Oh, the hypocrisy on TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Oh, the hypocrisy on TDPF

Postby scratch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:18 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Re: getting freebies for a review. I hope, scratch, you're disclosing that. There are federal guidelines covering pay for play and the like, that go far above TDPF etiquette.

Thanks so much for your kind concern. Yes indeed I do report the free copies (when they come, which isn't 100% of the time) as well as the remuneration reflected on the 1099 forms I receive. And you? Do you declare every aperitif you might receive at a favorite dinner spot (when you're not actually doing a review, of course)? Your kind concern is exceeded only by your sancitmony.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 am

scratch wrote:Your kind concern is exceeded only by your sancitmony.

And my early morning spelling and proofreading skills. Make that "sanctimony."

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 am

I don't understand why people think that, because it's the internet and this is a "public" forum, all traditional concepts of familiarity, propriety and community go right out the window.

Let's suppose you meet at a local coffee shop several times a week with the same group of friends. You discuss everything under the sun. One morning some stranger at the counter (not the guy you wave to a couple times per week, but a total stranger) overhears your conversation. He doesn't like it.

He steps to your table and proceeds to express his opinion about your opinions, including that one particular member of your group whom he has never met has "an ax to grind."

Come on now... you're not bent? Not even a little? You don't think the guy is a major dick? Really?

Why is the internet different? Just because it's public and one can post anonymously? Sure it's public, and anyone can join. But just like any organization in the real world, one should know the "lay of the land" before deciding when and where to crap. Crap first, it'll be thrown right back at you.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:11 am

Aw, scratch, it was meant as humor, not sanctimony. My apologies if I was obtuse.

And I actually don't get freebies. I'm not regular enough anywhere to establish that kind of familiarity.

EDIT: I take that back. I've had the occasional experimental bar or scone sent my way at my most frequent cafe stop. But I've never covered them for any article.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:50 am

Back to one of the OP's first questions: The TDPF is just like anything else in life....the newbie at work, the rookie on the football team, even the new acquaintance. Newbies don't have the same level of credibility as the people you already know and work with. Until they have demonstrated whatever competence, talent, wisdom, what have you for awhile, they just aren't going to be taken as seriously as proven commodities.

Skepticism is part of the rite of passage, and it is certainly not limited to this Forum.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Aw, scratch, it was meant as humor, not sanctimony. My apologies if I was obtuse.

My mistake. Profuse apologies.

badjoke

Postby badjoke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:18 pm

With all apologies to Gregory....

I think jman111 has an ax to grind, and chose this site to make it. It seems that she/he has little knowledge of the many components required to juggle a web forum in this time of general dis-trust. There are many factors in play always for a foron, and few if any of them are visible to folks like jman111.

Having stated the obvious let me say something that many not be aware of about TDPF.

The first time I stepped into TDPF was about three years ago, which seems about the time some of the posters in this thread joined as well. In fact, this was the first forum I looked at in the area after we moved into our home we bought in 2007. My partner and I have been to TDPF often as it is only a couple clicks away, but we also enjoy it especially on those cold or wet days.

I can tell you that the first visit to the forum was like a warm cozy feeling enveloping me as if I were going into someone’s home. It was soon thereafter I learned that a family of regulars from Madison Visits the forum where everything is opinionated, and can only be described as awesomely close-knitted.

From the senior members that chat and make easy conversation, to TheBookPolice who comes out with his suspiscions on to make sure you're not a shill, there is a sincere desire to make an excellent community. I love the snarky comments that never fail to raise my blood pressure level when I enter. It is like walking into the home of a relative where there is recognition you are there, but ‘They also don't appreciate when some new member with a clear agenda starts taking absurd potshots at long-time members of the community.’ That causal charm is part of the reading experience.

There is a warm loaf of sarcasm and a plate of intelligent challenge waiting for you………even for jman111. (They allow cursing too, just in case.....)

Really, we must have better things to do in Madison than beat up on a senior member that has been here for many years, and one that gives back to the community.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:13 pm

This is exactly why when I signed up for this forum many years ago, I skipped my first and second post entirely and began posting with my third. That showed'em!

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Ooh, I feel like such a bigwig now! Let's see... can I pooh-pooh the lobby decor of Velo Bahn yet, or is it too late to pre-criticize?

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”