Dinner Habits

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!
Snipely

Dinner Habits

Postby Snipely » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Paul and I'm a graduate student looking for information on daily dinner routines for a project. If you have 10 minutes to answer 21 short questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

All answers are confidential - I have no access to your e-mail identity or any other information linking you to the replies. Please answer as honestly as you can. Thanks very much!

You can access the survey by clicking on the link below.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=207242192615

I'll be happy to share the results here when the project is over.

PB

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:06 pm

Just did the survey. One question: what's the asterisk for on #17?

Snipely

Postby Snipely » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:38 pm

The asterisk means it's a required question - the survey would direct you back to it if you left it blank. Thanks for your help!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:08 am

Hey Paul --

You might clarify the survey question with the seven choices by stating that #1 is MOST IMPORTANT and #7 is LEAST -- or vice versa. I assumed #1 was most important but sometimes rankings like that go the other way, with greater weight going to larger numbers and the points being summed up to get a weighting.

Snipely

Postby Snipely » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:54 pm

Good point. I'll clarify. Thanks!

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:55 pm

snoqueen, nice catch.

I write surveys frequently, so I'm going to point a few things out. I hope it's helpful - or at the very least doesn't piss you off.

9. How many nights a week do you prepare dinner or eat out?
The answers do not cover all options. I frequently skip dinner. You should at least have an "other" option.

12. How much would you expect to spend per person on dinner at a restaurant?
Depends on the restaurant. A better question would be "What do you spend per person at the restaurants you frequent most often?" Exclusion of drinks and any other items is probably needed, too, judging by the rest of the survey.

14. How do you plan your family meals? (If you cook from scratch daily, leave blank.)
How does cooking from scratch negate the need for planning every day? This could be taken as an insult which is about the worst thing you can do to someone who is giving you their time. This behavior (cooking from scratch daily) should be revealed through another question. Another problem: By having them skip it and allowing others to skip it as well, you don't know if it was a refusal to answer or if they cook from scratch daily.

17. Home cooked meals are:
This needs a directive of some sort. I had no idea what kind of answer you are after here. Direct them to complete the sentence with the first thought that comes to them, if that's what you're after. My answer (yummy) probably is not the kind of response you are trying to get.

Good luck - and please do post the results here.

The UW has a class on writing surveys that is worth taking if you will be doing more of this kind of thing. I think it's through Political Science or Sociology. Another option is to ask the UWSC to review your survey. I don't think it's a service that they offer, but if you're a grad student I'm sure there is someone there that would be willing to look over a short survey such as this and offer some advice.

garmonbozia

Postby garmonbozia » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:04 pm

Hey,
It is probably late to note this, but at least it will help you last time in terms of wording questions. Question 8 "Does your family have dinner at home every night?" assumes that you have a family (I am guessing apart from your parental family) It gets a little bit confusing when you are single, and have parents (hence your family) somewhere else. Or maybe I am too picky :) Hope this helps

The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Big Cheese » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:52 am

That survey was moronic. Why not just ask:

Can I sell you some prepackaged dinners? What would you pay for TGIF in a tray?

Except, you went incredibly zen with this one:

How important is time to you?

Of course, you answer that one, de facto, by completing the survey: Obviously, not that important.

Shpiker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shpiker » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:01 am

I could do without time.

Snipely

Postby Snipely » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:59 pm

The Big Cheese wrote:That survey was moronic. Why not just ask:

Can I sell you some prepackaged dinners? What would you pay for TGIF in a tray?

Except, you went incredibly zen with this one:

How important is time to you?

Of course, you answer that one, de facto, by completing the survey: Obviously, not that important.

ROFL! Good one..well, it served its purpose. Thanks for the feedback though!
PB

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:47 pm

Snipely wrote:ROFL! Good one..well, it served its purpose. Thanks for the feedback though!
PB

Shay-DEE. There are some trusting Forons here. I can't believe people go to these survey pages based on some one-post-er's request. This and the music one make me itchy.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:59 am

TheBookPolice wrote: make me itchy.

You sure it's just not the latest herpes outbreak?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:22 am

TheBookPolice wrote: make me itchy.

You sure it's just not the latest herpes outbreak?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give me a fucking break. What are you, 13?

Return to “Cooking & Food issues”