Unanswered questions posed to David Blaska

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Unanswered questions posed to David Blaska

Postby scratch » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:23 am

David Blaska wrote:Cases of voter fraud are documented.

So cite the documentation.

Jason, I understand the Isthmus' desire to have a credible conservative voice blogging regularly, but this cheeseball can't even cite his sources when repeatedly asked to do so. Why does the Isthmus pay him? You could get similar unfounded rhetoric from Ned for free.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 am

scratch wrote:

So cite the documentation.

Jason, I understand the Isthmus' desire to have a credible conservative voice blogging regularly, but this cheeseball can't even cite his sources when repeatedly asked to do so. Why does the Isthmus pay him? You could get similar unfounded rhetoric from Ned for free.

(bold=mine)

I'll nominate that last bit for "best of"

-Dan

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 am

bdog wrote:
pjbogart wrote:P.S. You didn't look very hard.

Do me a favor and post a link to the the study. Henry's link is just that same statistic quoted...and a Colbert video.

Thanks.

Okay, how abut this: Google Brennan Center for Justice, then go to the Brennan Center for Justice website and type "fraud" in the searchbox.

I could post the link here but I'm annoyed with you for being lazy so I won't.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 am

Or try this. Cut and paste the paragraph below into your reply:

OK, I admit the evidence for voter fraud is so flimsy as to be inconsequential. The voter ID act is clearly overreaction and will cause undue hardship to legitimate voters throughout the state. It should be repealed immediately so we can have full voter participation, which is the best way to maintain voter confidence.

Just do it, man.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:21 am

Today's bump for Mr. Blaska:

Q1: What studies/statistics show that, for the other six states with strict photo voter ID laws, fraudulent voting at the ballot box decreased as a direct result of the law?

David Blaska wrote:Placing a mark on drivers licenses denoting felon is under consideration.

Q2: What is your source on this?
Q3: Assuming this plan passes, how would the law prevent felons from voting if they presented an ID other than their driver's license?

David Blaska wrote:As to the # of prosecutions: proving an intent and getting a conviction is a difficult and time-consuming proposition. Prevention is much more cost-effective.

Q4: Please cite numbers to show that prosecuting the current low numbers of fraudulent voters (11 charged in 2010) is more expensive to state taxpayers than the estimated $2.3 million/year this law will cost.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:44 am

Blaskagate page five: what didn't he know, and when didn't he know it?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Unanswered questions posed to disingenous moron

Postby Marvell » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 pm

As have cases of spontaneous combustion. Is that the GOP's next area of focus - protecting us from suddenly combining with oxygen?

It would make as much sense as far as a glaring policy need goes.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Bump addendum:

Q5: Mr. Blaska, what is your opinion of the campaigns by Americans for Prosperity and Wisconsin Family Action to send absentee ballots with false submission dates to solidly Democratic voting blocs?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:42 pm

David, what do you think of the plight of HIV-positive lesbian garmet workers in the Islamist-controlled provinces of Guinea-Bissau ?

This is a simple question. I'm not sure why you won't confront this issue head-on. I can't imagine why Isthmus would choose to keep you around if you can't take the time to answer me. :evil:

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Image

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:29 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Image

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 pm

rabble wrote:Google Brennan Center for Justice, then go to the Brennan Center for Justice website and type "fraud" in the searchbox.

Thanks rabble.

http://brennan.3cdn.net/c176576c0065a7eb84_gxm6ib0hl.pdf

It is far more common, however, to see unfounded allegations of epidemic voting from beyond the grave,
with a chuckle and a reference to Gov. Earl Long’s quip (“When I die — if I die — I want to be buried in
Louisiana, so I can stay active in politics.”) or Rep. Charlie Rangel’s update (same idea, but takes place in
Chicago).

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:49 pm

From the paper linked above:

Indeed, in Milwaukee, one voter asked to present identification at the polls showed his Department of Corrections ID card, with “OFFENDER” printed in bold letters across the face — but he was not informed by any poll worker that he might be ineligible to cast a ballot.60

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:12 pm

BP makes a good point and this is where I see a problem - are poll workers really going to do that good a job checking ids?

It's not like they're bouncers which are negatively affected if they don't do a good job of keeping underage drinkers out.

Add to that, a lot of our wonderful poll workers don't see so good anymore...I don't expect them to turn away many voters that present at least some sort of id.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 am

bdog wrote:I don't expect them to turn away many voters that present at least some sort of id.

And they shouldn't. Until someone can show that elections are potentially corrupted by droves of fraudulent voters, there is no reason to make it harder to vote. And strangely, Republicans only seem interested in the non-systemic voting irregularities (like giving a homeless guy a pack of cigarettes to go vote) while ignoring systemic problems which actually have the potential to flip an entire election.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”