TDPF complaint department

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2397
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby mrak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04 am

supaunknown wrote:Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I lurk.
The sweaty vibe around here stinks.

Same here, except I'm not all that sorry. Especially after reading Jason's original post.

jjoyce wrote:We're aware of what you're talking about, but ... I'm not really motivated to do anything about ... repetitive, hackneyed, eye-roll-inducing and unoriginal content ... We're busy on other projects ... the same level of traffic regardless of the commitment to moderating it. ... I think Forum had a great run...


I mean, if the owners/operators of this forum can't bring themselves to give a damn about it, why should I?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9888
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 am

Wait... what's the goal here? To actually improve the quality of posts, or just stop the complaints? 'Cuz if it's the latter, I suggest just publishing the names and addresses of complainers. That'll learn'em.

scratch wrote:D-man is sincere and... The only subject where his postings approach troll-level for me are the ones about gun rights
I've tried to have a reasonable conversation with D-Man about guns and found it to be impossible. But is it really any more impossible than having that discussion with Henry Vilas? I think they are equally likely to ignore evidence, refuse to answer simple and direct questions, make strawman arguments, or revert to personal insults (and then turn around and accuse their opponents of doing all those things, natch.)

scratch wrote:Meade views this forum as the place to make his name as an insightful and incisive voice of contrarian reason
Whereas the gun thread brings out the bullheadedness of sincere posters who honestly want to contribute to TDP, Meade just seems intent on actively destroying this place. Nothing demonstrates this more than the Intrade thread, where even after pleas from the community to just stop already (both on and off the main thread), Meade persisted. For weeks. It takes a special kind of derangement to pursue an unfunny (supposed) joke to such extremes.

Anyway, here's my proposal for how to deal with trolls:
Kick anyone who posts demonstrably false information multiple times after they've been corrected. So, you can post anything you want a first time, but once someone proves you wrong, you may never post it again. If you knowingly perpetuate a lie, you lose your posting privileges. I don't know why our culture is so tolerant of lies in general, but there's no reason why we have to tolerate them here.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8846
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: I don't know why our culture is so tolerant of lies in general, but there's no reason why we have to tolerate them here.

The Supreme Court just struck down the Stolen Valor Act which made it a crime to lie about whether you had a military medal, because the lie is protected under free speech.

When I wrote to Kohl asking why we didn't have a law in place like Canada's making it a crime for a news agency to lie, he replied with the same free speech argument.

So that's why we tolerate it. I would go so far as to say we encourage it. It's free speech. What could be more American?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 22680
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:07 am

The Free Speech clause of the First Amendment applies only to government restrictions.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Meade » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Nothing demonstrates this more than the Intrade thread, where even after pleas from the community to just stop already (both on and off the main thread), Meade persisted. For weeks. It takes a special kind of derangement to pursue an unfunny (supposed) joke to such extremes.

You could not be more mistaken, Dr. Wagstaff. Hundreds of years from now, scholars and historians will be citing that thread as valuable primary source material in their analyses of early 21st century socio-political-economic dialectics.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8846
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The Free Speech clause of the First Amendment applies only to government restrictions.

Take it up with Kohl's staff. For some reason he didn't seem interested in debating it with me.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4623
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:50 am

jjoyce wrote:Lately, those most interested in posting here actively despise the board and others on it.

The general attitude feels more cavalier to me than "actively despise."

It's a sad truth: people who don't give a shit about something can easily ruin it for people who do.

I hate that.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 22680
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:29 am

rabble wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The Free Speech clause of the First Amendment applies only to government restrictions.

Take it up with Kohl's staff. For some reason he didn't seem interested in debating it with me.

Wasn't that Kohl's point about no laws that prevent newspapers from lying? (Laws being government restrictions, not only on Free Speech but also Freedom of the Press.)

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6974
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:31 am

I view this forum as a nice comfortable bar. I skim over the trolls stuff because I don't think much of them. Someone did start a nice little thread about starting a LLC and a troll mucked it up by crying corporate capitalism. Too bad. I do spend less time on the threads that have been mucked up. I don't have anyone on ignore. I just skim over them quickly and move on. I'd surely miss this bar if it got closed down. The bartender tho, could be a little more careful of over-serving drunks.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8846
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:38 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
rabble wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The Free Speech clause of the First Amendment applies only to government restrictions.

Take it up with Kohl's staff. For some reason he didn't seem interested in debating it with me.

Wasn't that Kohl's point about no laws that prevent newspapers from lying? (Laws being government restrictions, not only on Free Speech but also Freedom of the Press.)

I imagine it was the point of that medals thing too. Lying is free speech unless you're not from the government or you swear on a bible. Or something.

Anyway, it's American and we tolerate it well.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5711
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby gargantua » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 am

Yup, the Forum has sprouted some weeds. And, we know what happens when no one bothers to weed the garden....the weeds take over.

I don't have anyone on ignore. As another poster said, I just skim over their offerings and usually am successful in not rewarding them with my attention.

Since Jason is, in effect, burned out on being moderator, I would suggest Isthmus seriously consider an earlier suggestion someone made about having a few volunteers take on that role. Give them some guidelines and see how it works.

Beats the hell out of neglect.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3997
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby jman111 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 am

I've always found it odd that Joyce's posts were a mixed bag of personal contributions and moderator statements. Wouldn't it make sense to clarify when posts are from "Jason" personally and when they are moderator or admin posts?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7982
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 am

Wouldn't it make sense to clarify when posts are from "Jason" personally and when they are moderator or admin posts?


There hasn't been much at all of the latter. As Joyce stated he has better things to do than to perform his tasks as Moderator. He's on Facebook instead.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3997
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby jman111 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Agreed, the absence has been noticeable.
But, seriously, why not specify actual "admin" posts? Even if we know they are from him, shouldn't they be differentiated from his personal posts?

massimo
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1944
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Madison

Re: TDPF complaint department

Postby massimo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 pm

The message, I think, is pretty clear. We're chumps for being here, but we're here, so Isthmus may as well collect whatever ad revenue we manage to bring in. Page views haven't gone down with reduced moderator investment, so why bother?

I used to have TDPF listed as an exception in my ad blocker...


Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests