Time to lock this thread

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TDPF: whites only

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Rabble, you're a fucking idiot.

Once = repeated? Fail.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:30 pm

bdog wrote:Rabble, you're a fucking idiot.

Once = repeated? Fail.

It's not a big difference, you fucking idiot. Great way to avoid the other question, though.

So, why did you ask those questions, if you didn't believe they were possible? Huh?

I'm gonna bump that every now and then till you give it another round of your tap dancing.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:17 pm

bdog wrote:She's got a younger brain Sno - that's a big advantage.

Not to be taken personally, bdog, but wouldn't this be ageism?
I'm not saying snoqueen is old, but judging someone on their years is still commenting on something they can't control or change. Would you have felt differently if I was 70? Like I said, there are a lot of people smarter than I am that lack common sense and perspective, I bet there are also some people who are younger or less educated who could school me in a couple of things! I'd be happy to listen to them, to get their perspective. Again, not to be taken personally.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:08 pm

c2cg, Sno reminds me of my Grandma in her later years, who was often "befuddled" by what people said and had the same habit of exclaiming "Good Lord". She lost a lot of tolerance for things she didn't agree with too.

Just an observation.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 pm

bdog wrote:c2cg, Sno reminds me of my Grandma in her later years, who was often "befuddled" by what people said and had the same habit of exclaiming "Good Lord". She lost a lot of tolerance for things she didn't agree with too.

Just an observation.

So why'd you ask those questions? Too senile to remember?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I had a friend over. As he was leaving I said, "Watch out for the black ice." He thought it odd that I would warn him about black guys, until he slipped on the driveway.

What's it gonna take to kill this thread?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 pm

bdog wrote:c2cg, Sno reminds me of my Grandma in her later years, who was often "befuddled" by what people said and had the same habit of exclaiming "Good Lord". She lost a lot of tolerance for things she didn't agree with too.

Just an observation.
Well, thanks for the admission. We've been wondering whether there might be some family history behind your seemingly paid-for commentary.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:43 pm

It's OK.

He forgot what he said and wasn't making any sense any more, and when I pointed it out with direct quotes, he got mad and threw insults. In fairness, it was a Sunday afternoon and he was probably writing behind a few beers, while I wasn't.

There are a lot of sharp people on this forum and you can't get away with stuff like that for long, and that's where we can leave it.

I'd like to get back to the topic, which concerned why the Republican party only got 1% of its votes from blacks in SC, and the ramifications of using so-called coded messages that appeal to certain white voters but repel the vast majority of blacks. The fact we had to discuss whether or not this even happened showed how determined defenders of the R's are to conceal it so it doesn't become a campaign issue in the general election, when presumably it could cost the R's heavily.

Maybe seeing attempts at denial and obfuscation right on the forum was message enough, and we can let this thing die. There are plenty more things to talk about.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:59 pm

One more try for bdog's sake, OK sno?

Remember my reference to the scarecrow? Detritus got what I was saying, because we both have a love of literature. Bdog and I both have a love of dogs. I'm relating to bdog although we are different in our political views but the same in our love of pets.

Breaking my own rules again (quoting wiki): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarecrow_(Oz)
See esp. "Scholarly Interpretations"

I hadn't even seen the farmer connection until I read it again.
And I'm not even sure why I chose the scarecrow, but it's a good one to relate to. I also have a nice quote on humility I can share.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:37 pm

city2countrygal wrote:One more try for bdog's sake, OK sno?

Remember my reference to the scarecrow? Detritus got what I was saying, because we both have a love of literature. Bdog and I both have a love of dogs. I'm relating to bdog although we are different in our political views but the same in our love of pets.

Breaking my own rules again (quoting wiki): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarecrow_(Oz)
See esp. "Scholarly Interpretations"

I hadn't even seen the farmer connection until I read it again.
And I'm not even sure why I chose the scarecrow, but it's a good one to relate to. I also have a nice quote on humility I can share.

All right, because you called on me personally I read the wiki link and I've followed this entire topic and the parallel one, and I just read it all over again now. You definitely lost me on the Oz metaphors and I'm still lost. I am not much of a poet. I tend to expect a degree of clarity and relevance in discussions and when things wander off into talk about movies and the like I start to skim or move on, not with disrespect.

I honestly have no idea what you mean with the references to farmers and the scarecrow character. We were never even talking about farmers. And quite frankly, I don't try to find out anything about the outside lives of people who post here. You are what you write, and beyond that if you live in a hut and eat broken glass it doesn't matter to me. I kind of take everyone as equal, and try to follow their comments in a more or less linear manner and offer my comments likewise.

I know other people read in a different way and that's perfectly fine. Apparently you're getting through to each other, however it works for you.

