Adam Powell on the state of online community

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Adam Powell on the state of online community

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:57 am

Yeah but if I recall correctly, there have been long spells of ignoring for both of them. They just increased quantity and got even smarmier till somebody, usually a newcomer, finally jumped in. And that always, always works.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 am

People have the discussions they want to have here. You respond to EXACTLY what you believe warrants a response.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 am

So if the troll crew monopolizes all the threads that are not about food or music, and nobody responds to them, what happens to the discussions here?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 am

snoqueen wrote:So if the troll crew monopolizes all the threads that are not about food or music, and nobody responds to them, what happens to the discussions here?

Discussions become entirely one-sided, and someone just happening by here runs the risk of acquiring an extremely distorted view of this community and reality in general.

Some of the crap put out by our cornier posters should not be left unchallenged.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:30 am

wack wack wrote:Discussions become entirely one-sided, and someone just happening by here runs the risk of acquiring an extremely distorted view of this community and reality in general.

I agree to an extent. One poster in particular has a tendency to tattle to another blog and link to the discussion. People from that blog will come here and I think it's worthy to see intelligent rebuttals and discussions. Sometimes it is hard to not tell them to just fuck off although.

guilty as charged

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:32 am

Stebben84 wrote:Sometimes it is hard to not tell them to just fuck off although.

guilty as charged

Some of the stuff posted here is so, so ridiculous, there really is no other response.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 am

There you have it, Jason.

A couple of trolls and the fish they manage to catch are pretty much controlling the action.

It ain't you or me having the discussions we want to have. It's us watching somebody else's flame wars.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 am

The evidence shows challenging it does nothing. I know how challengers feel, and to challenge nonsense and knock it down with reason or cleverness used to work just fine. They'd go ouch, I guess I just made a fool of myself -- and think it over, shut up, leave, or wind up talking themselves into a corner.

Not any more. These guys aren't here to debate, they're here to shit all over.

I'd suggest they are not community members at all and on those grounds I'd close their accounts. Being a member of a community (and it wasn't me who chose that term) carries responsibilities along with rights. The first responsibility is not to shit all over. It's being done deliberately and with destructive intent, not to inform or discuss or even entertain. I don't know if there's a back story or not, and frankly I don't care.

If something is happening at another site that sends people here (and I've long thought this was so) why is deletion forbidden? If people act right, they can stay. There's no winning and losing -- it's a matter of maintaining the integrity of one of Isthmus's promotional features, this forum. Pacifism is hardly a good business model.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 am

At one time "contempt for the community" was grounds for action.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:31 am

Henry Vilas wrote:At one time "contempt for the community" was grounds for action.

Was that policy ever formally rescinded? If not, it would seem to be fairly simple to enforce. Unless someone has decided it is not in their interests to do so.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 am

Is it too hard?

You know what's harder, but ultimately more rewarding? Taking a minute to find a well-meaning post in the thread and responding specifically and thoughtfully to THAT instead of the other.

Do what Stebben does, thereby acting as badly as or worse than the tools you claim to despise, or pick up some of the responsibility yourself for how the community ought to function by modeling good behavior.

As I've said in another thread, traffic to this board is constant, regardless of what I do. As long as I'm here, you can't get kicked off for simply acting in a jerky way (I value the contributions of forons like Mean Scenester and Prof. Wagstaff, so if the banning stick needs to come out for those participating in jerk-like behavior, it's going to hit more than a few).

The idea that you always need to respond to the Heckerls to somehow keep this board's image up for passersby is ludicrous on its face. The image you're projecting is that you don't have enough self control to avoid getting sucked into every single bullshit exercise in Internet taunting.

I once told someone that I didn't appreciate how his only goal with Forum seemed to be coming here to try and make people look stupid. His response was that some people make it so easy.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 pm

So basically what you're saying is nobody gets banned, nothing gets stopped, and any traffic is good traffic.

Whatever the purpose of this forum used to be, it's current one is to give trolls a nice place to crap.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm

I don't think you get it, rabble. To use your crude terminology, the troll's goal isn't to "crap" on the board, it's to get your reaction. Lack of attention is the itch, the attention that you provide is the scratch.

There have been studies about social media where people are shown to experience a Dopamine release when someone interacts with them online. It's not from actually posting, it's from receiving a response, which is a real indication that somebody is paying attention to you. That's why people maniacally check their social media accounts all day.

I think what you're suggesting is that I kick off people that you don't like. And what would be the offense, exactly? And isn't that pretty easy for you to suggest, with your anonymous username? I am not anonymous here and am responsible for what happens on the board. To me, it's pretty simple what's happening. There are some hecklers out there who constantly have the needle out and there are others who simply can't resist responding to every single prick. The hecklers aren't really saying anything offensive and they're certainly not abusive.

Stebben said it himself: Resisting the urge to respond is hard.

So is running a website. You make it seem like it's easy, which indicates to me that you don't really have much experience doing it.

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm

My $0.02

I see this place as more of a clique than a community most of the time. If you aren't part of the "in crowd", you get shit on. I tend to withdraw from the discussion when that starts happening. It just isn't worth it to me to get sucked too deeply into that sort of thing. Some people can't or won't do that and wind up in a fight. Certain people seem to always be fighting with other certain people. A lot of times those fights seem to be because the people involved can't stand each other and will fight over anything and everything. I also see a bit of scapegoating. People outside the "in crowd" who fight back "too hard" get the blame, even if they are just standing up for themselves. I suppose those people will all eventually get banned.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying that those are the ONLY people that get banned.

A lot of times it also seems that the definition of "troll" is anyone who disagrees with the majority.

I'm not going to mention names because that will just lead to a fight, but there are certain people here that I try really hard not to talk to at all. As a result, there are a LOT of discussions that I just stay out of. I have a friend who calls that "letting the heckler's veto have a chilling effect on thoughts and ideas". I agree with him, but it isn't worth it to me most of the time to fight it. At least not on a discussion forum. Real life is a different matter. There are different consequenses there.

Sometimes I wonder how many other people read forums without posting very often, or without posting at all. Then there's Facebook. That's a whole different kind of drama.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00 pm

A lot of times it also seems that the definition of "troll" is anyone who disagrees with the majority.

I gotta say this is completely off-base. If you can't see the difference between a civilized conservative point of view and the shit-flinging trolls we've got bigger problems than complete absence of moderation.

People outside the "in crowd" who fight back "too hard" get the blame, even if they are just standing up for themselves. I suppose those people will all eventually get banned.

Nobody here gets banned especially not for their point of view. The victim card doesn't work when there are no victims.

There are too many people here to shut down the shit with silence. Someone is going to respond to the shit-throwers. Meade has proven he doesn't need any validation in the form of response to keep tossing his feces. This place continues to go to shit until the moderators take action. Clearly joyce would rather play on Facebook. Traffic is traffic I guess.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”