cussin'

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

The amount of cursing on TDPF is...

Too much
17%
About right
52%
Not enough
30%

Total votes: 23

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: cussin'

Postby kurt_w » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Marvell wrote:
kurt_w wrote:I'm attempting to intellectually stunt my daughter by not teaching her enough four-letter words?

By trying to blinker her from reality? Pretty much.

Reality's still going to be out there. I would think as a parent you'd be more interested in making sure she's got the ethical base and judgment to engage with reality in all its...you know...reality than expending the energy in a vain and counterproductive attempt to make her think the whole world is some kind of big fucking Knott's Berry Farm.

But what the hell do I know? I don't have any kids, so maybe I'm totally off base.

I do know this, however; the sanitized bourgeois values being trumpeted as somehow superior to mine have resulted in world that's totally okay with rampant wealth inequality, mind boggling insensitivity to the suffering of the poor, and almost universal denial of looming economic and environmental collapse.

To me, that's obscene. Not the fucking word 'fucking.'

Wow, it's worse than I thought. By failing to teach my daughter to talk like Chuck Schick, not only am I intellectually stunting her, I'm also contributing to wealth inequality, the suffering of the poor, and environmental collapse.

I guess it could be worse. At least I haven't unleashed a new smallpox epidemic or anything like that yet. Clearly, though, Ms Kurt and I need to rethink how we interact around the dinner table:

Kurt: Pass the motherfucking salt, somebody.

Ms Kurt: Sarah, you bitch, pass the goddamned sodium fucking chloride to your goat-blowing fat-assed father.

Sarah: Here's your cocksucking table salt, Daddy. Want the shit-eating pepper grinder with that, ass-face?

TV news announcer (in background): In further news this evening, scientists announced that the rising tide of intra-familial rhetorical obscenity continues to mitigate the risks of global warming and ocean acidification. The newest crop of vulgarities is also being given credit for the recent solution to the Israel/Arab conflict, for the abolition of poverty, and for the stunning announcement that chocolate may cure cancer. Authorities hope that by training enough young people to swear proficiently and profusely, we may actually be able to roll back the universal increase in entropy and postpone the heat death of the universe.
Odd. Personally, I fail to see the connection between heavy reliance on four-letter words and social progress, but YMMV.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Perhaps this is something more properly picked up on the street than at home.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:28 am

Although I personally found kurt_w’s hypothetical dinner table convo hilarious, I don’t find the black-and-white logic helpful, and I am trying to avoid it in my own life. Heavy reliance on black-and-white thinking and out-of-context sound bytes are used by conservatives and the GOP to get their message out and brainwash those who can’t or don’t think for themselves. I think there is a gray area between Knott’s Berry Farm and kurt_w’s dinner scenario, no?

And when did this thread spin into one about how bad of potty mouths we should raise the next generation to become? I thought it was about how much is on this forum. I personally don’t care; live and let live as long are you aren’t hurting someone else (IMHO).
My mom hated it (more than actual swearing) when I said something “sucked,” and now I still let her know when I think things "suck."

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:17 am

Kurt, I'll be over for dinner tomorrow.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:09 am

Remember how in The Christmas Story the dad was a master of cussing? I like that line about how "a string of them are still frozen above Lake Michigan"!

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:49 am

Kurt's story reminded me of "The Bad News Bears". There was nothing funnier than seeing all those little kids swear.

And Kelly Leak was some badass.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:43 am

Guess I kind of undercut my own point by making that little skit so amusing (and harmless).

There is a halfway serious point here, though. I'm not actually trying to stop Marvell or anyone else here from larding their posts with as many obscenities as they wish. If that's your voice, then use it.

But the other side of that is that it'd be nice if people could drop the idea that not cussin' is somehow suspicious behavior, perhaps indicative of latent Republicanism. It's true that Ms Kurt and I have tried to set an example at home of talking politely, dressing modestly, and acting respectfully (but affectionately). I'm sure our daughter has figured out, between schoolyard, sports, and whatnot, that not everyone talks, dresses, and acts that way. But she's also learned that different people have different values, that its OK to be friends with people whose families aren't exactly like your own, and that it's important to learn to modulate your behavior in different environments.

Which brings us to this comment, in which it was suggested that raising my daughter in an obscenity-free household was:

* intellectually stunting;
* blinkered from reality;
* harmful to one's ethical base and judgment;
* contributing to a "world that's totally okay with rampant wealth inequality, mind boggling insensitivity to the suffering of the poor, and almost universal denial of looming economic and environmental collapse"; and worst of all,
* reminiscent of Knott's Berry Farm (whatever that is).

That's ridiculous. There are not just two kinds of people in the world (edgy urban youthful rebellious Madison leftists, and whitebread suburban middle-aged Knotts Berry Farm lovin' conservatives).

If Marvell insists on getting all stereotypey about this, I'm coming from a strain of what you might call "picket-fence progressivism". These are people who might look conservative to your eyes, but are leftists 'til the day they die; people who will be going door-to-door before the next election, helping cook dinners at Luke House, and holding the other end of that banner in the anti-Walker protest at the Square. My aunt is a typical older-generation upper middle class New England WASP -- who's probably spent more time in jail than almost any of the forons, thanks to taking up radical anti-war civil disobedience as a hobby in her retirement. (How many forons have actually spent even one night in jail, for whatever reason?)

So, no, I don't mind if you're cussin' on the forum, as long as you're willing to let me not cuss (... mostly ...) without being consigned to some kind of Knotts Berry Farm gulag. Live and let live.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:51 am

Ex-(nothin')-zackly.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:09 pm

I always ask myself, "What would Tin Tebow do?"

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Huckleby wrote:I always ask myself, "What would Tin Tebow do?"

Ask God for a fuckin' heart?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:07 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Kurt, I'll be over for dinner tomorrow.

You can sit across from Sarah.

Just don't ask her to pass the motherfucking salt.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:21 pm

kurt_w wrote:Just don't ask her to pass the motherfucking salt.

Mercy! I don't even know her.

I was going to reserve requests for her goat-blowing, fat-assed father.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 am

If someone named ilikebeans is coming for dinner, I guess we'd better stock up on ... beans.

I'm glad you're not named ilikelutefisk.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:46 am

kurt_w wrote:If someone named ilikebeans is coming for dinner, I guess we'd better stock up on ... beans.

And air freshener.

Sorry, I meant to say, "God damn motherfuckin' air freshener!"

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 am

kurt_w wrote:I'm glad you're not named ilikelutefisk.

Used to have it every Christmas, which, coincidentally, it's approaching.

So yeah, make with the nun-raping lye-infused cod already, bitch.

... and god damn motherfuckin' air freshener.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”