Live blogging experiment

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Live blogging experiment

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 pm

For those of you who tuned in and/or participated, I'm wondering if this kind of idea is one we should pursue on other occasions.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=27697

It's essentially a chat room, but designed for a specific period in time and focused on one event. I think the Edgewater debate was great because people could watch on TV and submit questions and comments that could be answered by Joe Tarr, who was live on the council floor. Even better, Brenda Konkel and Robbie Weber logged in and participated throughout. Politics aside, both have extensive parliamentary experience and some insight into why the hell the council operates a certain way.

I think you can also run CoverItLive on mobile devices, so there's a lot of potential.

I guess I'm asking: Should we try this again?

If we do, I'd like to invite some specific people and publicize it as an opportunity to get questions answered while something is going down from people in the know. I really like that the experience depends on the quality of the audience that it attracts and I'm pretty happy about the results.

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Live blogging experiment

Postby robbie webber » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:39 pm

I had a good time, once I got official authorization, so that the posts flowed more smoothly.

Sorry I fell asleep there around 2:30 AM, and then again around 4:00 AM. But at that point, I think the only people reading the blog were in the room. Although Basford came back after a short nap.

I'm not sure if it was the wifi in the Council room, which was slow on other sites as well, or the program you were using, but it seemed a bit sluggish. Unless one is actually logged in with an official user name, the posts take for-freaking-ever to appear.

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Oh, and as to running on mobile devices, I think Channel3000 was using the same program during the blizzard. My phone isn't all that fast, but I never saw any of my comments appear as I was on the bus going home. But there were way more people logged into that blog, so maybe my comments just never came up.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:20 pm

The comments come into a queue and you have to approve them one at a time until you grant a person the right to have their stuff show up automatically.

I think the idea would be to figure out how to invite certain people in as contributors from the start and those people would essentially be running the blog. For most of it, I was just approving comments, which was fine.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:23 pm

It was my first time watching this type of technology in action, and I found it interesting/amusing.
I'd watch it again, but only for "Superbowl" caliber meetings such as this Edgewater mess.

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:35 pm

jjoyce wrote:I guess I'm asking: Should we try this again? If we do, I'd like to invite some specific people and publicize it as an opportunity to get questions answered while something is going down from people in the know.

Make sure you include an Isthmus "reporter" sitting at home who can persistently pester people for more information and verbally chastise the editorializing comment approver. That was a good addition.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I liked and appreciated it.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Peacetrain wrote:I liked and appreciated it.

Is hell freezing over? Peacetrain said something positive and not passive-aggressive!

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”