Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Keep it up Blaska. You're driving them wild. :lol:

And of course, that's the goal. To the neds out there, pissing off the other side is more important than discussion, or facts, or logic.

And even though this ned is a sock, he's the echo for a lot of idiots.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 am

Oh kids, kids.

Is "Blaska's Blog" any better or worse than "Emily's Post"? Really? Neither claim to be reporters. They are bloggers offering their takes on current events. Dear Emily is in ideological lock-step with most of you, so she gets a "pass", even when she's involved in a "play" about killing conservatives.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:46 am

Is "Blaska's Blog" any better or worse than "Emily's Post"? Really?

Yes Blaska's blog is worse. Emily doesn't lie every third word. There are objective facts in her blog. Blaska is sorely lacking in that department.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Is "Blaska's Blog" any better or worse than "Emily's Post"? Really?

Yes Blaska's blog is worse. Emily doesn't lie every third word. There are objective facts in her blog. Blaska is sorely lacking in that department.

Your opinion. At least he offers an alternative take to practically everything else that gets printed in Isthmus. The ultimate job of the paper/website is to bring eyeballs to said properties. Perhaps Blaska can bring the 25% of Madisonians who view themselves as "conservative" into the mix.

Is everything that Blaska prints 100% true? Who knows? I do know that if Emily or Leuders material was subject to the same level of parsing, it probably wouldn't stand up either.

Again, Blaska offers an alternative take on current events and drives the lock-step Madison left wild. It's a freakin' tow-fer. Keep it up Dave.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Is everything that Blaska prints 100% true? Who knows? I do know that if Emily or Leuders material was subject to the same level of parsing, it probably wouldn't stand up either.

See? There's the thing in a nutshell. It's a given, completely true statement that nobody anywhere gets their stuff inspected as closely as Blaska. (Or Rush, or Glen, or Althouse, and on and on.)

That's because there are no people in Madison who are conservative and want to find something false in any of those columns, you see. They just take it all at face value.

Probably because they're too busy crying about how those meanies are picking on Blaska.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:12 am

rabble wrote: too busy crying about how those meanies are picking on Blaska.

You're the crybabies. Hence this thread.

I think there's plenty of room for a variety of opinions, including those of yet another (yawn) leftist 20-something chick.
Last edited by Ned Flanders on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:20 am

I think there's plenty of room for a variety of opinions, including those of a (yawn) leftist 20-something chick.

But there's only room for one set of facts.

Your opinion.

Proving once again that you don't know the difference between fact and opinion.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:22 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Blaska offers an alternative take on current events and drives the lock-step Madison left wild. It's a freakin' tow-fer. Keep it up Dave.

Thanks Ned.
You realize as well as anyone the risk of being called a "troll" and other names for expressing a contrary opinion. Just as we learned first hand Saturday at the Sarah Palin event at the Capitol, the Left's first line of defense is to drown you out if they can, call you a liar (troll, sock puppet, etc.) if they can't.
I am a liar because I doubted very much that the East High school walk out was done without any teacher influence. It's a proposition that cannot be conclusively proven either way. But were doctors handing out fake medical excuses? Were teachers lying when they called in sick? I have an FOI request out for the number of teachers to be disciplined for lying in the Madison school district. Am told those numbers will be available early next month. That's proven lying.

Death threats, goon intimidation, illegally occupying the Capitol, boycotting charity events, derailing the legislative process, shouting down opponents. A hideous victimization of a child abuse victim for political purposes even tho the victim himself said please stop. And now the Recall Hanson office in Green Bay has been burglarized. Not a word of protest from the righteous anonymous.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:33 am

Not a word of protest from the righteous anonymous.

And not a word from Blaska when those things have been going on for a long time, in much greater volume from his beloved republicans. Hypocrite.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Dave, I'm not sure you understand the actual definition of troll or trolling. Here it is, according to Indiana University's IT Department:

In email discussion lists, online forums, and Usenet newsgroups, a troll is not a grumpy monster that lives beneath a bridge accosting passers-by, but rather a provocative posting intended to produce a large volume of frivolous responses. The term can also refer to someone making such a posting ("a troll") or to the action ("trolling", "to troll").

