Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Blaska and Isthmus's credibility

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Wow. Lots of conversation for a relatively obvious point.

Yes, the fact that The Isthmus gives a forum to a person like Dave Blaska seriously damages its credibility.

Tonight on FoxNews! Is the moon made of green cheese? Buzz Aldrin claims it isn't but the Reverend Fred Phelps claims it is! Bill O'Reilly moderates this great debate tonight on FoxNews!

There is such a thing as a "fact." Giving equal time to liars and idiots doesn't make you "fair and balanced"... it makes you part of the problem.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 am

pjbogart wrote:Yes, the fact that The Isthmus gives a forum to a person like Dave Blaska seriously damages its credibility....

There is such a thing as a "fact." Giving equal time to liars and idiots doesn't make you "fair and balanced"... it makes you part of the problem.

You left out "prick" in your taxonomy of Blaska's behavioral traits.

I think it's obvious that Blaska stays in the pages of Isthmus because he says what Joyce and Lueders et al. believe but know will draw flak. They can respond to the noise raised by his racist, misogynist, randroid posturing by saying "tut-tut, poor choice of words--but hey, first amendment!" and look reasonable, but meanwhile, the sentiments get aired without meaningful response. He posted flat-out lies here about the education "reform" in DC, including claims about how Michelle Rhee left her job there as public schools chancellor, which were immediately pointed out to be false. He then dropped that thread in the forum and posted the exact same lies in his blog, with no effort by the editor even to to acknowledge that he had already been caught out lying on the same topic on the paper's own damn forum. "Opinion pieces" and "blogs" don't need to be exhaustively researched and supported, but what is the point of printing complete lies and bigotry?

It's not my job as a reader to police Blaska's blog for falsehoods. That's what editors are for. If someone regularly fails to do their job, then I can only conclude that they don't want to do it. And in this case, that must mean that they agree with what is being said.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 am

Blaska wrote: That is why I fear those who would decide...what is "truth" and what is "lies, corruption and propaganda."

This pretty much sums it up for me.
http://www.thedailypage.com/blaska/article.php?article=32151

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Detritus wrote:
jjoyce wrote:One could argue that this morning's moves by Scott Walker might be just, they might be necessary.

OK, jj, let's see "one" argue that. You, specifically. How is a move to deny state workers the right to collective bargaining "just and necessary?" Oh, and see if you can do it without implying that "many" state workers are deadwood on the public dole, as you just did.

Sure, absolutely, there's some deadwood among the state workers, and the process to remove them is overly difficult and drawn out. This legitimate concern, and others, should be addressed fairly by both sides during collective bargaining.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Bill Lueders stands behind David Blaska

...while the Cap Times may be comfortable being called a "liberal paper," Isthmus is not. Our primary mission is to inform and not to persuade, and we have always made room in our pages for conservative voices.

Why do we do this, you ask? It's because we recognize that not everyone has the same political perspective, even in Madison, and because we believe that even those readers who do consider themselves liberal are able to withstand exposure to contrary views.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Contrary views aren't the problem Bill. But you already know that.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:46 am

As I said earlier, it's Affirmative Action for conservatives. Isthmus has a misguided idea that it needs to have at least one conservative commentator. The poor quality of Blaska's product is irrelevant to the decision.

I think this is a mistake. By failing to hold Blaska to any kind of standards of accuracy or reasonableness, Isthmus just contributes in a small way to the decline of journalism. They also signal that conservatives don't need to put in the effort required for serious, thoughtful writing. (Call this "the soft bigotry of low expectations.")

This is bad for Dane County, it's bad for Isthmus, and ultimately it's bad for conservatives, too. And, ironically, it won't change how right-wingers view Isthmus one iota. They're not going to suddenly start liking you. So what's the point?

HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 am

kurt_w wrote:By failing to hold Blaska to any kind of standards of accuracy or reasonableness

If academic humanities departments had any kind of standards of accuracy or reasonableness you wouldn't be there.

This is why walker is doing the UW and its paying students a favor, he is enforcing academic standards in the humanities department. Of course you don't see the engineering and business school academics crying foul, just the leftists in the humanities department.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:30 am

HamsterArmageddon wrote:
kurt_w wrote:By failing to hold Blaska to any kind of standards of accuracy or reasonableness

If academic humanities departments had any kind of standards of accuracy or reasonableness you wouldn't be there.

This is why walker is doing the UW and its paying students a favor, he is enforcing academic standards in the humanities department. Of course you don't see the engineering and business school academics crying foul, just the leftists in the humanities department.

Kurt W is an civil engineer (a professor, I believe). His screen name is taken from UW's Kurt Wendt.

Now don't you sound foolish?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:07 pm

kurt_w wrote:As I said earlier, it's Affirmative Action for conservatives. Isthmus has a misguided idea that it needs to have at least one conservative commentator. The poor quality of Blaska's product is irrelevant to the decision.

I remember reading somewhere on this Forum (even earlier on this thread?) that Jason defended Blaska's inclusion by extolling the quality of Blaska's contributions. I would not presume to call him a liar, so if he really believes that, then it is "relevant to the decision".

Perhaps the disconnect is in how one defines "quality". If accuracy is not a criterion, but getting people to react is, then he might serve a purpose. In fact, I think that is exactly why he's there.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Duh.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:42 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Duh.

Unusually articulate for you.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 am

There's so much wrongness here one hardly knows where to start.

HamsterArmageddon wrote:If academic humanities departments had any kind of standards of accuracy or reasonableness you wouldn't be there.

I'm not "there". Not in the humanities, and haven't taught at UW in about a decade.

Moran. As Hank pointed out, when I was at UW I was in the Engineering college. Haven't done a survey of the whole department, but I'm pretty sure my former colleagues agree that Walker is a loathsome idiot who's doing irreparable damage to the state.

I'd just add that UW is fortunate to have a remarkable number of high-quality faculty in many departments across the board, specifically including the humanities. I suspect that many of the best are quietly looking elsewhere. While I miss UW, I don't miss the low salary and large class sizes, nor the furloughs and pay cuts and whatnot that I've been hearing my former colleagues complaining about.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 am

Keep it up Blaska. You're driving them wild. :lol:

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 am

Keep it up Ned! At least Blaska gets paid for it - you're just giving it away.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”