Banning People...

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ban Doppel...

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:14 am

I crossed a line and I apologize to the forum. If the board feels that my offending comment outweighs my contributions, I will be banned. I erroneously assumed that I can get away with making a homophobic comment because I am gay and me and my friends often make such comments amongst ourselves in jest and to taunt, but would probably never make those comments to someone outside our group or who isn't gay as it would probably be taken as extremely offensive. All I can say, after apologizing again, is that I will work harder to self-edit my glib comments.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 am

Mad Mind sent me an email about this today. I had to tell him again that I really don't care, I don't have power, etc.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:31 am

That's a very earnest and kind apology, white_rabbit. The thing is, I'm not offended at all. In my opinion, when participating in a public forum one has to expect a certain amount of goofiness/offensive comments/polarizing political views/ignorance....just as one can expect welcome new perspectives and ideas, and a lively conversation. If we were all hanging out at a coffee shop chatting, it would be the same way.

I was just wondering if there are any hard and fast rules regarding banning-- it seems that it's at the discretion of the moderator/s currently, which seems fair, but it would be interesting to know what it takes to earn back the trust of TDPF.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:00 am

I think it would be pretty difficult to adhere to a hard and fast set of rules regarding banning. Of course, this leads to those that do get kicked off to complain of favoritism. However, I find it damn near impossible to believe that anyone that has gotten kicked off this Forum never had an inkling that the axe was about to fall.

In the specific case of Rabbit vs. Mad Mind, if I were judge, this is how I'd explain the difference in verdicts:

1)White rabbit gave a very sincere apology and vowed to refrain from such behavior. Mad Mind never really did, and his outburst was more rule than exception.

2)White rabbit was pissed off and directed his anger at a single entity; MadMind's rants tend to villify an entire class of persons.

For the record, I'm anti-banning in general, but absolutely accept the Isthmus' right to regulate content. In no way does this amount to censorship.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 am

O.J. wrote:
2)White rabbit was pissed off and directed his anger at a single entity; MadMind's rants tend to villify an entire class of persons.

Actually, it was Peanutbutter's lack of the sarcastic rolly eye emoticon that confused me and set me off. How am I supposed to know you're being sarcastic if you don't include the emoticon?

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:50 pm

white_rabbit wrote: I erroneously assumed that I can get away with making a homophobic comment because I am gay and me and my friends often make such comments amongst ourselves in jest and to taunt, but would probably never make those comments to someone outside our group or who isn't gay as it would probably be taken as extremely offensive.

Question. After watching Deadwood, i developed the habit of calling people "cocksuckers". Is this offensive? If so, what is the PC way of calling someone a cocksucker without them thinking that I'm a homophobe.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:17 pm

butters wrote:... what is the PC way of calling someone a cocksucker without them thinking that I'm a homophobe.

Are you kidding me?

"Pardon me sir, I would like to imply that you perform fellatio, but not in a manner that might offend anyone of the homosexual persuasion. Might you suggest an alternate expletive that could convey a similar sentiment without violating proper code of societal conduct?"

Retard.

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Dairylander wrote:
butters wrote:... what is the PC way of calling someone a cocksucker without them thinking that I'm a homophobe.

Are you kidding me?

"Pardon me sir, I would like to imply that you perform fellatio, but not in a manner that might offend anyone of the homosexual persuasion. Might you suggest an alternate expletive that could convey a similar sentiment without violating proper code of societal conduct?"

Retard.

That's pretty much it. Thanks for editing my original question by adding some of your big college words. You are so smart...for a cocksucker.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:53 pm

The intent of the "insult" is to emasculate a man or call into question his virility. In reality it has very little power over gay men. However, it oddly seems to have extra power when a gay man uses it against a straight man.

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm

white_rabbit wrote:The intent of the "insult" is to emasculate a man or call into question his virility. In reality it has very little power over gay men. However, it oddly seems to have extra power when a gay man uses it against a straight man.

Kindof like calling a group of men "Ladies". Not very PC but effective.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:08 pm

butters wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:The intent of the "insult" is to emasculate a man or call into question his virility. In reality it has very little power over gay men. However, it oddly seems to have extra power when a gay man uses it against a straight man.

Kindof like calling a group of men "Ladies". Not very PC but effective.

Yeah, or like when Flanders calls someone "Shirley", "Princess" or "Nancy".

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:15 pm

I think it's been made clear in the past few years that making decisions on how to administer these boards is a pretty subjective process. I don't make decisions with a certainty that they're right all the time and have called attention to that, as well.

Sometimes it's an issue of timing as much as anything else.

In my experience, once you make a set of rules, people start trying to figure out ways around them.

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm

I started this mostly just to see what would happen and to take the heat off. But it's turned out to be a good discussion. People here are pretty nice. :D
Last edited by Jazznews on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:55 pm

jjoyce wrote:I think it's been made clear in the past few years that making decisions on how to administer these boards is a pretty subjective process. I don't make decisions with a certainty that they're right all the time and have called attention to that, as well.

Sometimes it's an issue of timing as much as anything else.

In my experience, once you make a set of rules, people start trying to figure out ways around them.

I've assumed it's a subjective process, weighing contributions against patterns of disruptive posts. For example, Chuck was given exteme latitude because he was creative and humorous, while others who didn't nearly come close to his level of scatological rants were booted. Ned is allowed to make homophobe quips, but he is the token conservative and often stirs converstation. I've been given a bit of forbearance obviously because I'm witty and cute and somewhat aware of where the line is even though I sometimes dance around that line. Others haven't been so lucky.

This is a good discussion to have.

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Re: Banning People...

Postby Jazznews » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:20 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Please don't ban me, because I really don't want to have to register as blanca_tibbar on TDF, I've already shamed myself enough with that moniker on madison.com.

I don't remember if you were part of the epic battles about the Anti-Gay Amendment there. There was one openly gay poster there - Grumpus. And after the amendment passed he said he was moving out of Wisconsin. I pleaded with him not to, but he said he and his partner wouldn't be able to continue health coverage. I guess he did leave, he stopped posting there too.

There are conservatives there that actually believe all the garbage that Julianne Appling and her crusaders were spewing. Those people remain, a lot of right-wing nuts are there (as well as some lefties), but I guess that's the way Tim Kelley wants it.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”