OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add a COMEDY section

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add a COMEDY section

Postby blunt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:37 pm

Ok fine. Forget giving Stella her town vibe back. Whatever You could have at least said something. Why can't jocks communicate?
Forget it. I don't want it back anymore anyway.

Here's what I want now:
Can we get a COMEDY division?
Not a place to be funny in. We are hilarious wherever we are.
A place that's specific to comedy and comedy shows.
ARTS isn't enough and even though comedy can be found at the music venues listings, MUSIC overshadows any COMEDY news.
The same trouble is found within the newspaper version.
When I look for What's happening tonight at the Frequency, I want to see EVERYTHING at the Frequency. So many times I miss something at 6pm because it's hidden somewhere in back in ARTS or WORDS or something.
Like the Dan Potachi Show.
We'd like to see comedy and music and hip night life mixed better together.
The crowd that came to see the Aristocrats last week is not the crowd that would be looking for chicklit vampire romance book discussions at Borders (usually).
So, if not in the paper, at least PLEASE give a seperate section to talk funny in. The comedy scene is burgeoning right beneath your feet.
The section would certainly get a lot more use than the MAGNET section.
Please? And don't leave us hanging!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add a COMEDY section

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:08 pm

blunt wrote:even though comedy can be found at the music venues listings, MUSIC overshadows any COMEDY news.
The same trouble is found within the newspaper version.

Do you mean the Guide listings? Comedy events are found in the comedy listings, in both the paper and the online Guide.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Whatever happened to that Showman guy who briefly spammed his way through the DPF? Is he still trying to figure out why "strictly annoying" isn't hilarious schtick? Man, that guy neither bent nor broke.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Which local comedian should I go see? Because a lot of them send me emails and I've yet to so much as crack a grin at any of them.

Incidentally, stand-up comedy is in such a state of anti-burgeoning I can't even believe it. Every so-called comic is now appearing on various podcasts where he proceeds to share his theory on immigration policies, the recession, "sexting," environmentalism and organized religion. And guess what? I don't care what any of these clowns (literally, they're clowns) thinks about any of those topics if their spiels aren't specifically designed to make me laugh.

It's because so few of these guys have anything going on during the day that the majority of them end up just responding to talk radio. Gross.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Uh...was that a no?

Sorry for confusing you, Kenneth; I meant I'd like to see the comedy listings and rock club listings combined.
It's easy to miss a non-musical event that's held right before a musical event at the same club.
And I know sometimes the club is on top of things and does list everything that night....but not always.
I just want all artistic disciplines to lie in a big naked pile of obamastical solidarity, ok? Is that so wrong?

But mostly I want a space to bitch about local comics exclusively.

supa and jjoyce:
what you're saying is exactly why we need a comedy section here on the forum.
And jjoyce: all the things you've mentioned is different than going out to see someone flail and fail in person. There are a lot of us who enjoy the mechanics and abstracts of both pro and amateur comedy.
Too bad none of you guys were at the Aristocrat thing (or the Dan Potachi shows...maybe we should define "burgeoning"...):
it was hilarious and fun and fascinating.
A big crowd showed. People stayed until closing.

I just don't like wading through Arts for comedy stuff.
The Arts is full of visual art and drama.
Plus: should your like or dislike of local comedy be the deciding factor for a Forum Comedy section?

oranger
Forum Addict

Postby oranger » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:01 pm

I saw the Dan Potacke show two weeks ago. There were over a hundred people at the Frequency on a Monday afternoon to watch him interview Mayor Dave. There was a hilarious bit about how The Onion and The Wisconsin State Journal had given the show press but the Isthmus did not.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Was the Aristocrats evening actually funny? I was tempted to go, but a little voice in my head kept telling me that it would turn into a bunch of guys on stage just trying to be as offensive as possible without bringing the laughs (see: much of South Park these days).

Should I regret that decision?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Blunt is funier than anyone I've seen on a stage in Madison.

I'd try my hand at comedy myself, but I'd be exactly what Jason described.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm by no means an expert or really even remotely aware of the local comedy scene, whatever that may be, but I did have a friend that was involved in the WiSUC shows a few years back. I'd say the hits were about even with the misses for the couple of shows that I saw. I would say I'm somewhat apathetic to the whole thing, but I wouldn't mind reading about local comics.

I also am planning on seeing Nick Mortensen in a couple of weeks, as a friend of mine has been proselytizing me for a while now. I did see there was more or less a shit-fit at Madison Decider between him and other local comics.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:59 am

wallrock wrote:I did see there was more or less a shit-fit at Madison Decider between him and other local comics.

Had to check that out. Far more hilarious than any routine I've seen any of them stumble through.

I love it when self-obsessed neurotics tear into each other. It's like a crybaby cage match. Christ, what a doofus cotillion these local comedy cliques are. Wrap a shepherd's hook around all their fuckin' necks and drag their sorry asses off the stage of our public consciousness, I say.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:24 am

ilikebeans wrote:Was the Aristocrats evening actually funny? I was tempted to go, but a little voice in my head kept telling me that it would turn into a bunch of guys on stage just trying to be as offensive as possible without bringing the laughs (see: much of South Park these days).

Should I regret that decision?

Yep: I was pleasantly surprised at the diverse ways in which to interpret the "joke." The winners were not unanimous choices and the audience disagreed with some scoring.
I thought I did pretty well for not being a pro amateur standup.
It was a good feelin' bucket ride to the top of fun mountain.

And you guys are right: it's starting to become a standing joke at a bunch of these events that no one from the Isthmus is ever there.
Hilarious Isthmus bashing takes place.
All in good fun.

jjoyce: see how interesting this one thread is? Imagine the future if we had a whole section!

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:35 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
wallrock wrote:I did see there was more or less a shit-fit at Madison Decider between him and other local comics.

Had to check that out. Far more hilarious than any routine I've seen any of them stumble through.

I love it when self-obsessed neurotics tear into each other. It's like a crybaby cage match. Christ, what a doofus cotillion these local comedy cliques are. Wrap a shepherd's hook around all their fuckin' necks and drag their sorry asses off the stage of our public consciousness, I say.

Just read the Decider stuff too. How come no one attempted to incorporate any humor into their flame-retarded posts? Seemed like a good opportunity missed, what with everybody playing it straight. Instead of being barb-slingin' comedians, everybody just ended up sounding like some whiny bitch. Comedy ain't pretty, but it's obviously petty.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am

supaunknown wrote:Just read the Decider stuff too. How come no one attempted to incorporate any humor into their flame-retarded posts?

Well ... first off, they'd have to be funny.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:04 am

So wait, these comedians -- who all get together and trash each other in the comments section of a story about a local comedian -- are putting on shows where they also trash the local alt weekly?

I can't believe none of them has his own sitcom yet!

When's the next time I can see these comedians?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:46 pm

jjoyce wrote:So wait, these comedians -- who all get together and trash each other in the comments section of a story about a local comedian -- are putting on shows where they also trash the local alt weekly?
I can't believe none of them has his own sitcom yet!
When's the next time I can see these comedians?

1) The local?

2) Alt?!!

3) "I can't believe none of them has his own sitcom yet!"
Like none of the upcoming local bands have an HBO special, or upcoming writers are in the Oprah Club, or.......

4) When's the next time I can see these comedians?
Oh! That's why you have never been!
Check the club listings for them in Decider or 77 Square.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”