BMM-Baloney/mustard/mayonaise on white (Ordered thusly: "Hey Ma!Can I have a BMM?")
Baloney and corn chips on white
Fried baloney on white
Peanut butter and corn chips on white
Scrapple and grape jelly on white
Liverwurst on white (excellent after sitting in your locker all morning)
My brother would also make mashed potato sandwichs (on white, of course) at the dinner table on occasion.

And yes, I have an angioplaste scheduled for next week.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”