Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Ban or no?

Ban
23
53%
Don't ban
20
47%
 
Total votes: 43

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 10:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: continued language of my cast vote

Postby Marvell » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:35 am

AlternativeVoice wrote:My posts consists of facts and logic.


Like hell they do.

"Time has ten times as many positive articles about Democrats as Republicans."

"CNN is a wing of the Democratic Party."

If those are facts, then you should be easily able to cite a reference.

But, of course, you can't. Because those aren't facts - they're rhetorical flatulence.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 am
Contact:

Re: continued language of my cast vote

Postby AlternativeVoice » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:48 am

Marvell wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:My posts consists of facts and logic.


Like hell they do.

"Time has ten times as many positive articles about Democrats as Republicans."

"CNN is a wing of the Democratic Party."

If those are facts, then you should be easily able to cite a reference.

But, of course, you can't. Because those aren't facts - they're rhetorical flatulence.




:roll:

I explained this before. It is impossible to "prove" that any network is biased. I challenged people here to prove that Fox News has a right wing bias and they couldn't. So there is no way I can prove to you that CNN has a left wing bias. So I can send you as many links as I want like this:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/cnn ... 114141.asp

But it won't "prove" anything.

Of course, if you really don't think that CNN has a large left wing bias, I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty well understood that they are the leader of left wing television. MSNBC has tried to out-left them over the last year or two, but CNN is still the gold standard for left wing television.



But thanks for admitting that I"m right. The CRAZIEST thing you could come up with was me saying something that the VAST majority of Americans agree with - that CNN has a big left wing bias. This is what I should be banned for?

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 am
Contact:

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby AlternativeVoice » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:53 am

I get the sense that people don't read through long posts (I can tell because people often attack me for things that they wouldn't attack me for if they read through all of my posts) so I'm going to save my last paragraph for a new post:


I challenged everybody here to come up with the craziest, most horrible, most troll-ish post, and after nearly a full day what did this whole forum come up with?? Me pointing out CNN amd Time's left wing bias. ZOMG! STOP THE PRESSES!!!


Posters tell me to "fuck off" and nobody says anything. Posters follow me from thread to thread smearing me and calling me a liar, a troll and a moron... and nobody says anything. We had posters going on every single thread and just saying "Choo the fucking Choo!" and nobody said anything. But somebody points out CNN has a left wing bias: NOOOO!!! WE'VE GOT TO GET HIM OUT HERE!!! HURRY UP, WE NEED 20 THREADS TO ANALYZE WHY WE SHOULD BAN HIM!!!


This is all just so humorous to anybody with an IQ level above 10.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:59 am
Contact:

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

When someone consistently changes topic on threads just to rile people up, that's a troll.

I've read many threads that have been ruined by long winded, ranting posts that then turned that thread into some off topic debate that goes on and on.

When someone knows they've done this to a thread, they gotta let it go. Sometimes this happens and one doesn't realize it was gonna spark some off topic rant. They have an obligation to drop it or get back on topic.

Some people don't know how to drop it. I say let the ban happen.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 am
Contact:

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby AlternativeVoice » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:13 am

Stebben84 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

When someone consistently changes topic on threads just to rile people up, that's a troll.

I've read many threads that have been ruined by long winded, ranting posts that then turned that thread into some off topic debate that goes on and on.

When someone knows they've done this to a thread, they gotta let it go. Sometimes this happens and one doesn't realize it was gonna spark some off topic rant. They have an obligation to drop it or get back on topic.

Some people don't know how to drop it. I say let the ban happen.



This is exactly my point. How many threads have I tried to keep on topic while the trolls on these forums tried to hijack them? I can give you a dozen examples of other people hijacking theads. I guarantee that you will never find ONE example of me doing it.


Come on guys, if I'm really the worst poster in the history of the internet you would think it wouldn't be so hard to, you know, find an example of me doing something wrong.

How many times do I have to post this before you stop accusing me of things I haven't done? Everything you're accusing me of is stuff that I've been the leading fighter AGAINST. I've been the one trying to clean up this forum from the trolls. I've been trying to liberate the forums from its atrocious moderator that has protected the trolls and smeared and attacked their enemy (myself).

Again, guys, it really is time you started apologizing to me. Clearly you haven't been able to find any examples of me doing anything wrong. This lynch mob needs to apologize.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:41 am
Location: Near East

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:37 am

Interesting fact:

Diesel commuter trains that run up to 50 miles outside of a city center pollute less than electric intracity light rail trains. Fact.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby supaunknown » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:47 am

AlternativeVoice wrote:This lynch mob needs to apologize.

I'm sorry AV. I voted to let you stay, but my sock puppet thinks you're a d-bag and voted to kick your ass to the curb. He's British.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9947
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby Huckleby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:50 am

Does ANYBODY care about free speech anymore? Yes, I realize free speech is never absolute, but what about a spirit of tolerance?

What I see in such a ban effort is intolerance by perfectly spoiled, perfectly liberal Madisonians who wish to sanitize their environment.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:44 pm

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:09 am

Huckleby wrote:
What I see in such a ban effort is intolerance by perfectly spoiled, perfectly liberal Madisonians who wish to sanitize their environment.


