Really? This is the best that Isthmus can do?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Really? This is the best that Isthmus can do?

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:59 am

Really? So the Isthmus sends an intrepid reporter to check-out the opening of the Bayou and what we get is this bland dispatch from a "journalist" who had already eaten lunch and only ordered a cup of soup. Really? No one else in the office hadn't eaten lunch? No one thought, "Hey, let's send someone over who is hungry to try the food over at the Bayou?" I mean seriously, what is the point? I know I beat this dead horse from time-to-time, but does Isthmus really believe the best interests of its readers are served when the only thing we learn about a new restaurant is that the decor is pretty and the contents of its menu might be delicious based on one cup of soup? You need to try harder.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Really? This is the best that Isthmus can do?

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 am

Valid.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:19 am

Typically, the thorough reviews of restaurants for which Isthmus is famous come after they've been open for a while and more established.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:01 pm

The "review" reeks of Bookie. Are we sure he wasn't involved?

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

I still don't see the purpose of this article. If you are going to spend the time, money, and effort to send a staff member down to a restaurant, why not come away with something meaningful rather than the bland comments of a passive observer. Why not interview the chef or the owner and have them comment on the menu instead of just listing the contents and suggesting that they might be delicious. It just seems like a lot of Isthmus/TDP articles are written without forethought or purpose, creating pages of fluff when just a modicum more effort or creativity would yield something more enjoyable.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:40 pm

For the record, it's #1 for clicks over the last two weeks, and has fostered discussion in the form of 4 article comments (even if you take out the two from people who also write for Isthmus, 2 comments is pretty decent for a brief missive of an article). There are also 3 threads devoted to this subject here in the Forum.

Are we lacking in coverage for The Bayou on this website? I fail to see where tdp.com is falling short.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:45 pm

Fat.the.Gangster's comments have been passed along to the editor/writer.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:47 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:For the record, it's #1 for clicks over the last two weeks

All that proves is that people want to know about The Bayou.
The question is whether they learn anything after they've clicked on it.

LindaF

Postby LindaF » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm sorry you feel that way. I stopped over that day to look at the menu and gather such information as its open hours to add to our restaurant database, after I found out that it was opening that day. I didn't go there intending to write a post, but it seemed interesting enough once there to warrant a "hey this place is finally open here's what's on the menu" post, which seems to me to be one of the advantages of the web -- not everything has to be a Full Fledged Article. Since we can’t review the place until it’s been open for at least a month, this serves a different purpose.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 am

LindaF wrote: . . . I didn't go there intending to write a post, but it seemed interesting enough once there to warrant a "hey this place is finally open here's what's on the menu" post, which seems to me to be one of the advantages of the web -- not everything has to be a Full Fledged Article. Since we can’t review the place until it’s been open for at least a month, this serves a different purpose.

I appreciate your willingness to explain the genesis behind the article (and answer *shudder* anonymous criticism -- see how that works jjoyce?) but your explanation just confirms my suspicions that Isthmus/TDP is a listless ship when it comes to making editorial decisions.

Apparently the information you provided was interesting enough to warrant a purely rudimentary post explaining the hours and the menu, but not interesting enough in your mind to provide a shred of insight more to your readers. What you experienced at the Bayou certainly warranted a more thorough article as evidenced by the number of hits generated by the article. Its popularity suggests that readers wanted to know more than just the hours and menu information or else they would have just used the database, right?

I would also caution that just because the web shortens the time between conception and execution doesn't mean the purpose behind the ideas warrant any less rigor.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm

The problem is that if you wait much more than a month to review a restaurant, someone posts a complaint that a review isn't brought to readers in a timely fashion. The moral: someone on TDP will eventually complain about something, regardless of the situation.
This is a non-issue.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:41 pm

The moral: someone on TDP will eventually complain about something, regardless of the situation.

And that person will no doubt be Fat.The.Complainer.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Chide if you must, but you know I'm right.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:22 pm

jjoyce wrote:Fat.the.Gangster's comments have been passed along to the editor/writer.

:roll:
Along with mine, and Richard Russell's, etc.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Richard Russell has a legit beef. I don't cover girls basketball. Hence, no response to his letter to the editor was offered.

I have written extensively about women's sports (basketball, hockey, softball, football, to name a few) but have not given any coverage to girls high school basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball.

A Madison high school has competed for the state title in boys basketball every year that I've written sports (first La Follette, then Memorial). In that time, a Madison team has never made it to the girls state tournament. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the Isthmus readership cares about Milwaukee Vincent vs. Milwaukee King, Richard Russell and Blunt excluded, of course.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”