Carol

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Carol

Postby kurt_w » Fri May 27, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm not sure that it's good for anybody for Isthmus to be continuing to provide Carol with a platform. Her normal discourse mode here is bad enough .... But then I happened to run across these comments (1, 2) which I somehow missed at the time, and where she seems to be celebrating the attempted assassination of Congresswoman Giffords and regretting that more people weren't killed.

I'd be interested to hear what the DPF admin position is on this kind of thing.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Carol

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Wow... that's pretty horrible. I hadn't seen those.

Carol is 86'd for that offense.

BTW: Anyone can "report" any post on the board by clicking the little exclamation point. Doesn't mean we'll remove it or take action, but it's a good idea on stuff like this. We don't see everything.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri May 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks ... I should have thought of using that exclamation-point thingy. I've used it on other boards to report spam, but somehow it didn't occur to me in this case.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 27, 2011 4:42 pm

I can see how it was missed. Who has time to read through all that crazy?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 27, 2011 5:28 pm

jjoyce wrote:Carol is 86'd for that offense.

Not to quibble, he said, preparing to do just that. But what is 86 besides a number between 85 and 87? Did you mean to say "deep-sixed" or is 86 a term I missed out on?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm

gargantua wrote:

Not to quibble, he said, preparing to do just that. But what is 86 besides a number between 85 and 87? Did you mean to say "deep-sixed" or is 86 a term I missed out on?

It's fairly well-known slang, with origins in diner/tavern lingo.

Here's a good summary from The Straight Dope.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 27, 2011 9:19 pm

mrak wrote:
gargantua wrote:

I fuckin' love this forum.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat May 28, 2011 2:33 am

Hijack!

How do we get The Straight Dope re-included in the print Isthmus? Serious question. It remains one of my most eagerly anticipated columns.

Yeah yeah, I know about the mailing list. There's something special about reading it in print. Should I be kicking kids off my lawn?

Is Dope syndication that expensive?

P.S. Thank the gods I don't have to scan any more charity confirmation letters.

Some Guy
Forum Addict

Postby Some Guy » Sat May 28, 2011 3:53 am

Yeah, I'd have to agree that her comments were "over the top", but other people have said things just as bad or worse without repercussions. 86ing her is just another example of the fabled Jason Joyce selective enforcement. Maybe if people didn't go out of their way to push her buttons she wouldn't act like that.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat May 28, 2011 8:22 am

Some Guy wrote:Yeah, I'd have to agree that her comments were "over the top", but other people have said things just as bad or worse without repercussions. 86ing her is just another example of the fabled Jason Joyce selective enforcement. Maybe if people didn't go out of their way to push her buttons she wouldn't act like that.

Name one. And that last line is pure "no one on my side is that crazy" horsecrap.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat May 28, 2011 10:36 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Name one.

Uncle Leaver has made threats that are far worse and much more violent. If he said something that Kurt disagreed with then perhaps some of his posts from several months ago would also get a spotlight shone on them.

And isn't it funny how the story changes? At first, Carol was "celebrating" the shootings. Now it is being said that she was "urging" more of them. Won't be long before people say that Carol personally pulled the trigger and that is why she had to be thrown out and barred from further discussion.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat May 28, 2011 11:42 am

We can be bought, but we can't be bored

- Lynn Fontanne

That about sums up why Leaver is still here and Carol is gone.

And yeah, I get divergent points of view but sometimes a bat shit crazy POV is just bat shit crazy.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat May 28, 2011 12:03 pm

mrak wrote:
gargantua wrote:

Thanks. Definitely fits the situation. In this case the "out of" being "her mind".

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 pm

If Carol was making threats she needs to be gone, no question. But I sometimes enjoyed reading her rants. She was bat shit crazy in the first degree, but there was something so pure about her. She was a true believer and never let anyone derail her. Her true belief was the medical establishment was a bought-and-paid-for mind control conspiracy.

There are times I can sort of see that. If you follow the storyline of the medical establishment, it regularly does 180s:

"All women should take hormones! Buy some! Oops, hormones are causing breast cancer! Everyone stop!"

"Everyone with chest pain needs a stent! Pay us lots of money and we'll put one in! Oops, those don't do a blame thing. Change your diet and get some exercise and you'll get the same outcomes."

(I just wrote half a dozen more and deleted them, thank god.)

It doesn't do to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but you can't blame some folks on the fringe from arriving at the conclusions Carol arrived at. A hardcore skeptic isn't a totally unnecessary voice in our society. Threats cross the line, but the forum would be less interesting without our Carols and Dangerousmans, sitting at their keyboards smoking their lungs out armed to the teeth.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sat May 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Some Guy wrote:Maybe if people didn't go out of their way to push her buttons she wouldn't act like that.

Every button on the keyboard is one of "her buttons." She would even quote herself and argue sometimes.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”