Or perhaps the operators of the forum have grown tired of a particular individual constantly shitting in their sandbox.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 am
Contact:

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby AlternativeVoice » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:16 am

white_rabbit wrote:
Huckleby wrote:
What I see in such a ban effort is intolerance by perfectly spoiled, perfectly liberal Madisonians who wish to sanitize their environment.


Or perhaps the operators of the forum have grown tired of a particular individual constantly shitting in their sandbox.



Once again, name one thing I ever did wrong. I can find pages and pages of posts of you being a troll and an agent provocateur. But you won't find a single post where I did anything wrong.


white_rabbit criticizing me of bad posting... now I've seen it all. Next David Duke will accuse me of racism.

Stan Darsh
Senior Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Belleville-it means beautiful village

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby Stan Darsh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:36 am

It personally doesn't matter to me either way. I'm sure I'll get slammed for the following but that doesn't matter to me either--I don't take this forum as seriously as some. It's fun to read, fun to post, many interesting threads and I usually learn something but it doesn't make or break my day. But I've got to say this--AV, sometimes you can act like a big ol baby. If you are so tired of people slamming and smearing you then leave or ignore them. Quit asking them to find one of your posts where you did something wrong. No one cares that much. You say that all of your posts contain facts which a lot of them probably do (some contain your own opinions that you like to state are "accepted by the majority as fact"). However, the majority of your recent posts have been "Find one thing I did wrong" "I am forced to post because people are smearing me" "If you can't prove I'm wrong them man up and apologize" Why don't you just accept that some people will ALWAYS disagree with you no matter what they say. You could be the bigger person and ignore them you know?

I say don't ban him and let people decide on their own if they want to ignore or engage.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 am
Contact:

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby AlternativeVoice » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 am

Stan Darsh wrote:It personally doesn't matter to me either way. I'm sure I'll get slammed for the following but that doesn't matter to me either--I don't take this forum as seriously as some. It's fun to read, fun to post, many interesting threads and I usually learn something but it doesn't make or break my day. But I've got to say this--AV, sometimes you can act like a big ol baby. If you are so tired of people slamming and smearing you then leave or ignore them. Quit asking them to find one of your posts where you did something wrong. No one cares that much. You say that all of your posts contain facts which a lot of them probably do (some contain your own opinions that you like to state are "accepted by the majority as fact"). However, the majority of your recent posts have been "Find one thing I did wrong" "I am forced to post because people are smearing me" "If you can't prove I'm wrong them man up and apologize" Why don't you just accept that some people will ALWAYS disagree with you no matter what they say. You could be the bigger person and ignore them you know?

I say don't ban him and let people decide on their own if they want to ignore or engage.



Except when is somebody who is being attacked wrong for defending himself? As you very much admit, it's been others smearing and attacking me. I'm choosing to stand up for myself because I'm strong enough to. I'm not a coward.

As for this idea that I have occasionally given statements that were not pure facts - sure, I sometimes give opinions. Since when is it a crime to given an opinion? I give facts, and then use those facts (and logic) to come to conclusions.

I don't pick on other posters. I don't smear other posters. I don't try to get a rise out of other posters. I have never done any of the things that I've been accused of, and the record backs that up. Nobody has found anything that I've done wrong.


Since, as you've admitted, it's been ME who has been the victim of the vicious attacks... why is jjoyce trying to ban ME?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8784
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:45 am

Delete this whole thread. The place'll smell better by noon.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:41 am
Location: Near East

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:48 am

Biker #2: I say we kill him!
Biker Gang: YEAH!
Biker #3: I say we hang him, then we kill him!
Biker Gang: YEAH!
Biker #4: I say we stomp him!
Biker Gang: YEAH!
Biker #4: Then we tattoo him!
Biker Gang: YEAH!
Biker #4: Then we hang him!
Biker Gang: YEAH!!
Biker #4: And then we kill him!
Biker Gang: YEAH!!!
Pee-wee: [tries to throw his voice without moving his lips] I say we let him go.
Biker Gang: NO!!!
Biker Mama: [whistles] I say ya let ME have him first!
(the Biker Gang laughs)

Stan Darsh
Senior Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Belleville-it means beautiful village

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby Stan Darsh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:19 am

"As for this idea that I have occasionally given statements that were not pure facts - sure, I sometimes give opinions. Since when is it a crime to given an opinion? "
I never said it was a crime. I said you sometimes post your opinion and then state "the majority of americans agree with me on this". If you were comfortable enough with your opinion you wouldn't have to add that qualifier.


"Since, as you've admitted, it's been ME who has been the victim of the vicious attacks... why is jjoyce trying to ban ME?"
You are NOT the victim of vicious attacks--I never said that. You FEEL like a victim, you FEEL like these are vicious attacks but this is an online forum full of other people's opinions. People call you names and you call them a name right back-(I know, I know, all in defense of your legacy on this forum) but seriously man. You have got to lighten up. Go ahead and stick up for yourself but I gotta tell you people do this because you make it so easy for them. You get all riled up and it just eggs them on more. You can't be a victim if you don't allow yourself to be one. Just some friendly advice on how to lower your stress level.

I can't speak for jjoyce but I imagine he is annoyed with you. Again, I don't know for sure but I seriously doubt it is because you disagree with his opinions and political leanings. I have read other people's postings on here who aren't left leaning and they seem perfectly capable of having a discussion without pissing off everyone around them.

Sorry for the poor quoting abilities--I haven't quite gotten the hang of that yet.


Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests