Is DPF activity down?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is DPF activity down?

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:06 pm

harrissimo wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:HA-HA, you're delusional and suck!

God Damn it white_rabbit and Bad Gradger .

KNOCK IT OFF

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS. IGNORE! PLEASE!

I know that we've all agreed not to respond to any of harrissimo's posts, but I had to just give this one credit. It really did make me laugh.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:13 pm

MMMM....shaved pussy

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:11 pm

white_rabbit wrote:MMMM....shaved pussy

That cat is obviously a racist Democrat.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:15 pm

It's remarkable how intellectual light weights will punt at the slightest challenge to their personal dogma. Surely we can all look forward to the day when one of these clowns runs for political office, gets challenged during a debate, and responds the only way they know how to deal with an intellectual challenge: holding up an immature picture.

If you guys would feel better about yourselves knowing that the political party you've sworn your lives to is actually the party that fought against racism, and fought for women's rights, then go ahead and believe that. Whatever gets you up in the morning. But don't try to convince other people of things that are factually false. I will call you out on your lies every time. Keep your delusions to yourself.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:34 pm

AV is absolutely correct:
The parties beliefs we call Democrat and Republican used to be the other way around.
But now Dems are nicer and cooler and Repubs are icky.
You can't solve everything by clenching in tightly OR liberally passing eveyrthing around.
It would be nice to smoosh the parties together.
That's why instead of this endless annoying back and forth, you said/she said, Palestine-against-Israelic snipefest CAN WE PLEASE create an inclusive transcendant reality?
The best from each party?
A nice tree there and a happy could over here?

Seriously.

Bigote

Postby Bigote » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:59 pm

blunt wrote:A nice tree there and a happy [cloud] over here?

Nice.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:24 pm

blunt wrote: It would be nice to smoosh the parties together.<BR />

You cannot take away the built-in power struggle between the two. That would pave the way and create a foothold for a third party point of view, and they just can't have that.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:42 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
blunt wrote: It would be nice to smoosh the parties together.<BR />

You cannot take away the built-in power struggle between the two. That would pave the way and create a foothold for a third party point of view, and they just can't have that.

Well, the way our political system is designed lends itself to only two parties. The only way a third party could ever gain a foothold would be if one of the two major parties completely collapsed and split into pieces. There is no way for any third party to take over just by providing a better product. This is different from in many parliamentary systems, where it's very possible for a third party to take over in time if they have the right message.

It's just the way our system is.... there are positives and negatives to it.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:36 am

I mostly see negatives.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 am

narcoleptish wrote:I mostly see negatives.

What, you work in a Photomat?

Hey, it would have been funny 20 years ago!

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:12 pm

Actually, there are some positives, and they make sense when you think about what our Founding Fathers intended. Our Constitutional system is designed to make change to our government slow. Their main fear was that the masses would go crazy during a crisis and try to drastically change the government in ways that they would never do if they were not in a crisis. So by guaranteeing that our government changes slowly we guarantee that we don't make too many rash decisions.

So the way that the two party system guarantees that is that it guarantees that our national campaigns stay moderate. In a three-party or four-party system you can have a case where neither moderate party gains a majority and they have to ally with extremist parties to form their government, and this pushes the government agenda in an extremist direction. The two party system, combined with the Electoral College, force our national political parties to appeal to moderates in purple states. They cannot just appeal to their base.

Just look at our recent presidential elections. As much as partisans tried to make it out like Good-vs-Evil epics, the candidates actually agreed on basically every issue. Obama and McCain both shot towards the center during their general election campaigns, to the point that the candidates were basically indistinguishable on every major issue. In general, this is a good thing. We will never have a lunatic president. Nobody can be elected without appealing to moderates in Ohio, Virginia and Florida.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:

What, you work in a Photomat?

Hey, it would have been funny 20 years ago!

it's still funny, if you're old enough to get it, that is. I remember when moonboots weren't irony.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:28 am

Walter wrote: old enough to get it

I am. I had all but forgot about those little blue mushroom buildings.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:25 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Walter wrote: old enough to get it

I am. I had all but forgot about those little blue mushroom buildings.

Waaaay back when computers were what you held in your hand to add and subtract with. Teachers used to say "Give me the gun" but now it's "Give me the gun."
It was when we all had rotary phones and
it took 15 minutes to dial 911.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:42 pm

blunt wrote:It was when we all had rotary phones and
it took 15 minutes to dial 911.

I never really thought about it before, but they really could have sped that shit up if they'd just made it 111 instead (although, imagine those poor Brit bastards stuck with 999).

One wonders how many suffered needlessly drawn out emergencies waiting for that 9 to make the circuit.

But man those old Bakelite phones were indestructible. Everything should be made out of that stuff.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”