"I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:26 pm

jjoyce wrote:You're not just opting to take your kids to the park, you're being a "proper" dad (your word). So those who spend time working on their houses are being improper parents?

Kee-rist, is that what this is all about? Let's try this again:

A) By not spending an inordinate amount of time obsessing over my lawn, I have more free time to spend with my kids in my never-ending attempt to be a proper father (a challenge in and of itself).

B) Those who spend time on their lawns are not proper fathers.

B isn't a fair or accurate restatement of A.

I mow my freakin' lawn, JJ (which I wouldn't exactly categorize as "working on my house," but that's neither here nor there). I guess what I was trying to evoke was the image of some of the guys I saw when I was growing up who appeared to grasp any excuse to spend all day manicuring the lawn (gotta edge, gotta trim, gotta fertilize, gotta aerate) because it was the most convenient excuse not to have to interact with their families. It was, I thought, a completely innocuous comment, or, at least a caricature of the OG Lawn Guys of my youth. Sorry if you took it personally. Your only retort was that I was playing "the dad card" (your words), which was a rather obtuse comment, if you ask me. My intended point was the weekend is the only significant chunk of time I get to spend with my kids, who, at ages 4 and 6, could give a rat's ass about yard work for more than about 5 minutes at a stretch.

And then, when challenged, you start misrepresenting the argument. And that's when it gets irksome.

See, I didn't realize that was the argument. You started going off about how a neighborhood is judged by the quality of its lawns or something and I assumed from your tone you were deriding my lack of giving a shit beyond the bare minimum of upkeep.

You're right. Not that I really care. Which was the only point I was trying to make to begin with. I mean, shit, you'd think I'd abducted Helen of Troy over here.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 pm

"or something"

Yeah, who really cares what was actually written or the context in which it was written? Got it.

Like that?

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Jesus Fuckin'-a Christ, Joyce. Did I piss in your metaphysical Cheerios or something?

Take a fuckin' vacation or some shit, ya crank.

I give. Uncle. Whatever the fuck you expect me to say.

Better now? Need a fuckin' Band-Aid?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:11 pm

jjoyce wrote:I couldn't care less if Wagstaff posts here.

jjoyce wrote:Yeah, who really cares what was actually written or the context in which it was written?

Well, you care enough that you quoted something I wrote in the paper last week. And you did so completely divorced from any context -- and heavily edited -- which kinda sorta totally changed the implications of what I wrote. (Instead of a response to your post about ridiculous notions of what constitutes binge drinking, it became a standalone paean to drunkenness. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.) But who cares what I actually wrote or the context in which it was written, right?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:46 am

Still the backbone of TDPF.

We still don't get it.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”