Peanut Butter et al

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Peanut Butter: name brand, or natural?

Leading Brands
22%
Lesser known, but same style as leading brands
11%
Organic / natural
67%
Homemade
No votes
Peanut butter? I snack on regular butter, straight up
No votes

Total votes: 18

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Peanut Butter et al

Postby lysander » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:15 pm

Okay, I decided to post this here rather than threadjack the topic on Willy St. Co-Op. It seems that many folks here prefer 'real' peanut butter as opposed to 'commercial' peanut butter. Only peanuts and salt, they say.

I am not in this group. I've tried 'natural' peanut butter and thought it tasted like ass. And it separated, with oil on top and nasty paste on the bottom. A tub of Fisher's Creamy is where it's at if you ask me.

So I ask you, Forons, what are the best brands of 'real' peanut butter are best? Any tips on making it taste better? And if it's just peanuts and salt, why not make it yourself?

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:33 pm

I buy natural because I like the taste, can't stand that skippy and jif crap. Why ingest hydrogenated and whatever else they do to it peanuts??? Can't remember the name, it's $2.39 a big jar at Woodies. And at $2.39 it doesn't make any sense to make your own.

Taste better? It's just peanuts, if you don't like the taste of peanuts, why eat it?? I suppose you could pour sugar on it. It would taste 'better'.

slice up some bananas and layer them on bread, drizzle with honey and sprinkle some cinnamon over it.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:59 pm

As long as it's chunky. Can't stand smooth peanut butter.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:03 pm

As a kid, I much preferred the Jif/Skippy-type mainstream peanut butters. Most kids do, but that's no big surprise - the stuff is sweetened with sugar (or corn syrup), as are ketchup and SpaghettiOs and other "kid stuff".

Most kids will prefer stuff with added sugar when given the choice. Paco's definitely onto something here.

That type of peanut butter also contains partially hydrogenated fats to keep it from separating. They're a rich source of trans fats, the current nutritional bogeyman (and deservedly so).

Maybe these fats are to blame, but the mainstream stuff has a gummy texture I can't stand anymore.

I buy the Holsum brand of natural PB that's so prevalent around here (it's distributed by a company in Waukesha). Yes, it has a thick layer of oil on top. All you need do is stir it up really well when you first open it, and then store it in the refrigerator.

It'll go from thinner to thicker as you work your way down the jar, eventually getting fairly stiff. At that point I store it at room temperature, and it stays plenty soft enough to spread.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:05 pm

As long as it's smooth, can't stand chunky.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:20 pm

You may just like the commercial stuff better. I tried several natural brands. I still prefer Skippy Honey-Roasted. Consumer Reports did a test of various peanut butter brands, including natural. Most people prefered the full-sugar, hyrdogenated stuff. Stuff that is bad for you often tastes yummy!

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:37 pm

I suppose the addition of oil and sugar would explain my preference. I have something of a taste for junk food.

According to the label on my jar, it has no trans fats. Fisher Creamy Ingredients: peanuts, sugar and/or dextrose, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and salt.

It seems that natural peanut butters don't really have less fat than name-brand types.
http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default. ... prodid=110
http://www.eastwindnutbutters.com/orgpbsmns.html
http://www.jif.com/products/details.asp?prodID=325
http://www.krema.com/faq.asp (at the bottom)

Paco, thanks for reminding me of the Elvis pb & banana sandwich. According to Google, the King's receipe:
-2 slices of white bread
-2 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
-1 small ripe banana mashed
-2 tablespoons butter
PB & banana inside, butter in the frying pan to heat it.

Cashew butter and almond butter sound pretty good, and I've never gone more exotic than Nutella. Gonna put those on the grocery list...

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:12 pm

lysander wrote:According to the label on my jar, it has no trans fats. Fisher Creamy Ingredients: peanuts, sugar and/or dextrose, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and salt.

It seems that natural peanut butters don't really have less fat than name-brand types.

Right you are. I wouldn't expect them to; about 3/4 of the calories in peanuts are from fat, so when they include oil in peanut butter, they're displacing mostly fat with other fat. What's at issue here is that some fats are worse for you than others.

If the ingredients on the Fisher jar say there's hydrogenated oil in it, then there is most likely some trans fat in it. If their designated serving size keeps it under 0.5 grams, they're allowed to list it as zero on the label.

nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:02 pm

my grandma always used jif peanut butter for her peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (which were awesome). She looked suspiciously at the health food peanut butter i asked her to make them with instead. I was 19 at the time. But she tried it. She was a convert after that. somehow the cookies were better. not a shocker to me, but whatever! She bragged about it to all the other little old ladies in her condo association.

doddles
Forum Addict

Postby doddles » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:12 pm

Got the Smuckers myself. Don't care about the oil on top - just stir it in. And I *hate* added sugar. In fact, I hate eating peanut butter with anything sweet. Just toast, crackers or french bread and peanut butter for me.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:55 am

Eastwind unsalted. After the initial mixing of the oil and the nut butter, I find that it stays mixed better if I store the jar upside down. That way I don't have to spend as long a time stirring before I make my pb&j. I find that my pb&j's taste better when I control the amount of salt in them, too. Just a little sprinkle across the peanut-buttered half of the sandwich works wonders.

cristobal
Forum Addict

Postby cristobal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:53 am

I kind of agree about the pre-packaged all-natural peanut butter. Some are not so good. Also the separated oil on the top is annoying.

The fresh-ground, chunky from the coop is awesome. It doesn't separate and is "all peanut all the time".

Cristobal

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:57 am

Smuckers Natural Chunky is good enough for me. The taste is so much better than the industrial-grade PB, I don't mind the stirring. And it's only really annoying the first time.

I've heard the upside-down storage idea, and tried it, and it just made a mess the next time I opened it.

AndyWx80
Forum Addict

Postby AndyWx80 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:28 am

smucker's natural product was my favorite until trader joe's opened. they have a very inexpensive (less than 2 bucks) PB that works wonders for my cravings (which are sometimes thrice daily).

also, a tip for the separation problem: keep it in the 'fridge like it tells you to. after you stir it the first time, it won't separate again.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:33 am

AndyWx80 wrote:also, a tip for the separation problem: keep it in the 'fridge like it tells you to. after you stir it the first time, it won't separate again.

And then you better have bread as dense as concrete if you want to be able to spread it without waiting for it to thaw.

I'm not a fan of delayed gratification when it comes to peanut butter. Don't care how, I want it now.

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”