The article goes on to say "people post such messages to get attention, to disrupt discussion, and to make trouble." Using this definition, is the term even pejorative? I like to think of trolling like the term is used in fishing. When I was a kid, we used to troll for carp in the lake by my house, dragging big rusty treble hooks across the bottom hoping to snag something.

For example, when Ned posts something like this, as he did in March, what's his goal?

Personally, I'm waiting for the Sunday line-up:

Cross-Dressers for a Nuclear Free World and Breastfeeding Lesbians for the Emancipation of Tibet.

Bring cameras and popcorn!

You might think it's funny, you might defend it as satire or parody and you might hold it up alongside the stuff produced by John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. You might also classify it as mean, cheap and homophobic (note that I'm referring to the post as homophobic, not the poster). Depending on the context, both sides might be right.

But it's hard to deny that it's trolling when using the very fair definition of the term offered by Indiana University. Growing up, allowing oneself to be baited ("feeding the troll") was always a worse crime than doing the actual baiting, and I think that's been reflected on this message board. Most often, when someone is ID'd as a troll, it's to point out to the respondents that they've been sucked in and made to look foolish. Some, like fisticuffs, don't seem to possess the self control necessary to just ignore him and are constantly toyed with.

We've discussed Ned's contributions to the Forum for years now, as he owns one of the oldest accounts. The general sentiment is that he adds a certain "something" to the board and the majority don't have any problems with him. Unlike other trolls who are banned quickly because they can't resist being vulgar, offensive and vile, Ned often contributes to discussions without deliberately pissing people off.

David, I know you like to paint your fellow conservatives as victims, but pointing out that Ned can be a troll is simply stating the truth and many of us believe he not only knows this, but relishes the label.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 pm

rrnate wrote:Keep it up Ned! At least Blaska gets paid for it - you're just giving it away.

You sure about that?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Your opinion. At least he offers an alternative take to practically everything else that gets printed in Isthmus.

Bingo. As I said, the quality or lack thereof is irrelevant. All that matters is that somebody at Isthmus thinks they need a token conservative voice, and Blaska's posts can at least meet that (minimal) requirement.

It's affirmative action for conservatives.

I'm not thrilled about it, but that's the way the world works. Dan Quayle's admission to law school? Same deal.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:11 pm

kurt_w wrote:Bingo. As I said, the quality or lack thereof is irrelevant. All that matters is that somebody at Isthmus thinks they need a token conservative voice, and Blaska's posts can at least meet that (minimal) requirement.
Again, your opinion. I said at least, not at most. I find Blaska to be entertaining and informative, because he provides an alternate take, because he jabs at conventional wisdom and the status quo.

kurt_w wrote:I'm not thrilled about it, but that's the way the world works. Dan Quayle's admission to law school? Same deal.

Perhaps the same could be said about Barry's admission, but he won't release his school records now, will he?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
rabble wrote: too busy crying about how those meanies are picking on Blaska.

You're the crybabies. Hence this thread.

I think there's plenty of room for a variety of opinions, including those of yet another (yawn) leftist 20-something chick.

But apparently, nobody on the right feels like fact-checking anybody on the left. Wonder why that is.

"If we DID fact-check we'd find lots of stuff just like you guys do with Blaska but we just don't feel like it. And you can't make us. So there."

Going by the posts to this board, I think the reason is that he can't find the time. He's too busy with all those sock puppets.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I find Blaska to be entertaining and informative, because he provides an alternate take, because he jabs at conventional wisdom and the status quo.

"Prominent local conservative takes jabs at conventional wisdom and the status quo."

Eh. Doesn't quite have the elegant simplicity of War is peace, Freedom is slavery, or Ignorance is strength. Try again, please.

More seriously, think about what you're writing for once. You admit you don't like Blaska's columns because they're smart, insightful, accurate, etc. You like them because they're "an alternate take". That was exactly my point. Blaska's columns aren't particularly smart, insightful, or accurate. Their only virtue is that they are conservative.

So Blaska is able to skate by without having to live up to any expectations beyond "be our token conservative". That's bad for Isthmus, and bad for Madison. Ironically, it's also bad for conservatism, since over time people will internalize the idea that conservative writing can't be smart, insightful, and accurate.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”