Linda Baldwin fires desperate salvo for OC

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Linda Baldwin fires desperate salvo for OC

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:40 pm

She mentions the Barrymore and Stoughton Opera House in her opinion piece. I'm wondering how many of those we could have had for the price of Overture. 10? 20?

Linda, just let it die. I know your ego is tied up in it, but look at the facts. If not now, it will happen sooner or later.

This thing does not belong in Madison. It wouldn't even belong in a real "big city" in today's economy.

Square peg. Round hole. Let it go.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Linda Baldwin fires desperate salvo for OC

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:22 am

I did find grating her statement that it's somehow my fault they don't put on any programming I care to go to:
If you've not been to a show at Overture, find one of the many that appeals to you, buy tickets and go.

Not all of us in this town are walking embodiments of Stuff White People Like.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Only a white person would enjoy a celebration of Mary Lou William's work? A person of color would not be entertained at the MAMA's award show? Tech N9ne and Big Scoob are stuff white people like?

I'm not saying that you personally may care to go to any of those. I am saying that Overture offers more diversity than you give them credit for.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:20 pm

This sounds like an awesome show:

http://www.overturecenter.com/production/drumline-live

Everyone should keep in mind that Overture would not be in trouble if the market hadn't tanked. The banks that financed the center had written into the funding agreement for the center that the endowment that Mr. Frautchi established would have to be liquidated if it dropped below a certain threshold. When that happened it eliminated any possibility that the endowment could recover, which it probably would have since the market is basically back to pre-crash levels. I also seem to recall that Mayor Dave wanted to pay off the mortgage with the endowment and have the city take over ownership with no lien on the center prior to the crash, you know, because there might someday be a crash and you wouldn't want the endowment wiped out.

Rex Holmes

Postby Rex Holmes » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:01 am

My favorite part is when she says, after she explains why the arts = good, she says "All of this is the gift from the Overture Center." Does she not know that we, the community, are already paying for that "gift," and will be doing so for generations? Are people on that board that clueless about which way the money's going? I find it insulting to be chided for not being sufficiently grateful for this tremendous "gift" that has been bestowed on our pocketbooks. And I find it unnerving to think that this apparently is the prevailing view held by the anointed ministers of culture.

The question is this: What will happen when the next board of management wizards fails? Will we again be subject to the tsk-tsking implication that Overture's horrendous mismanagement is somehow our fault?

For some reason the phrase "you broke it, you bought it" comes to mind. I didn't break the city's successful Civic Center, and when it comes to accusations that somehow we don't know the value of the arts, I'm not buying it.

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:10 pm

The Overture is one of the many reasons i choose to live here. I go once in a while, and when I do, it's a class act. I am up for making it work. The city needs to step up. I don't want to be funding/defunding everything that makes this a great city.

And fuck the budget deficit. That will fix itself.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Of the benefits she mentions, how many would not have been available in the old Civic Center? I saw quite a few concerts there and a few plays, and I liked them. Sure, the Civic Center had a crappy layout overall, but that doesn't mean that the city needed to take on a huge new debt and saddle us with higher property taxes, just to fix the layout of the old Civic Center.

Just because it is now built does not mean that the taxpayers are obligated to pay for the upkeep and other costs associated with it. Ms. Baldwin, you haven't really made much of an argument at all for this.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Galoot wrote:
Just because it is now built does not mean that the taxpayers are obligated to pay for the upkeep and other costs associated with it.

Actually, it pretty much does. It is not in the best interest of anyone to allow that huge facility be shuttered in the heart of State Street. It is in best interest of everyone to find a way to make it work. The facility is built and isn't about to be unbuilt anytime soon. For the common council/city pretending they can wash their hands of this situation by proclaiming it a "privately run business" is childish and I expect better from our elected officials.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Heh - it was childish to build something so expensive in the first place. The Common Council has the responsibility to make sure the city doesn't throw good money after bad.

Shuttered - no. Cut up - yes.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:23 pm

bdog wrote:Heh - it was childish to build something so expensive in the first place. The Common Council has the responsibility to make sure the city doesn't throw good money after bad.

Shuttered - no. Cut up - yes.

The Overture Center would still have a sustaining endowment if it had not been for the unreasonable stipulations the banks put on the financing package. A rider to the requirement of liquidation of the endowment upon the devaluation of the stock in the endowment dropping below a certain threshold should have been added to require the banks financing the project to consider the lien paid in full upon their required cashing out of the endowment.

And how exactly do you expect the Overture Center to be profitable "cut up"?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Not sure why a bank would agree to such a rider, but who knows.

My thought is, OC got in trouble for the same reason a lot of people do - they bought too big a house. If they would have cut the extravagance we wouldn't be having this conversation.

How EXACTLY to cut it up? No clue.

I don't even know how generally you would cut it up. I'm sure some smart entrepreneur can figure that out.

We are not stuck with this thing.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:45 pm

bdog wrote:

We are not stuck with this thing.

Sorry, dude, but the city is not going to be able to cut and run from this issue. Even if the current common council turns it over to a "private" foundation it will only be a matter of a few years before the issue comes back. And just like every other "kick the can down the road" strategy used throughout history, the problem will only be greater when forced to deal with it at some point in the future.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:15 pm

And the issue would come back because it was insolvent again?

I don't buy that there isn't a way to make it profitable.

I do buy there isn't a way to make it profitable with the current oversight. OC needs some new blood.

It also needs a new image, which a re-naming would certainly help. "Overture Center" is synonymous with a lot of bad things right now.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:26 pm

The Clear privation plan has no stipulations for any changes in the current management team.

And renaming is just silly.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Why is renaming silly?

A major criticism of OC is that it was built for the fat cats. The name reinforces that.

Good luck trying to get your average joe behind subsidizing the fat cat's playground.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”