Newspaperman Bill Lueders says, "Wahhhhhhhhhh!"

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Newspaperman Bill Lueders says, "Wahhhhhhhhhh!"

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Oh my goodness, what a whiny little bitch. Using the old chestnut that criticism can't be valid unless a name is attached to it--a tired complaint that has been levied against people in regards to racial profiling, rumors about Bret Bielema, criticism about trolleys, forum etiquette, service at a local business, political discussion and just about any other topic under the sun -- Mr. Lueders does his best to mock the readers of his paper. I think referring to your readers as "miserable cowards" because they have neither the time or inclination to sign their names to their opinions is another sign that this rag is going down, and fast. Apparently Mr. Leuders has never left his soapbox long enough to notice that entire industries curry customer feedback through *shudder* anonymous surveys in order to better their products or services. Perhaps Mr. Leuders and the sanctimonious minions at this dying paper should reevaluate their misplaced ire and realize that criticism, with or without proper attribution, can be valid.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Newspaperman Bill Lueders says, "Wahhhhhhhhhh!"

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Are you trying to be cunning with your misspelling of the name Lueders, like Blunt?

He at least identifies a specific date for the death of Isthmus, incidentally. Of course, Blunt may not be his given name, but he's well identified by it around town. That doesn't make his opinions more or less valid, of course, but it's a little more stand-up than the anonymous shot.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 pm

Choo! Choo!
Last edited by harrissimo on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm

Jjoyce, maybe you can enlighten me as to when it is bad to be an anonymous member on this forum: when we are critical of the types of stories Isthmus publishes or when you are soliciting us for story ideas? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Isthmus editors are like Cosby's impression of Eve's wiles towards Adam in the Garden of Eden:
"Come here.......GET AWAY!.......come here.......GET AWAY!......come here..." etc
Isthmus simply no longer has ANY of their fingers on the pulse of Madison and have NO connection at all with the landmass social construct creative revolutionary new turk pool rising .
They don't even understand what's happening on the same black as their office sits.
For a rag to be called Isthmus
None of the old guard are left. you think that area might be part of their coverage.
The only still going for the is Bill and Nathan's hard news.
If only they could get together with Onion, 77, or Badger Herald.
God, what a rag that woud be!
But no. The rest of Isthmus could be AARP magazine.
There is an inexplicable and incredible ignoarrogance of what's important or interesting!
Not to mention the apalling waste of talent they ignore daily.
Come on:
Sports teams scout and woo and proposition talent.
Bands scout and woo and proposition talent.
Punk and art zines scout and woo and proposition for talent.
TV scouts and woos and propositions talent.
Isthmus ignores its finest and brightest while blindly and dumbly tacking a posterboard shingle up saying they're hiring hacks.

There are SEVERAL scintiallating provocative swordsters chomping at the bit in the Foron dugout.
Let us in the game!!!!!!

You have dropped the ball so many times I wonder if you know how to play.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:05 pm

blunt wrote:Isthmus editors are like ...

I liked you when you were fronting the fun/weird/tight Headpump. What happened to that version of you?

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:20 am

blunt wrote:Isthmus simply no longer has ANY of their fingers on the pulse of Madison and have NO connection at all with the landmass social construct creative revolutionary new turk pool rising .

They will fix this by hiring Bridget Maniaci as their new political reporter after the spring elections. She will bill herself as an "Insider".

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 am

Maniaci? *chuckle*

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:28 am

I think when you're anonymous, and a jerk, you don't deserve to be taken seriously. That's why I would have advised Bill not to engage with this particular jerk, were he to consult with me before writing his column.

But since my byline doesn't appear on that particular piece, I fail to see how my views toward anonymity on this forum, which don't really fall into the false dichotomy presented here, pertain.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:29 am

So here's my beef: Isthmus, like many other print media outlets, is suffering through financial problems and addressing the issue through "streamlining" and layoffs. In addition to its financial problems, however, Isthmus is also suffering from a lack of quality content that is far more likely to bring its downfall in the long run and is not being addressed by the publisher or editors -- at least directly. Instead, we are getting solicited for story ideas and told that a drop in readership in the forum is due to cycles, which could all be a possibility if not for the fact that readers here, here, here, have pointed out what they perceive to be a lack of quality. And of course, the entire "Comments on The Daily Page" section is littered with unfulfilled and unappreciated comments and suggestions. Now, of course, the opinions of the readers are subjective and papers cannot curry to the whims of a few of its readers. But I would suggest that Isthmus take note of the opinions of the "miserable cowards" who populate its readership and implement some of the suggestions posed in these forums or it will need to change its masthead from "To The Death," to "Dead."

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:33 am

jjoyce wrote:I think when you're anonymous, and a jerk, you don't deserve to be taken seriously. That's why I would have advised Bill not to engage with this particular jerk, were he to consult with me before writing his column.

But if I, an anonymous jerk, offer a good idea for a piece and increase your circulation and your profits, you would be more than happy to publish it? That doesn't strike you as ridiculously hypocritical, or is this just another instance of Isthmus being the one way conduit for opinions and information?

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:43 am

I disagree with those who say the quality of Isthmus has declined. I love Isthmus and I love tdp and I know all you whiners out there would miss it if it was gone.

Bill Lueders is one of my favorite reporters. In my opinion he is a first rate reporter.

People who make deflamatory posts without revealing who they are are cowards. If you are just the run of the mill foron who isn't pissing dozens of people off then keeping your identity a secret is ok because really who gives a crap about who you are. But if you are going to be nothing but insulting and deflaming then you should reveal who you are or crawl back into the rat hole that you came from.

Jason Joyce and I have had a very shaky relationship on these forums but I must say he has the patience of a saint and I admire his administration of these forums very much. He has put up with a lot of crap from me and there were many times where I deserved to be banned. I have learned a lot from Jason about how to deal with difficult people. One person in particular was a major life changing learning event. Jason knows who I am talking about.

Isthmus, tdp, Jason and others, I may not always agree with you and sometimes you may piss me off but you have my respect and admiration. Keep up the great work!

Harris Lemberg

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:56 am

FtG, did you intend to post a second topic on this subject, or did you not see the first one?

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:FtG, did you intend to post a second topic on this subject, or did you not see the first one?

I intended my post to be the sole thread on the topic, but between working and searching for the necessary links, it took more than twenty-six minutes to post it between the appearance of the other thread.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:57 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:But if I, an anonymous jerk, offer a good idea for a piece and increase your circulation and your profits, you would be more than happy to publish it?

Hard to say. I have literally never seen this happen. Never.

I know that a lot of people live to point out hypocrisy when, what they're actually pointing out is contradiction. And that happens all the time in every line of work or style of living.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”