Incidentally you will not find anybody who likes dogs (or animals in general) more than I do, but what's that got to do with it? A person can like animals and still make no sense, or even hold indefensible beliefs. The one doesn't excuse the other.

Maybe there should be a whole separate topic for people who want to delve into this aspect of their lives in more detail.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:14 am

Actually, snoqueen, I meant for bdog to read the scarecrow quote.
I was only mentioning your name because you were the last to respond, and it seemed like the topic should end, but I wanted to try to get through to bdog one more time. The reference to the scarecrow wasn't directed at you at all. But I think we can all learn from the character.

I'm the scarecrow. Connection to the farmer = countrygal.

The scarecrow always had a brain, he just didn't know it because he did not have the self-confidence to use it. Part of that confidence comes from being able to look at oneself critically. [Hint to bdog to accept that his comment to you was an ageist one.]

It takes a confident, strong person to be able to see the faults in themselves. I've been working on a lot of my own personal faults over the last year: being defensive, being too critical of myself and others, overcoming perfectionism and my fears, showing weakness and being able to ask for help, being more humble, any many more I can't think of right now. I have a list. And I'm always working on it. It's a process for me. If anyone on the forum can learn from that or what I've gone through, all the better! And if I can learn from you all, I'd like to. So you can trust that I'm not being sarcastic unless I'm playing with words (like the "The narcissism of small differences" thread) or something else intangible that doesn't have feelings that can get hurt. Not that words can't hurt; they can.

I visited the forum often before I joined. Not neurotically, but I knew I respected a lot of people here, and you know who you are by what I say. Like I know Henry Vilas likes Vancouver, like I do. That's why I eventually joined and got my voice out there (or here, if you will). There's a lot of people here I connect to for common ideas (that's easy), but now that I'm less defensive of my own views, I find I'm learning more too by relating better to people who are different than me. Part of that can relate back to the scarecrow as well.

And I also asked you in my previous post because it seems like you really are the queen of this forum. And I mean that as a compliment.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:40 am

Two more of my faults I'm working on and then maybe this thread can come full circle (at least in my eyes):

(1) Try to see shades of gray, no more black-and-white thinking.
It's part of escaping my perfectionism.

(2) Try seeing things from multiple angles to avoid misperceptions, also part of not being defensive.

The "princess" I was referring to earlier was not related to you.
It wasn't directed to you, and I only realized the possiblity of miscomminication much later. Perception again is a key for me,
a way to think from different angles.

You didn't understand how the scarecrow could relate to you at first, right? Now imagine a newbie coming into TDPF and not knowing all the old schooler's jargon, like "Sheppy" for example. If I was not aware of a person named Shep, or whoever he or she was, I can't possibly understand your joke. That's one of the reasons I find TDPF hard to relate to at times, not because it does't deal with real life.
It does.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:52 am

Fair enough c2cg, it was an ageist comment.

That's the funny thing about this forum though - I'll do something stupid like that and everyone (besides you) is arguing over some other relatively innocuous comment I made so they don't even notice.

So thanks for noticing.

There would be a lot less arguing here and more discussion if people opened up like you just did. You're a real person as opposed to a screen name. Most of the time you can predict exactly what a person is going to say. You are an exception. I would include Detritus and pjbogart in that category as well. If my memory is correct Peej was the one who posted on his experiences at Maple Bluff CC, probably before you joined.

It's good to work on things, especially recognizing your weaknesses. Right now mine is my blood pressure. Besides the usual diet and exercise changes I also need to work on stress reduction so I'm going to post here much less often.

Did I just hear a cheer go up? Well good, if I can reduce other people's stress in the meantime then it's win/win all around.

A final note from me on the original intent of this thread - Derrell Connor did respond to my invitation:

I check out the Daily page every now and then. I'll try to keep up with the forums and post something from time to time.

Thanks again for the invitation. See you in the forums.

Derrell

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:45 am

bdog wrote:oh c'mon Sno - you're full of shit!
You're pissed because you can't box me into a corner.

So, bdog, self-aggrandizement or tenuous handle on self-perception? Or both?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 am

In the interview link I posted a day or two with Tim Cullen, who dropped out of the governor's race, he said he'd been in an encounter with a hater. The hater was getting so angry and red-faced Cullen thought he might have a stroke. Cullen terminated the encounter because he said he'd have felt so terrible if this happened.

He came across as a really fair-minded and decent person who was willing to put someone's individual welfare above the conflict of ideas, principles, and even manners. Maybe we could all take it to heart. It's harder on line where you can't tell if someone is getting angry or just laughing his head off.

I always take words as words and don't impute a lot of emotion to the person writing them (because I don't get all emotional when I write either, unless I find something funny). This may not be a good thing overall, though on the other hand not getting all riled up by someone like Newt Gingrich tends to rob him of his power.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”