Blaska's Blog 2/23/10

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Blaska's Blog 2/23/10

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 am

Blaska:
At the top of the public employees heap are the unionized teachers. in Wisconsin, while state and county employees took furloughs that reduced their take-home pay, Madison teachers suffered no such loss in pay. The students may be failing but the teachers always succeed.

F*ck you, you f*cking sh*t-hat. I've always tried to read your blog with an open mind, but this the first time I've been ashamed of the Isthmus for publishing your drivel.

-Dan Motor

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Blaska's Blog 2/23/10

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 am

Hack with a capital h. Never read his column.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:42 am

Is what he said true?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 am

If teachers are furlowed, school could not be held on those days. That would violate DPI regulations on minimum required school days.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:01 pm

A School isn't a business. If we ask ourselves "Is our children learning?" and the answer is "no" cutting their funding isn't going to fix it. Teachers don't make enough period. If they made more they maybe more people would choose to do it.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Conservatives are opposed to public education. Is this news? I mean, their poster boy Glenn Beck recently railed against the income tax as a tool of "progressivism" which he equates with Communism. If you saw Jon Stewart last night, you'd also know that Beck is a proponent of educating one's self with the "free" books from the library which apparently isn't subsidized by tax dollars in his world. But I digress.

If you don't recognize that privatization of education is the ultimate goal of these people, you need to pay closer attention. I keep trying to figure out why. I suspect a lot of it has to do with the busting up of a union. Some of them believe that religious education is the way to go, but since they can't afford it (few can these days), they want the government to pay for it with vouchers.

Why work to better public schools when you can just divert public funds to private schools, which always succeed, right? Just leave the Constitution out of it for now. Also ignore the part about how private schools can pick and choose who they want to educate, instead of taking everyone, which helps a lot with those test scores. Also: private schools pay their teachers pretty well which probably doesn't have anything to do with quality.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Agree with most of what you said, but I don't think that non-unionized private school teachers make more money than public school teachers.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Prior to the widespread introduction of public schools throughout the U.S. (about 100 years ago), when private education was the only option, a mere 5% finished high school.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:16 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Agree with most of what you said, but I don't think that non-unionized private school teachers make more money than public school teachers.

I suppose it depends on the school, but I'd bet a teacher at Edgewood High makes more than his/her counterpart at East. And has better benefits. And rarely/ever has to deal with discipline.

I know there are teachers and former teachers on this board. Chime in!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:45 pm

jjoyce wrote:I suppose it depends on the school, but I'd bet a teacher at Edgewood High makes more than his/her counterpart at East. And has better benefits. And rarely/ever has to deal with discipline.

I know there are teachers and former teachers on this board. Chime in!

Retired public school teacher here. I don't know what pay and bennies Edgewood H.S. teachers earn, but you are correct about discipline, as private schools can be very picky about who they select as students. Public schools must accept all that come through their doors. The tuition at Edgewood High is about the same as an in-state undergrad pays at UW.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Why can't public schools reject problem students? If behavioral issues are the biggest problem keeping public school teachers from doing their job, then solve the behavioral problems (by removing these students). If low pay is the biggest obstacle to keeping a class running smoothly, then you guys have an argument.

One of my friends from college went to a private HS and was determined to one day teach there. He turned down a few better paying public school jobs and waited for an offer from his HS, which he eventually did get. This was in KY, so the situation might differ slightly there. I went to a public HS in KY and it wasn't too bad - but it was also in a relatively wealthy suburban area.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Full disclosure: I went to prep school for 3 years and my mother-in-law is a soon-to-be-retired public school teacher. I think salaries are a wash, and may be even higher for long tenured public school teachers in a union.

http://www.nais.org/career/article.cfm? ... ber=142459

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos318.htm

The benefits of teaching at a prep school are free housing (often) and free tuition for children (and yes, less classroom disruption). Doubt that health and retirement bennies are better than public.
Last edited by boston_jeff on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Prior to the widespread introduction of public schools throughout the U.S. (about 100 years ago), when private education was the only option, a mere 5% finished high school.

Bingo.

Republicans don't give a good goddamn about every child having a right to a free public education. Why? An uneducated electorate is one that's easily swayed by the sort of ridiculous rhetoric the GOP traffics in. Does anyone know anyone of average intelligence who bought into that death panels nonsense? Birthers? "Keep your Big Government hands off my Medicare?" Fucking morons, every one of 'em.

Don't believe me? Check out the disparity in education levels between Democrats and Republicans. Check out which states routinely have the most abysmal test scores and tell me if they swing red or blue.

This ain't rocket science, folks. The GOP wants to keep 'em stupid. And the way to do that is to degrade public education at every turn. They'd just as soon every teen and tween were out there working anyway. Remember, in the Good Ol' Days the machines of industry were oiled with the blood of the working class. This whole "education for all" business results in too many people competing for a slice of the pie, and it's harder to operate an aristocracy under such conditions.

But back to the OP: How many loyal readers have to tell you that you're degrading your entire operation by printing the puerile screeds of this idiotic man-child, Isthmus? Your own staff derides Glen Beck's drooling lunacy, and yet you've got a pony on the payroll whose only trick is to do his best to ape that buffoon.

What's the breaking point? Have you no shame or pride? Do the words "beneath you" not carry any significance over there in the editorial office? Or has it always been a cumulative wet dream over there to become more like the State Journal?

Yeah, I guess relevance and credibility are overrated, huh? Anything to increase clicks-through and make a dime, right?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 pm

I think this has to do with fear of racial integration, anti-secularism, vouchers, and the supposed "failure" of our public school system. I believe in our system, and I support public education (as well as the right to private). However, those that do not and refuse to participate are not automatically less intelligent. Whatever you think of home-schooling, many who engage in the practice have very successful and intelligent children. They're not all religious leotards.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:05 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Why can't public schools reject problem students?

Because the state guarantees the right to a free public eduction.

See 118.13, Wisconsin state statutes.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”