TDP community manifesto

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TDP community manifesto

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Sheppy?

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 am

Jason, if I thought you were actually interested in building a community here at the forum, I'd offer suggestions, but it is clear that isn't what you're interested in. You're more interested in stirring up shit, and doing as little work as possible in moderating the forum in the process.

magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:26 am

Galoot wrote:Jason, if I thought you were actually interested in building a community here at the forum, I'd offer suggestions, but it is clear that isn't what you're interested in.

Depends on what "community" means. One of those words that is user-defined I think. Am I going to bake a quiche for Jason? No. Are we going to have a block party? That kind of community is probably unrealistic for most here.

Anonymity is one of the reasons I post. Some people here know who I am and that's fine. But I'm not keen on knowing everyone or poking into who they are unless they want to be known. So, that fact violates how some people view "community".

What I do like, here, is that there are a base of knowledgeable, witty, inquisitive people who might spout off, be introspective, be annoying, etc. Some people are both annoying and thought-provoking. Crap doesn't go by the board, and good thoughts are taken seriously. Read: I take them seriously. Obviously not everyone, but a good chunk. Is that community?

If I didn't enjoy what people are dishing about here, I wouldn't check. Even if it's "not what it used to be."

french press

Postby french press » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:38 am

Anonymity is one of the reasons I post. Some people here know who I am and that's fine. But I'm not keen on knowing everyone or poking into who they are unless they want to be known. So, that fact violates how some people view "community".

That is something I hadn't considered. You are right. Most people who want to use social media as an extention of their reality have turned to facebook.

this forum is unique in that you can pretend to be someone you are not or hide behind a charade.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:10 am

french press wrote:this forum is unique in that you can pretend to be someone you are not or hide behind a charade.

Says the coffee pot.

I'm with magic moose. Some people here know who I am and that's fine, but I like the sort-of anonymity. My forum identity is no different from my real-name identity, except that I don't have to worry whether my friends or employer would be negatively affected by what I post. Which is laughably self important, because who cares what I say? I guess it's a holdover from when I worked for a very small company and was new to online opining. Seemed like a big deal back then.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:00 am

Ha ha, charade you are.

magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:35 am

french press wrote:this forum is unique in that you can pretend to be someone you are not or hide behind a charade.

That's a point people make. I disagree with the judgment here about us semi-anonymous folks. Here's the rebuttal...

(1) Social norms are a weird thing. One might be indelicate about a point in anonymity and be terribly insightful. As a real person, you lose this. We then cross the line from being "insightful indelicate" to "indecent", I trust the moderator to chime in. It works. And, many times, the anonymous rabble has more "truth" than sanitized public discourse.

(2) Real pretenders are easy to smoke out whether you know their names or not. When you write, it's near impossible to keep your true voice out of it and create an entirely different "persona" that is a lie. In fact, prose posers are so reliably put down here that it's gratifying.

(3) There are people who are taken more seriously here *because* of their public personae than they would otherwise have. Blaska, frinstance, would be just another tool. Name hides an awful lot sometimes.

And, that said, you're totally a beverage-maker.

french press

Postby french press » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:56 pm

(3) There are people who are taken more seriously here *because* of their public personae than they would otherwise have.

That is not true. No one comes to these forums and even less take it seriously. The only people this forum serves is a small group of people who live in their own reality affirmed by a variety of circle jerk postures and ass patting attaboys.

Everyone here wants to suck Jasons cock and Jason wants to suck Mr. Blues'. This has been going on for only G-d knows how long. This forum is frozen in time.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:33 pm

french press wrote:Everyone here wants to suck Jasons cock and Jason wants to suck Mr. Blues'. This has been going on for only G-d knows how long.

Yahweh appreciates your conversational discretion.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 pm

I totally missed this meeting. I really haven't scrolled down to this section for a week? Maybe I should try that fancy "new posts" thing you all talk about.

I guess I'll have to come up with one of my innovative threads to jack things up. Remember these:

The let's write a story thread.
The exchanging unwanted possessions in hidden places around town thread.
The hidden drink chips at Woodman's thread.
The welcome new forons thread.

Remember?

Of course you don't, cuz it was only me and like two other people posting in them! But hey, I try.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:54 pm

I could revive my "What songs begin with 'and'?" thread.

Liz Phair, "Divorce Song"
Argent, "Hold Your Head Up"
Paul McCartney, "My Love"
Five Man Electrical Band, "Signs"

Okay, as you were.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:31 pm

french press wrote:
This forum is frozen in time.

Yet, you and blues keep coming back.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:55 am

Pretty sure it's evident from a couple of posts I've made previously, but here's the main thing that has irritated me about TDPF in the past year: the number of times new people enter the conversation, only to be hazed by forum vets and accused of being sock puppets or trolls masking their identity with a new handle. Seems to me that if they are neither, they just leave, bewildered and annoyed. And if they are either, they stay, ramping up to get ever more outrageous, or change their handle yet again. In any case, this does nothing to enrich the quality of the forum, and probably does much in the way of detracting lurkers who may otherwise post.

I come here mainly for the food/drink and music threads. Sometimes I can get into the local politics threads--as a bit of a political junkie I always read them, but I've learned over the last few years not to dip a toe in unless I've got a crystal clear grasp on every aspect of the issues and a solid stance of my own.

Come to think of it, perhaps this is the underlying vibe that's eroding TDPF quality: an overwhelming amount of scrutiny, the kind that wouldn't likely be found around your neighbor's kitchen table in conversation (the likes of which, in my experience, most community forums tend to emulate). I like to offer my opinion and join the debate, but don't like the oft-immediate "What right do you have to opine? How could you have forgotten that one thing about this? Where did you get your facts? Didn't you look at X or Y or Z? Oh, and don't forget a thread exists already on this very topic from 2 years ago. Why haven't you looked at it?" Usually I just back off. Gimme a break. Haven't had my coffee yet, and was just posting on an internet forum, not writing a grad school research paper.

Anyway, overall I enjoy the varying personalities here and I'm happy to contribute when I feel comfortable doing so. This is a good thread, Jason-- thanks for that.

On a minor note, the spammers are super annoying, especially for those of us (myself included) who usually just check out the most popular forum topics sidebar instead of going to the actual forum page first. But you knew that.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 pm

gargantua wrote:Other than for a tweak here and there, I counsel riding it out for a few months. Local elections, a change of season, time for some Walker policies to really bite, and this place could lively up in a hurry.

I had to bump this up, since I get to be right. Forum sure is lively now huh? Given the reasons, I think I'd prefer boring.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm

You beat me to it.

Next time we have a slow week on the Forum, we'll know it's a slow NEWS week.

And we'll be thankful, if it's this kind of news.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”