Blaska's Blog

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
toniziemer
Forum Addict

Blaska's Blog

Postby toniziemer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:18 pm

What was the deal with that horrible, graphic Blaska's anti-abortion blog that was on the Daily Page for a couple hours on Friday? I saw it, I read it, I freaked out about the horror that was it, and then it was gone, quick as it was up. Did other people freak out too? I couldn't believe something like that was in the Isthmus!

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Blaska's Blog

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 pm

Sorry to say, it's still there.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=25046

Unless something even more odious was in its place originally.

toniziemer
Forum Addict

Postby toniziemer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:29 pm

OMG. Am I the only one that was offended by that article?
I didn't know it was still there bc it was off the home page. I figured people had complained and it was taken down. Darn that First Amendment, anyways! Who the heck wants to read that stuff?

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:04 pm

This is by-the-book shock by pro-lifers, nothing more. It's the text equivalent of graphic post-abortion posters held up at protests.

Know what? Most surgical procedures are grotesque. If I displayed pictures or graphically described something as routine and uncontroversial as a mastectomy, it would probably make a good portion of the audience queasy as well.

toniziemer
Forum Addict

Postby toniziemer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Breast tissue descriptions rarely involve a "little face looking up at you" on a bad day, though. That was sad and gross. I understand it is typical, I just really didn't expect to see it in Isthmus.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:15 pm

toniziemer wrote:I just really didn't expect to see it in Isthmus.

You've said that a couple times now, so I gotta ask: Why?

toniziemer
Forum Addict

Postby toniziemer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:27 pm

I don't know, it was just so violent. I felt like it should have had a warning or something. Isthmus talks about the war, for example, but I don't recall ever reading about what, exactly, gets blown off by an IED. I am just being a wuss, I guess.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:40 pm

toniziemer wrote:Isthmus talks about the war, for example, but I don't recall ever reading about what, exactly, gets blown off by an IED.

I wrote this Isthmus story about Iraq war veterans in part because I wanted to report what exactly gets blown off by an IED (or a mortar rocket). It is gross, as is the report of the D&E.

toniziemer
Forum Addict

Postby toniziemer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:45 pm

It's very good. Thanks for writing it and sending it to me.
Like I said, I guess I was just being too sensitive.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:54 pm

toniziemer wrote:Breast tissue descriptions rarely involve a "little face looking up at you" on a bad day, though. That was sad and gross.

They are playing to your emotions, and apparently succeeded.

Look, there is only one legitimate, logical way to address the abortion issue for those actually interested in law and public policy, and that is with the question, "When does a fetus achieve personhood?" The graphic pictures and descriptions are merely distractions.

toniziemer
Forum Addict

Postby toniziemer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:19 am

Yeah, I know.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:46 am

Blaska's a fucking abortion. Isthmus should be fucking ashamed to associate with the stupid creep -- not because they shouldn't entertain opposing viewpoints, but because he's a shitty writer, just not that bright, and not all funny although he thinks he's a stitch.

Reading his shit, I feel embarrassed for him -- like the woman who walks out of the restroom with her skirt tucked into her tights.

Rick Berg or whatever his name is can suck my dick too. He writes like a junior high dropout. Do you actually pay this fucking amateur for such remedial political commentary?

Hey Isthmus: There are people in town who can actually write. Some of them are undoubtedly conservative. You should spend some time and effort to find one.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Ditto to what Mean Scenester said.

AlternativeVoice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlternativeVoice » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Blaska's a fucking abortion. Isthmus should be fucking ashamed to associate with the stupid creep -- not because they shouldn't entertain opposing viewpoints, but because he's a shitty writer, just not that bright, and not all funny although he thinks he's a stitch.

Reading his shit, I feel embarrassed for him -- like the woman who walks out of the restroom with her skirt tucked into her tights.

Rick Berg or whatever his name is can suck my dick too. He writes like a junior high dropout. Do you actually pay this fucking amateur for such remedial political commentary?

Hey Isthmus: There are people in town who can actually write. Some of them are undoubtedly conservative. You should spend some time and effort to find one.

The irony in this post is hilarious. Reminds me of a comment I once saw after a blog post that had me laughing for days: "You're spelling sucked."

Look, was Blaska appealing to emotion over reason? Sure, but that's populism. It's exactly like every single speech John Edwards gave in his entire political career (i.e. "I met Joan from Milwaukee, she is single with 5 children, two of them have cancer and she has no life insurance").

This is how politics has been for a long time. Populism wins elections.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:48 pm

I was not aware of Blaska running for any office. Maybe douche bag of the year award?

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”