Food Club?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Food Club?

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:04 pm

How long has this been escaping my attention?

See: your Daily side "edit profile" page, if you too had no idea this existed.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Food Club?

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:43 pm

Wait, what? I didn't see anything under my edit profile...

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:55 am

Click Profile way at the bottom of the page anywhere in the Daily section. Click (edit profile) after your name. Scroll down to the bottom of the edit window, right above where your comments start to fill in. There's a checkbox that reads
Join the Isthmus food club? Keeping this box checked will get you invited to exclusive food and wine tastings, entrance to contests to win fantastic prizes and gift certificates and periodic emails informing you about restaurant discounts, special events and gift certificates. Your forum email address must be correct and valid to stay on this list. Please check it and, if incorrect, sign up again or contact the webmaster for assistance.

Is this only visible for select users? Testing?

kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 am

Nope, I just did it, and I'm a relative n00bie.....

Of course, you have to reveal your REAL identity, which will keep the paranoid folks from signing up.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks... never knew it existed. On the other hand, it was already checked when I went there, so may be I did.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 am

kiwiwannabe wrote:Nope, I just did it, and I'm a relative n00bie.....

Of course, you have to reveal your REAL identity, which will keep the paranoid folks from signing up.

Well, it's been that way for a while now. People are gonna join up or they're not. Funny how people don't mind walking into a restaurant and ordering food, offering criticism or complaining when necessary, and don't put bags or masks over their faces. But put 'em in front of a computer, and all of a sudden everyone's Mark Friggin' Felt.

As for the "already checked" thing, I think that's a sneaky way to sign as many people up as possible; as soon as they make a change to their profile and save it, the new Food Club membership is also saved. Sorry if I'm pulling the curtain back, TDP. It's still a good idea.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:10 am

The first rule of Food Club is you do not talk about Food Club.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:37 pm

OK, I finally found the section. There is nothing about the food club on mine, but then I have not registered with my real name, either. Does anyone know who can view one's real name if one chooses to divulge it? I'd like to be in on the offers but don't want to be all google-able by my name...

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:43 pm

At some point in the future, there will be a food club and it will be glorious. No such club currently exists or is active, however, so the sign-up option has been removed.

Stay tuned...

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:52 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Funny how people don't mind walking into a restaurant and ordering food, offering criticism or complaining when necessary, and don't put bags or masks over their faces. But put 'em in front of a computer, and all of a sudden everyone's Mark Friggin' Felt.

You've never filled out an anonymous diner comments card?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:05 pm

ilikebeans wrote:You've never filled out an anonymous diner comments card?

Only for compliments or suggestions. I don't think I've ever criticized a restaurant on one.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:15 pm

TheBookPolice wrote: Funny how people don't mind walking into a restaurant and ordering food, offering criticism or complaining when necessary, and don't put bags or masks over their faces. But put 'em in front of a computer, and all of a sudden everyone's Mark Friggin' Felt.

I have a couple of possible explanations.

1. You do not like identity theft. People like to talk about things. The internet likes to aggregate and archive things people talk about. It does not take long to build up a profile. Have you heard the ads for LifeLock?

LifeLock Founder's ID Stolen

SAN JOSE (AP) -- Todd Davis has dared criminals for two years to try stealing his identity: Ads for his fraud-prevention company, LifeLock, even offer his Social Security number next to his smiling mug.

Now, LifeLock customers in Maryland, New Jersey and West Virginia are suing Davis, claiming his service didn't work as promised and he knew it wouldn't, because the service had failed even him.

Attorney David Paris said he found records of other people applying for or receiving driver's licenses at least 20 times using Davis' Social Security number, though some of the applications may have been rejected because data in them didn't match what the Social Security Administration had on file.
http://www.knx1070.com/pages/2236077.php

It is only going to get worse.

2. The worst harassment/stalking nightmare you will have. There are a lot of people out there with broadband access and un-diagnosed mental illnesses. It can get real bad. Worse than identity theft, as it is personal.

3. You may not care about any of the issues above, but perhaps it would somehow effect someone else for whom you care, wife, Grandmother, kid etc.

Why make it easy for the meanies?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:29 am

A guy can't make a Deep Throat joke up in this joint without somebody getting all identity thefty on me? Jeez.

If you use the same obvious password for Amazon, Visa, and the Forum, you deserve to get your identity stolen.

[and yes, that's more humor.]

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”