What is your religion?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

What is your religion?

Budhist
3%
Christian, Catholic
3%
Christian, Protestant
3%
Hindu
3%
Jewish
No votes
Muslim
3%
Other
38%
None (Atheist)
47%

Total votes: 32

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What is your religion?

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:36 pm

They talk by flapping their meat at each other.

Well that certainly explains the Forum.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Ducatista wrote:I was thinking, Hey, where's Atheist, Catholic? when I read your post, which makes you sound simplistic. More comically than offensively, though, so you've got that going for you.

I'm an apathist (don't know, don't much care), but my Catholic upbringing is such a big part of my cultural identity I'm not going to disclaim it.

Agnostic, btw, doesn't mean doesn't care if there's a god. It means doesn't think we can ever know.

Today's neologism has to be "apatheistic." (I misread your post, but I like the misreading.)

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:02 pm

I think I might be another pantheist.

Curiously, on one side of the family I have Christians, on the other side generations (it seems) of agnostics, atheists, and apathists (or whatever it is). It's hard for mainstream-types to believe, but in some families that tradition is just as deep as Judaism, Christianity, or Islam. We keep our heads down, but we pass it on to our descendents same as the believers do.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:55 pm

The problem with being an atheist is the music sucks. I can almost believe in Jesus if the music is good. So, Quakerism is out for me.

Growing up in the Lutheran faith, I learned how important it was to have a big organ---in the church I mean. The standard hymns sound best with someone who can really work that organ.

Of course black churches have the best gospel music, and the best theatre. I was in a Unitarian Congregation that had lots of atheists, a few pagans and pantheists along with the lapsed Catholics and reformed Pentacostals, and not one real Unitarian or black person. We still tried to sing Gospel songs.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:18 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rabble wrote:I would also suggest that while the universe appears to behave the same when viewed from 15 billion light years away, it is just appearance. We don't know. All we know is that light appears to behave the same way.

We know considerably more than that. Light tells us what the chemical makeup is of the things which it passes through. Observing the universe in all directions at all ages we've found no evidence to suggest that chemistry differs anywhere in the observable universe from how it works in our own neighborhood. That's a pretty strong observation, especially considering there's no theoretical reason why chemistry needs to be the same everywhere. It is completely reasonable to theorize that different pockets of spacetime would have different laws of physics, yet observations have failed to detect any differences.

Yes. Our observations tell us it's no different out there. And yet we see absolutely no evidence of anyone else.

We can postulate that, based on our observance of light, the physical laws apply, but we don't know. We can't know. If we accept the postulate that the laws of physics apply 15 billion light years away, we also have to accept the postulate that we have absolutely no evidence of extraterrestrials. To put it another way, we have as much evidence that extraterrestrials exist as we do that any of the deities exist.

To say that because the Universe is infinite there must be other civilizations, is no different than saying that in an infinite universe there must be a god out there somewhere. Both of them require some reasoning combined with leaps of faith.

Boyce Johnson
Forum Addict

Postby Boyce Johnson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:58 am

To say that because the Universe is infinite there must be other civilizations, is no different than saying that in an infinite universe there must be a god out there somewhere. Both of them require some reasoning combined with leaps of faith.

It's entirely different.

The case for extraterrestrial life goes something like this:
A. Life exists here.
B. Evidence suggests that conditions there are similar to conditions here.
C. There's a good chance life exists there.

The case for the existence of God:
A. God exists here.
Oops.

In other words, saying something that is known to exist probably exists elsewhere is quite different than saying something for which there is no evidence exists at all.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:22 am

Boyce Johnson wrote:

It's entirely different.

The case for extraterrestrial life goes something like this:
A. Life exists here.
B. Evidence suggests that conditions there are similar to conditions here.
C. There's a good chance life exists there.

The case for the existence of God:
A. God exists here.
Oops.

In other words, saying something that is known to exist probably exists elsewhere is quite different than saying something for which there is no evidence exists at all.

So, you're saying that if X does not exist here, X does not exist anywhere in the universe?

Boyce Johnson
Forum Addict

Postby Boyce Johnson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:34 am

Not at all. I'm just saying that the two statements in question are not, as you said, "no different."

Although, for the record, I think if there's no evidence (here, there, or anywhere) for the existence of X, it doesn't make any sense to assume that X exists.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:40 am

rabble wrote:So, you're saying that if X does not exist here, X does not exist anywhere in the universe?

Of course not. No one (in this particular sub-discussion) is saying that a god or gods definitely don't exist. We're also not saying that other civilizations definitely exist.

We're saying that the chances of other civilizations existing is a whole lot closer to certainty than gods existing, because, well, we exist. (And conditions for life exist seem to exist elsewhere, blah blah.)

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm just hoping that if there ARE other civilizations out there, it's more of the "hot green ladies in Star Trek" variety and less the H.R. Geiger variety.

Actually, let's say I have the same hopes for heaven or whatever comes after - more hot green ladies, less H.R. Geiger.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:27 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
rabble wrote:So, you're saying that if X does not exist here, X does not exist anywhere in the universe?

Of course not. No one (in this particular sub-discussion) is saying that a god or gods definitely don't exist. We're also not saying that other civilizations definitely exist.

We're saying that the chances of other civilizations existing is a whole lot closer to certainty than gods existing, because, well, we exist. (And conditions for life exist seem to exist elsewhere, blah blah.)

And I'm saying in a pretty roundabout way that when you're speaking in infinities, every possibility approaches 1.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Most theologians admit that their belief in a supreme being is a matter of faith and not based on empirical evidence.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Most theologians admit that their belief in a supreme being is a matter of faith and not based on empirical evidence.

Why does that affect the possibility? And why is that different than the belief in extraterrestrials?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:51 pm

rabble wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Most theologians admit that their belief in a supreme being is a matter of faith and not based on empirical evidence.

Why does that affect the possibility? And why is that different than the belief in extraterrestrials?

We exist. By deduction, others might exist somewhere in the cosmos. One cannot say the same thing about a godhead.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm a blasphemer.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”