cussin'

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

The amount of cursing on TDPF is...

Too much
17%
About right
52%
Not enough
30%

Total votes: 23

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: cussin'

Postby Shorty » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Obscene language should be banned here.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Huckleby wrote:ahh, the f word is too played. The c word still has some juice.

Come on, use the real words. Say it, fuck and cunt. In my opinion cunt is the new fuck. It's a harsh word to say and many cringe at it. Fuck can be used effectively but not too much. The beauty is that it has so many different uses. Don't fear the reaper.

When the production code came in, Mae West (who wrote some of her own scripts) became much funnier. Sometimes it is more effective to speak indirectly. You see, daintily saying "c word" is more interesting than tired edginess of "cunt."

Are you pying attention, son?

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:45 am

Marvell wrote:
Comrade wrote:It does show a lower caliber of individual and a lack of depth of thought.

Like fucking hell it does, you pathetic milquetoast.

I'll take the 'individual caliber' and 'depth of thought' of Richard Pryor, Henry Miller and Hunter S. Thompson (to just point out the obvious examples) over yours, Comrade, any day of the week.

And depriving your kids of the chance to learn the art of the well-deployed 'fuck' is to cheapen their cultural heritage and rob them of one of the true joys of life. Your wife should tell your prim, prissy ass to just fuck off already.

While your attempt to drag me down into the sewer with you is amusing, it isn't tempting. Not going down there, but I do appreciate that you made my case for me and no further elaboration is necessary.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:05 am

Shorty wrote:Obscene language should be banned here.

Fuck that shit...

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:06 am

kurt_w wrote:
scratch wrote:Thanks for the B52 reference, though. Loved the band, and, in my youth, was a big fan of Francis Gary Powers and the B-52 planes.

Francis Gary Powers was with a different band -- U2, not the B-52s.

Damn, you're right.

I hated when they replaced him with Sonny Bono.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14 am

scratch wrote:Damn, you're right.

I hated when they replaced him with Sonny Bono.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I vaguely remember hearing about it, but it must have gone in one Cher and out the other.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:09 am

Stebben84 wrote:In my opinion cunt is the new fuck.

I don't think so. Fuck was never that shocking, and has always had benign applications. Cunt always sounds mean.

But since we're on the topic, the award for Best Use Of Both In A Sentence goes to Ralph Fiennes in In Bruges:

You fucking retract that bit about my cunt fucking kids!

Runner up, Brendan Gleeson in response:

I retract that bit about your cunt fucking kids.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:14 am

Ralph Fiennes in In Bruges:

That movie was fan-fucking-tastic.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:30 am

Huckleby wrote:When the production code came in, Mae West (who wrote some of her own scripts) became much funnier.

In what alternative universe?

Although the Hays Code was passed in 1930, it wasn't actually enforced until 1934, by which time most of Mae's greatest films were already behind her (Mae, of course, would have a double entendre to employ here, but I got nothin'.)

Anyone who thinks Go West Young Man or My Little Chickadee are funnier than She Done Him Wrong or I'm No Angel is no appreciator of Mae's full charms, if you ask me.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:19 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Anyone who thinks Go West Young Man or My Little Chickadee are funnier than She Done Him Wrong or I'm No Angel is no appreciator of Mae's full charms, if you ask me.

I was thinking of those two with Cary Grant, which are the ones she scripted in 1932. They are high-larious.

I caution you, my source on this is Robert Fucking Osborne, the TCM guru, you quibbling cunt.

I think "She Done Him Wrong" might have started as a stage play, and had to be tamed-down for movie. RFO said it was because of production code, but maybe I somehow misunderstood.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 am

Really? It's "quibbling" to suggest that no, contrary to your assertion, Mae West was not funnier after being forced to tone down her act?

And if Robert Fucking Osborne thinks She Done Him Wrong ain't precode, he's the cunt, not I.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:42 am

Nah, I don't really think you are overly quibbling, I just needed an inflammatory adjective for proper effect.

Well, what I know for certain is that RFO said those two movies were made funnier by taming rewrites, and quoted Mae West in this regard. I'm pretty sure he mentioned production code, but now that you mention it, 1932 is considered "pre-code." Maybe I'll Check it out.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:54 am

Oh my, my, Herr Professor. It seems that RFO (and me) are correct. "She Done Him Wrong" comes from stage play by Mae West, and was drastically tamed for screen due to production code. Perhaps code was not widely enforced until '34, but the heat was on this racy play.

The grizzly details:
http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/89849/Sh ... notes.html

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:02 pm

One could argue that the Code, especially as illustrated by the Diamond Lil example, was more about obscenity / overt sexuality and veiled references thereto than swearing/cussing.

I don't know if cussing was prevalent in films before that to be banned anyway?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Huckleby wrote:The grizzly details:

Dammit, Huck, you're doing that just to piss me off.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”