TDPF rebirth

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TDPF rebirth

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:20 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
bdog wrote: Less worry about contradicting yourself on something you posted 5 or 10 years ago.

So I'm not allowed to decide that I don't really like Jack Johnson?

No problem...WAFFLER !!!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm satisfied with the way it is. If it bothers me, I've been looking too long and should be doing something else. I wonder what Sno and Henry think.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:36 pm

My dearly departed Irish mother gave me this name, I ain't giving it up.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Worst idea ever. Instead of just accusing newbies of being Sheppy all the time, we'd have every single foron who ever existed to choose from.

Oh, that icefairy MUST be snoqueen, I KNOW it!

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:08 pm

snoqueen wrote:
I'll play, but only if everyone is required to have the same name. That should cut down on a lot of the bickering.

Best idea yet.

We might actually reply to the content instead of just hating on some screen name. I've often wondered why comments sections don't dispense with names altogether, leaving them visible only to the administrator so abusers' accounts can be moderated or cancelled.

This (hide the poster's name) would be great to try for a day.

Admin, is it possible?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 pm

Francises need to lighten up. Desperate for a shake up? Why? Nothing's broke, just slower activity-wise. Unlike during TDPF's prolific pre-smartphone heyday, now there seems to be a higher percentage of dumbshits on here.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm satisfied with the way it is. If it bothers me, I've been looking too long and should be doing something else. I wonder what Sno and Henry think.

I pretty much agree. If it bothers me, I've been looking too long and should be doing something else.

Fortunately I have lots of other things to do. Sometimes I wonder if people who spend the whole day on here arguing might want to look at alternatives. Of course this is not my business, but you asked.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Traffic is up on Forum. December and January, which are typically slow, are better than October and November.

Forum wasn't supposed to last this long. I just got back from a conference of fellow alt-weekly dorks and they're all amazed that not only do we still have a message board, but that it still gets so much traffic.

The truth is that those who post a lot represent only about 25% (or less) of the people who have accounts. Far more show up occasionally and post even less frequently. There's also a nice group of people who get what their online personae are and carefully feed them.

With the amount of traffic we continue to get here, I'm reluctant to do much tinkering. We might untether it from the commenting system, but only because there are so many great tools that we can't use because of that. Although it is true that while the rest of the net wants to link all its online activity to Facebook or Google, TDP still favors the old school approach.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:28 pm

I agree with that. I like to know that Henry will be grumpy, Sno will be insightful, and Ned will be a troll.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:55 pm

jjoyce wrote:Traffic is up on Forum. December and January, which are typically slow, are better than October and November.
I expect that's related to the money pouring in to tamp down the revolution. Market research, as it were.

jjoyce wrote:Although it is true that while the rest of the net wants to link all its online activity to Facebook or Google, TDP still favors the old school approach.
It's sad that so may sites exclude those who refuse to be assimilated.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:05 pm

Hey guys, I was just thinking about how to make the daily page WAY MORE AWESOMER! 8) The biggest problem with the daily page is all the old people who feel the need to check facts whenever I post and while I'm pretty sure Jason :roll: won't ban all these "fact-nazi's" perhaps we could dilute them by getting a whole bunch of really cool new people 8) who never check any facts!

So how do we attract cool people who never check any facts? Easy... MORE ANIMATED MORONICONS! :lol: It would be like totally cool if I could end my post with a little smiley that flips you the bird. :P Or maybe a SCUD missile launcher that shoots a missile and you can actually make it shoot another post! :twisted: Whoa!

Anyway, thanks for getting started on this, Jason. This place will be hopping in no time!

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:38 pm

pjbogart wrote:It would be like totally cool if I could end my post with a little smiley that flips you the bird.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:59 pm

...while the rest of the net wants to link all its online activity to Facebook or Google, TDP still favors the old school approach.

And thanks for that.

I am trying to kill off my Google-tied accounts, which is nearly impossible. There's no option to close an account on many of their holdings, and while some seem to expire after 6 months or a year of dormancy others are immortal. I think their so-called marketing efforts are only one transaction away from very serious misuses of personal information. Maybe Google is using the info responsibly, but what if someone else buys (or more likely co-opts) Google, someone with purposes less benign?

Here's an extremely moderate take on the matter:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71951.html

Same with Facebook. What's paranoia today can look like reasonable skepticism somewhere down the line.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Image

That's a keeper.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm

REBOOT THE MATRIX

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”