Linda Baldwin fires desperate salvo for OC

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Linda Baldwin fires desperate salvo for OC

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:41 pm

The renaming idea is silly because anyone with an attention span greater than your average stoner will recall that the place they used to call The Overture Center is The Overture Center.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:47 pm

I'll have to defer to Ben on that one.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Where did I call Ben average?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm reading this book called "Switch - How to change things when change is hard".

There's a story in there about the St. Lucia Parrot which was on the brink of extinction until someone figured out a way "to convince St. Lucians that they were the kind of people who protected their own"

This book would be an excellent Christmas present for Ms. Baldwin.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:22 pm

So, bdog, is your position on the Overture Center coming from your rational system or your emotional system?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:31 pm

excellent...

a little bit of both. but...it's my emotional side that shows most on the forum.

That might change if I could buy a "Don't fuck with my Overture!" t-shirt. No seriously, it might.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Average Joe wrote:The renaming idea is silly because anyone with an attention span greater than your average stoner will recall that the place they used to call The Overture Center is The Overture Center.

I think you overestimate the attention span of about 90 percent of the US population. No offense intended and I'm learning things by watching you and bdog here, but I think you underestimate the effect a name change would have. In my experience, that sort of thing is more powerful than you think.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Sell the naming rights for a fee equal to the city's cost for annual maintenance. Maybe Oscar Meyer will pay for the whole shebang.

Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:55 pm

OK, I haven't been paying enough attention. I check the schedule regularly and find few things of interest to (white, townie) me (except the Neville Bros. and Dr. John show which was worth every dollar and Hubbard Street is always great.)

Finally this bugged me and I sent an email to a generic address asking how programming decisions are made. I got a response from some functionary with a "vp"in her title who noted that "there many considerations that go into programming.... I would be happy to talk with you about this is (sic) you want to have a phone conversation."

That was enough for me. I don't have time for evasiveness. This is a question that should be able to be answered directly.

Can it? Does someone here know?

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:06 pm

I've yet to meet anyone who has referred to the Coliseum as The Alliant Energy Center.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Average Joe wrote:I've yet to meet anyone who has referred to the Coliseum as The Alliant Energy Center.

So much the better.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:52 pm

I'd liken it more to the Marquette "Warriors" -> "Golden Eagles".

Although I'm sure there are some die-hards that refuse to acknowledge that name change.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:08 pm

bdog wrote:I'd liken it more to the Marquette "Warriors" -> "Golden Eagles".

Really? What building was renamed as a result of that name change?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Average Joe wrote:
bdog wrote:I'd liken it more to the Marquette "Warriors" -> "Golden Eagles".

Really? What building was renamed as a result of that name change?

Wow you really can't make that leap huh? OK, I'll go through it slow for ya:

1. You likened changing the name of the Overture to changing the name of the Coliseum to the Alliant Energy Center. You said people still refer to it as the Coliseum, inferring that people would still refer to Overture as Overture even if it changed names. BTW, people might still refer to it as the Coliseum since THAT'S STILL IT'S NAME. Alliant Energy Center is the name for the whole complex. Anyway, I ignored this oversight since I saw the point you were making.

2. I broadened the debate to name changes in general. I didn't warn you that there was no building involved and for this I am sorry. Next time I will assume you can't make the leap on your own.

3. Now, only talking about name changes in general - *** Joe, there's no building involved ***, I was pointing to the Marquette example as a change that was successfully accepted by the masses. And this was a name that was used much much longer than Overture has been used.

Got it? No building involved.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:32 pm

No. You basically said renaming the Overture Center would solve the problem of the Overture Center. I said that was silly. You said no it wasn't and offered up a couple of juvenile reasons why not. I shot every one of those reasons down. Now you're hyperventilating. Sorry to harsh your buzz, dude.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”