Can we make it stop?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Can we make it stop?

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Blaska's right. People who think and are educated never go for liberalism.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/201001 ... ost/440998

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Yes, that's what I'm saying, dolt. This is a web forum maintained by a private enterprise, not a public forum. Banning is not equivalent to locking someone away for shouting their opinion from a street corner. Isthmus can do whatever the hell it wants. If you write a letter to the editor and they refuse to print it have they likewise squelched your right to speak your opinion? No, they haven't. No difference.

Of course Isthmus can do whatever it wants. However, not printing an article in a paper is different than removing/banning someone’s posts because you disagree with them, which some have suggested in this thread. It is putting your thumb on the scale of the debate.

Uncle_Leaver wrote:My point is that banning isn't a Bill of Rights issue, nothing more. But I suspect you've never in your life read the Bill of Rights, so it's no surprise to me this distinction would be lost on you.

Who said anything about the Bill of Rights or the Constitution? I think it’s a bad idea for a forum to ban people for expressing an alternative view. It leads to monothought and echochamberism.

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Sez you. Over the years, I've contributed more substance to these pages than you'll muster in a lifetime of exercising your remedial cognitive powers. I don't need to defend myself to an inflexible debate flunky like you.I ridicule those deserving of ridicule. Sorry if I've offended your delicate sensibilities. Oh wait ... no I'm not.

Thanks. You just substantiated my point.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:06 pm

David Blaska wrote:If anyone should be "banned" it is Leaver for his foul language. However, his angry, inchoate sputterings -- reminiscent of a Tourette's sufferer in a snakepit -- does serve as a representative specimen of liberalism -- all emotion, no thought. Plus, I enjoy his misery.

This post perfectly sums up why I rarely read your column.

Its the combination of arrogance, condescension and just a little too cute that loses me.

But I have to agree, a little less foul language on this board would do us all some good.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:25 pm

David Blaska wrote:If anyone should be "banned" it is Leaver for his foul language. However, his angry, inchoate sputterings -- reminiscent of a Tourette's sufferer in a snakepit -- does serve as a representative specimen of liberalism -- all emotion, no thought. Plus, I enjoy his misery.

Oh yeah, my sailor talk is so much more offensive than your thinly veiled racist screeds.

Let's see, you live in a cocoon of cowardice under a cloud of xenophobia. You practically piss yourself every time a group of black teens passes you on the street, and you advocate vigilante-style justice. But I'm the one who's miserable. Gotcha. Whatever helps you sleep at night, little man.

So if I'm the "Tourette's sufferer" I guess that would make you the snake, huh? Okay, I'll accept that analogy (although it does something of a disservice to cold-blooded creatures everywhere).

I would gladly voluntarily walk away from this place (again) and spare everyone's tender sensibilities (what, do y'all only ever go to G movies or what?) if Isthmus would quit subsidizing that worthless and perennially repugnant crap heap you call a blog. Until then, "offensive" is a relative term, dig?
Last edited by Uncle_Leaver on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:I'm the one who said banning is unnecessary if people just stop responding to idiots like Tiggs. Your comprehension skills really suck, dude. No wonder you have no use for libraries.

Uncle_Leaver wrote:That said, banning wouldn't be necessary if idiots would just stop responding to these troglodytes.

This implies that you think banning would be necessary, because people continue to respond to Tiggs. It would have been more clear if you would have said "banning is unnecessary" without the conditional clause.
Last edited by butters on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 pm

David Blaska wrote: does serve as a representative specimen of liberalism -

Blaska, I actually read your columns a lot. Statements/behavior like that above is when you really lose me. Selectively picking out some particular behavior, and saying "that's a liberal" as though that's representative of all liberal thought.

It isn't, and you and Flanders and Limbaugh know it. It's just as fair as me picking out, say, Sarah Palin, and claiming she represents all conservatives.

I don't think that's true, but perhaps you disagree?

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:47 pm

You've been listening to Icky McKenna's show?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:23 pm

So this is where the goat fucking thread came from. And you guys say Tiggs hasn't contributed anything.

Every new controversial poster is eventually accused of being sheppy. Y'all really think about him that much?

Oh look, I said "Y'all". Who could I be?

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Snoqueen is right, an unmoderated forum is doomed to a signal-to-noise ratio approaching zero, and Tiggs is driving that ratio down with every crappy post. That, and Jason's complete disregards of repeated requests to filter out the "free unlocked iPhone" spam posts, leads me to conclude that TDPF is only going to get worse.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:43 pm

I guess I don't get it: If you identify someone as a bugaboo, who isn't interested in discussion but instead wants only to "get a rise" out of others, why voluntarily play into his hand? Can you really not resist? Are you so incapable of creating your own commentary that you're only able to respond to others? Can't you drown out crap with quality? Apparently not; you need someone to ban the jackass because you can't trust yourself to just ignore him.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:41 pm

jjoyce wrote:Can't you drown out crap with quality?

The sheer number and length of its posts assures that this will never happen, except in categories it doesn't monitor.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:55 pm

I didn't start this thread to advocate banning. I figured Tiggs was doing a good job of that. I started it to remind the fellow members of this community of what it took me a long time to learn. Stop feeding the bugaboo.

It doesn't moniter any section of this forum except national politics. It's probably not even local. And there's still a good chance it's sheppy. But even in threads where everyone has behaved it still posts and posts and posts. Some of those threads are four or five posts long. All tiggs. At this point how is it any different than spam? It's littering up our community. Let's everyone who doesn't like it try to do our best not to feed this disease maybe it will go away. If it doesn't and it just keeps having conversations with itself I would like Joyce to take out the trash.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:57 am

It sounds like Joyce does not want to be a nanny. It really isn't too hard to ignore trolls if they stick to their own threads. Sometime it's a bit distracting when they invade other threads. I don't bother reading the bugaboo posts because they have no point and are not worth my time.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:42 am

Jason, do you want a lively and successful discussion board or not? If so, then quit trying to change human nature, which is to RESPOND to someone who is being provocatively stupid.

As Snoqueen said, this has been tried over and over again over the last 15 years, and it ALWAYS fails when the moderators just plead with the community to not respond to the trolls. It is much like the owner of a coffeeshop refusing to kick out the street person who is walking around and trying to butt into each and every conversation. It's stupid to expect people to not respond when the bugaboo is deliberately trying to provoke a response.

So it's your choice. You can sit and whine and wail about how we are not following your clear moderator instructions to just not post responses to the troll--even though you just started a thread which seemed to clearly INVITE that bugaboo to respond--or you can actually BE A MODERATOR, and realize that you aren't going to change human nature by your oh-so-sincere requests.

And you haven't said why you can't filter out the "free iPhone" posts either.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:41 am

My what a lively and successful discussion this thread has become.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”