Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Ban or no?

Ban
53%
Don't ban
47%

Total votes: 43

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:00 pm

You know who I'm referring to here.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ban or No Ban? An advisory referendum.

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:02 pm

jjoyce wrote:You know who I'm referring to here.
Sounds like a Florida ballot to me.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:10 pm

There's no value in his posts. No dialog. Just bullying. He is holding this forum hostage and should be gone. Why should we have to avoid commenting on topics becasue of one person who has stated quite frankly how he feels about this publication and forum.

Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby Velvet Coffin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:13 pm

I understand your reticence to ban up to this point, and I know another sock puppet's going to creep in like a bad mold problem, but I'm so weary of writing off good threads as soon as the troll shows up to derail them. Let the board slow down. Let the anger dissipate. I think I'd enjoy a bit of quality over quantity.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

continued language of my cast vote

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 pm

...unless he gets back to the Isthmus supports terrorists and other potentially defamatory posts against this publication or other members. Right now, he's couching all his BS in "I love these forums and am their sole protector," which smacks of either A) Sheppy, B) delusions of grandeur, C) bullshit, or D) all of the above.

Not ban-worthy. Ignore-worthy? You're fuckin-A right.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: continued language of my cast vote

Postby supaunknown » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Can't say I've seen anything from him that I'd consider ban-worthy. His posts are intentionally incendiary, but he's wily - obviously forum experienced. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's already been banned from several forums and enjoys playing that game. If banned here, I reckon he'd send some stinky emails to Isthmus crying foul. Whatev.
Fondly considering the history of what some longtime posters have gotten away with I just don't see him as much more than a trolling annoyance.
Totally your call JJ. You're the one who reserves the right to refuse service.

MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:19 pm

I agree with Supa, totally up to Joyce, however I do respect involving other Forons in the matter. I think this issue is sort of like going to public school, you are forced to interact with and tolerate people you would really have nothing to do with if it was your choice.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 pm

"They were going to make me a major for this and I wasn't even in their
fucing army any more. Everybody wanted me to do it, him most of all. I
felt like he was up there, waiting for me to take the pain away. He just
wanted to go out like a soldier, standing up, not like some poor, wasted,
rag-assed renegade. Even the jungle wanted him dead, and that's who
he really took his orders from anyway. "

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Still, I feel that if I vote it might go to support Patrick Buchannan, since I just can't parse the ballot. I feel like Joseph K.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:17 pm

jjoyce, you need to man up and admit that you just personally dislike me. You are upset that I called you out for being a terrible moderator.

You know you can't ban me yourself because I've never done anything wrong. And you can't even bring yourself to call me by name is this stupid post where you're trying to get cover by hoping that all of your far left wing friends will try to kick me out just because they hate the idea of an independent voice.

You really are pathetic. Where is the petition for a new moderator?

oranger
Forum Addict

Postby oranger » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Oh poop, I was hoping this was about phosphorous.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: continued language of my cast vote

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 pm

supaunknown wrote:Can't say I've seen anything from him that I'd consider ban-worthy. His posts are intentionally incendiary, but he's wily - obviously forum experienced. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's already been banned from several forums and enjoys playing that game. If banned here, I reckon he'd send some stinky emails to Isthmus crying foul. Whatev.
Fondly considering the history of what some longtime posters have gotten away with I just don't see him as much more than a trolling annoyance.
Totally your call JJ. You're the one who reserves the right to refuse service.

Go find one thing I've EVER said that is incendiary. Seriously, go find it. Go through every post I've ever made. I dare you.

My posts consists of facts and logic. Other people say "Go fuck off" and "You are a piece of shit" and all sorts of other personal attacks... some even just post pictures of somebody giving the middle finger... and that's NOT incendiary?? Somehow somebody who presents logical, factual arguments is the incendiary one??? Explain that to me.

Of course, I can explain it to you. To the far left wing, anybody who challenges the status quo, anybody who is independent thinking, is immediately slammed, attacked and smeared. Independent thought is not allowed. The only thing allowed is a pretentious, arrogant far left wing circle jerk.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:31 pm

AlternativeVoice wrote:You know you can't ban me yourself because I've never done anything wrong. And you can't even bring yourself to call me by name is this stupid post where you're trying to get cover by hoping that all of your far left wing friends will try to kick me out just because they hate the idea of an independent voice.

It's not the political comments, it's not your perception of left/right/moderate leanings. Others far more conservative than you continue to reside here without destroying every thread they touch.

It's your repeated contempt of community AND the board operator. Time for you to go.
Last edited by ilikebeans on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:37 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
AlternativeVoice wrote:You know you can't ban me yourself because I've never done anything wrong. And you can't even bring yourself to call me by name is this stupid post where you're trying to get cover by hoping that all of your far left wing friends will try to kick me out just because they hate the idea of an independent voice.

It's not the political comments, it's not your perceived left/right/moderate leanings.

It's the repeated contempt of community AND the board operator. Get him out of here.

Who has contempt of the community other than you? It takes a lot of contempt for a community to think that they're too fragile to have anybody who disagrees with anybody on any issue.

I don't have any problem with the community - I love the community. If you loved the community as much as I did, you'd be working as hard as I am to clear out the trolls. The reason jjoyce is a terrible moderator is because he doesn't care about the community. He doesn't care about the awful behavior - the name calling, the smears, the bullying. All he cares about is attacking me. That's not the way a moderator should behave.

If jjoyce were replaced with a competent and independent moderator then the community would be far better. If you care about the community - like I do - then you support jjoyce's removal.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Banning feels good at first, but ignoring and letting whomever you are referring to sink into visible irrelevancy feels better.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”