"I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

"I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm

These rhetorical devices are the worst. Jeff Fitzgerald was a fan of the former.

For the uninitiated, these typically precede or come after classic straw man arguments, ridiculous exaggerations or some other type of intellectually dishonest rhetorical device, often in a TDPF argument. For example:

Person A: I think it would be interesting to see how an international baccalaureate charter school serving primarily minority kids would work in Madison.

Person B: So you're on David Koch's side when it comes to the full-scale dismantling of public education. Got it.

Or:

A: I'm concerned that all this road construction is hurting local businesses.

B: I get it. We should just let the road crumble and the infrastructure fall apart. That way cars wouldn't get in the way of your bike all the time. Got it.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby bdog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:59 pm

"Okay, so let me get this straight..."

doppel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 631
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: varies
Contact:

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby doppel » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm

I suppose you are now going to tell us you got it from a toilet seat.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9647
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:11 pm


gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5083
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:16 pm

I get it. You're stirring up some traffic. I'm glad to see it. Got it!

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:For the uninitiated, these typically precede or come after classic straw man arguments, ridiculous exaggerations or some other type of intellectually dishonest rhetorical device, often in a TDPF argument.

Except that the example that sent you skittering off to pen this thread was, "I get it, a manicured lawn is a priority for you."

So I'm just curious. Does that fall into the classic straw man argument, ridiculous exaggeration, or the catch-all category of dishonest rhetorical devices?

Really, you couldn't connect the dots between the first and second clauses in that sentence?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Ridiculous exaggeration.

a) I like keep my lawn looking nice
b) a manicured lawn is a priority

B isn't a fair or accurate restatement of A. You're using a gimmick to restate it in a way that's easier to ridicule. But you're ridiculing a misrepresentation, not reality.

Imagine if we were speaking face-to-face and I said what I said. Would you reply with what you said?

This is how the political class communicates.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:31 am

jjoyce wrote:Ridiculous exaggeration.

a) I like keep my lawn looking nice
b) a manicured lawn is a priority

B isn't a fair or accurate restatement of A. You're using a gimmick to restate it in a way that's easier to ridicule. But you're ridiculing a misrepresentation, not reality.

Really?

To quote: "Our backyard was one of the biggest reasons we bought our house, so I like to keep it looking nice. I don't like spending as much time there if it looks cruddy."

Sort of makes it sound like cutting the grass is one of your domestic priorities, does it not? But whatevs, bro. If you wanna split hairs, I'll loan you my straight razor. Thing scares the hell out of me these days anyhow.

Imagine if we were speaking face-to-face and I said what I said. Would you reply with what you said?

Um ... yeah, probably, as outrageous a statement as it is and all that. In the catalog of contentious statements I've made, this wouldn't merit a footnote.

This is how the political class communicates.

The notion that I'm representative of the "political class" is one of the funniest fuckin' things I've read on this forum in an eon. You wanna talk ridiculous exaggerations?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 am

How does saying "this is how the political class communicates" even imply that you represent the political class? It says what it says, that you speak in spin, like politicians do. You might also swear like a longshoreman, but how does that add up to being representative of pier culture? Perhaps communication to you is all about reading between the lines and drawing conclusions about what people really mean.

That's sort of a sport on this board, which is why the "I get it..." is such a knee jerk reaction. I say A, but you get it, what I really mean is B. Got it.

I mean, I get it. You're not interested in having a respectful conversation because what fun would that be? You're not here for that, you're here for the conflict. Got it.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:05 am

jjoyce wrote:You're not interested in having a respectful conversation because what fun would that be? You're not here for that, you're here for the conflict. Got it.


Says the moderator who constantly tries to create conflict. :roll:

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3614
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:24 am

Stebben84 wrote:Says the moderator who constantly tries to create conflict. :roll:

Remember, conflict = clicks.
I get it, Joyce is just trying to pick up the slack for those who are serially ignored here.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:58 am

jjoyce wrote:I mean, I get it. You're not interested in having a respectful conversation because what fun would that be? You're not here for that, you're here for the conflict. Got it.

I've had plenty of respectful exchanges here, and my initial reply to that stupid lawn thread was exactly that. Why you and Ninja got sand up your pricks about it is anyone's guess.

You're on record as saying you could care less if anyone posts here. Frankly, maybe you're right. If I'm not contributing anything of value, perhaps it's time I quit trying to help this slowly dying board stay afloat any longer.

So yeah ... got it.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:You're on record as saying you could care less if anyone posts here.


Where? I never wrote that.

I said I couldn't care less if Wagstaff posts here. It's not the same. What's this weird relationship you have with language?

I agree that you've had plenty of respectful exchanges here. They tend to be with those who agree with you. Exchanges with others tend to be the opposite of respectful, which can be funny and entertaining and even enlightening because ultimately nobody really cares about two anonymous user accounts slinging mud at each other. Holding it up as some kind of benefit seems to be a stretch.

I don't care that you're less than enthusiastic about mowing, it's that your choice is about values or something noble. You're not just opting to take your kids to the park, you're being a "proper" dad (your word). So those who spend time working on their houses are being improper parents? And then, when challenged, you start misrepresenting the argument. And that's when it gets irksome.

If you care. I'm sure you don't.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3226
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby O.J. » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Do you want us to contribute to the Internet Forum you run or not?


"Us" doesn't mean just Wagstaff, does it Jason?

You just don't get it, do you?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3614
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: "I get it, ..." / "... Got it."

Postby jman111 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:40 pm

O.J. wrote:"Us" doesn't mean just Wagstaff, does it Jason?

Maybe it's Joyce that has the "weird relationship" with language.


Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest