Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, 'kay?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, '

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 am

This thread is high comedy. Taking down anonymous forums is job one!

Next up, no talking loud in public without first identifying yourself.

GOD

Postby GOD » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 am

NO MAN, WOMAN, CHILD OR BEAST SHALL KNOW MY REAL NAME, AS IT'S GLORY IS ENOUGH TO DISTORT REALITY ITSELF.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:35 am

Whole thread needs to be preserved for posterity. I still can't figure out why people hate this place so much and keep coming back, but what do I know.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 am

Psst, God-- extra apostrophe. *cowering*

GOD

Postby GOD » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 am

ilikebeans wrote:Psst, God-- extra apostrophe. *cowering*

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 pm

So, its not just me . . . as of Saturday afternoon, it is also the following people that I know about:

Pam Porter
Carol Weidel
Joanne Brown
Thomas J. Mertz
Nick Berigan
Diane Michalski Turner
Barbara Vedder
Tobi Silgman
Ledell Zellers
Laura Dixson-Kruijf
Keith Wessel
Lynn Lee
Marj Passman
Gregory Humphrey
Larry Jensen
Leila Pine
Norm Littlejohn
Seth Nowak
Jeff Simpson
Sue Pastor
Wendy Cooper
Eric Sundquist
Robert Godfrey
Bob Klebba
Steve Steinhoff
Pat DiBiase
Kari Ehrhardt
Donna Magdalina
Chele Isaac
Patricia Randolph
Laura Riggs
Mister Blues
Alex Saloutos
David Waugh
Sue Breckenridge
Tim Birkley
Michelle Dobbratz
Floyd A. Hummel
Mondest C. Richards
Patrick Barrett
Ken Opin
Paul Zumhagen-Krause
John Steines
Graciela Laguna
Carol J Carstensen
Cordelia Gallo
Michelle
Patrick McDonnell
Elizabeth Gokey
Daniel C Roberts
Barb Olson
Sheila Spear
Stan Woodard
Heidi M. Wegleitner
John McNamara
Julie Spears
Charles James Mitchell
Adam Chern
Kristin Burki
Rocio Peralta
Melissa Sargent
Rick Fairchild
David Sparer
Chris Lang
Megan Christiansen
Lynn Olson
Mary Spranger
Jonathan Cooper
Greta Hansen
Jan Sternbach
Linda Keys
Jacque Pokorney
Elizabeth Tucci
Juscha Robinson
Michael Olneck
Kevin Luecke
Anders Zanichkowsky
Kenneth Craig
Dace A. Zeps
David Blaska
Math Heinzel
Connie Palmer Smalley
Anthony C. Delyea
Rebecca Cnare
Sarah Gillmore
Tom Powell

To the person who asked why I don't start my own forum - well, I don't really want or need one. My concern is that people are reluctant to run for office or get involved because they get attacked here on this forum (which really has become irrelevant, but not to the people being attacked, it still hurts them) and on madison.com.

I do agree, madison.com is more concerning in that they ask people to be in their stories and set them up to be harassed and ridiculed. The commenting policy here on the articles is much, much better than madison.com. But that doesn't stop a discussion on the forum, which ends up being the same thing.

Anyways, flame on!

And if you want to see what I said, not what others have interpreted about what I said, here's the links.

http://www.forwardlookout.com/2012/02/w ... licy/14358

http://www.forwardlookout.com/2012/02/i ... upid/14407

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Admittedly, most of those people think our policy and madison.com's are interchangeable, based on Brenda's less-than-illuminating report and the text accompanying the petition, quoted at the top of this thread.

She won't tell whether she simply doesn't know the differences between policies or if she doesn't care.

But the fact that she includes Tom Powell's name above absolutely makes my week.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/3528361/detail.html

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm

So, its not just me . . . as of Saturday afternoon, it is also the following people that I know about:

Ya, and how many of those people have actually gotten attacked on this forum. From most of what I see forons attack forons for the most part. I barely see your name mentioned anywhere on here lately as well.

I know a lot of names on that list and some of them don't even live in Madison. This is a ridiculously pointless exercise. I'd also like to know how many forums out there require your real name to be published. You know what, not many cause they're forums. Comparing TDPF to Madison.com's commenting is so far off the mark it's laughable.

To the whole whopping 88 people who've signed the position I say that if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. If people can't take criticism, as childish as it sometimes may be, don't put yourself in the public spotlight. The reason a lot of people become successful in public life is because they can turn the other cheek. That's what separates them from the rest.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:01 pm

Wow Jason, you are just an awful human being. It's like its a sport for you to hurt people - its like you get some sort of high out of it or something.

For the record - here is what this is about, from facebook.

BK: Jason, please quote me the exact words that are inaccurate.

JJ: ‎"I think that people should be required to use a real name or email address." So do I, which is why everyone who comments on articles at TDP must use his or her real name and everyone who posts on Forum must use a real email address. On the petition: "Please change your commenting policies to require real names to be used to comment." That's exactly what our commenting policy is. But you have painted with a broad brush here. I know that serves your purpose and fits with your general anti-media narrative, but it shows how little interest you have in actually shining light on the subject or being fair. I'm happy to represent my position in a discussion, but it's clear a discussion is not your goal.

BK: Actually, I meant that they should use their real names or emails publicly when they comment so they are not anonymous to the reader - I think most people understand that is what I meant. Using a real email or name that only you can see is still anonymous to the rest of us. And, apparently, even YOU don't know who some of these people are . . . so they are still anonymous to you.

JJ: Everyone who comments on a story on our website, which is what you're talking about when you use the term "comments," has to use his or her real name, otherwise we remove the comment and delete the account. The same is not true at the dailies. It's an important and deliberate distinction and by ignoring it or deliberately leaving it out, your blog is misleading, inaccurate and unfair.

BK: Is the forum not on your website? I was talking about your website. And your website has "comments" on the forum, right? Your focus on the semantics and ignoring the initial point is really getting irritating. I'll concede there are two policies and I should have been clearer. Now why don't you just say you like the nasty shit that gets posted on the forum and get it over with. You like attacking people there - and you like that people do it anonymously (to the person being attacked). You think that people who are public figures deserve to get attacked by anonymous posters. And you don't care that it prevents people from getting involved in their community or running for office - cuz they should just be tough enough to take it. Right? You're trying to paint me as a whiner and think this is about me. That's the real issue here Jason. Are you willing to talk about that?

Are you proud of the role you played in the link above? Do you enjoy ruubbing it in people's noses?

I'm so sad for the Isthmus. And the forum has great potential to be a great place for public dialog. It just sucks that its irrelevant and meaningless to so many. I really wish it were different.

p.s. I got dragged into this conversation, but in 2011, I posted 13 times. This was the first time I posted this year. I gave up on the forum because it is so absurd. It has so much potential tho.
Last edited by Brenda Konkel on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:12 pm

I like that Mister Blues is signed up on this petition.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:I'm so sad for the Isthmus. And the forum has great potential to be a great place for public dialog. It just sucks that its irrelevant and meaningless to so many. I really wish it were different.

p.s. I got dragged into this conversation, but in 2011, I posted 13 times. This was the first time I posted this year. I gave up on the forum because it is so absurd. It has so much potential tho.

Did you give up because you were being criticized? That's the way it sounds to me. I'm sorry, but this rant of yours just comes across as whiny and nothing else. That is called a criticism and not a flame.

Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Criticize my ideas all you want, I welcome it. And sometimes I even change my mind. Erik Paulson made a great observation about this issue and has me thinking about it. However, calling me names, using abusive language, not cool. I can take it - this is nothing compared to a few years ago. But I will repeat again, this is about others not wanting to get involved. And, YES! many people on that list have been attacked or their friends and family have been, that is why they signed. You may not recognize the names, but several mentioned it in their comments - several others didn't.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:To the person who asked why I don't start my own forum - well, I don't really want or need one. My concern is that people are reluctant to run for office or get involved because they get attacked here on this forum (which really has become irrelevant, but not to the people being attacked, it still hurts them) and on madison.com.

The thing is, the reason you don't see forums that require names is because those forums die fast. Snoqueen's story is pretty much the reason; people don't have to identify themselves to stalk other people who do. Not to mention the other repercussions for people who speak their mind where people who can hurt them can read it.

Unless you can guarantee the safety of everyone on the forum, all the time, the only responses you'll get are from people who are already so public that stalking and/or retaliation will be a newsworthy item.

For a forum to get honest responses from people who don't live in the public eye, you need anonymity and you have to deal with the bickering that comes with it. And it can be dealt with.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote: And, YES! many people on that list have been attacked or their friends and family have been, that is why they signed.

On the forum? I read it quite a bit and I just don't see it. Madison.com, yes. Their comments are a cesspool. On here I just don't buy it. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm

rrnate wrote:I like that Mister Blues is signed up on this petition.

That's not his real name.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”