Nastiest forum "discussions"

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Nastiest forum topics

Food fights in Eats
3
21%
Aural arguments in Music
4
29%
Political cat fights in Current Events
7
50%
 
Total votes: 14

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2364
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 1:09 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby buckyor » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:39 pm

TAsunder wrote:Based on this thread, I will have to vote for music threads, because of the fact that the idiocy has now infested this otherwise reasonable thread.


I'd like to second that motion. So how can I change my vote? This sort of shit is exactly why I changed my major from English to economics.

All I can tell you is that I wouldn't piss on any of you ripping the Talking Heads if you were on fire.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8680
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:53 pm

blunt wrote:Finally you admit it: you're dumb.
That's why your tast runs low to the ground.
No wonder you have no idea how to evaluate XTC, Talking Heads and Go-Go's rationally.
I keep forgetting, your only project was a cartoon theme song cover band.

Hey, angry guy. Your quotes are all kinds of fucked up. You're knocking Wagstaff for what esmond posted.

Frank Booth
Forum Addict
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Ben's

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby Frank Booth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:00 pm

I'll cut anyone who claims they are taking things less seriously than I

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8250
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby blunt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:02 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
blunt wrote:Finally you admit it: you're dumb.
That's why your tast runs low to the ground.
No wonder you have no idea how to evaluate XTC, Talking Heads and Go-Go's rationally.
I keep forgetting, your only project was a cartoon theme song cover band.

Hey, angry guy. Your quotes are all kinds of fucked up. You're knocking Wagstaff for what esmond posted.



If that was true BP, I'd admit it. I embrace truth.
But you're wrong.

Here's the quote:

dave esmond wrote:
If the farthest your ears have ever taken you is Supertramp then yeah the THs are gonna sound innovative. If you've heard actual African/world music not so much.


Professor Wagstaff wrote:
Y'know, I find this argument as silly as saying that a Mexican restaurant is no good for not being "authentic" enough. Well, I've had "genuine" Mexican cuisine and y'know what? I like the Americanized version better. Similarly, I've heard real African music and guess what? I'd rather listen to The Talking Heads.
The fact is, I find a lot of World Music completely inaccessible. Why? Because it's foreign -- it doesn't speak to me because I don't have the right vocabulary/cultural experiences to properly understand it. And although I consider myself as big a movie fan as a music fan, I generally have the same problem with foreign films; I feel culturally unequipped to actually understand them, which severely decreases my enjoyment. Note that I'm not claiming English-language art is superior in any way, I'm merely suggesting that it speaks to me directly in a way that foreign art cannot. Often, listening to world music or watching a foreign film just seems like homework.

See? He doesn't get them.
It's like hating books.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7982
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:05 pm

This is just a tremendous threadjack... anyways....

the Stones... Suck
the Go Go's.... also suck.
The Talking Heads?... have their moments of both sucking and not sucking.

No I'm not going to back any of that up. back to nastiest "discussions"? Anyone?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 10155
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Unbelievable.
A direct quote and blunt still gets it exactly wrong.

I like the Talking Heads.
I like them better then the "genuine" World Music that Esmond prefers.
How can you read my post and think otherwise?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23923
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:07 pm

Marvell wrote:Also, something to do with Charlie Watts being God.

I thought Clapton had that title. Now he's someone people either love or hate. I'm in the love column. First saw him with Cream in 1968 and a bunch of times since. Layla is my favorite album. Love Duane Allman too.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8680
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:09 pm

What you posted:

dave esmond wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The fact is, I find a lot of World Music completely inaccessible. Why? Because it's foreign -- it doesn't speak to me because I don't have the right vocabulary/cultural experiences to properly understand it.

Or whatever. I don't care who knows my love for the Knack. I'm runnin' over to Blunt's side of the playground.
.


What it should be:

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The fact is, I find a lot of World Music completely inaccessible. Why? Because it's foreign -- it doesn't speak to me because I don't have the right vocabulary/cultural experiences to properly understand it. .

dave esmond wrote:Or whatever. I don't care who knows my love for the Knack. I'm runnin' over to Blunt's side of the playground.


I don't have a horse in this, so you kids have fun. Just make sure you're telling your mothers about the names the other kids actually called you. :wink:

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby dave esmond » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:25 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Stones are bar none my favorite band. A lot of people can't understand that, but then again most have never actually listened to a Stones record (aside from Hot Rocks).


Which is sad.


Did you catch "Let's Spend the Night Together" on TV last night? Despite the lycra and knee pad outfits and Keith's horrible guitar tone from that era it was great.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8250
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby blunt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm not emotionally invested in any of this.
I'm sorry Wags is so inscure about his own intelligence.
I'm just goofing around.

"We are on earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:43 pm

dave esmond wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:Stones are bar none my favorite band. A lot of people can't understand that, but then again most have never actually listened to a Stones record (aside from Hot Rocks).


Which is sad.


Did you catch "Let's Spend the Night Together" on TV last night? Despite the lycra and knee pad outfits and Keith's horrible guitar tone from that era it was great.


Nope, did not, but I believe it.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8250
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby blunt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:43 pm

Ok moving on. (see aologetic clarification Unlike U2 I Found What I'm Looking For in General Music)
TDP is an interesting place to watch myself.
In real life I am not quite so bombastic or obnoxious (though some may differ.)
But here I like making a brash statement and seeing what happens. The Go-Go's thread got a huge variety of smart funny and dumb responses.
Only Wags got upset.
But seeing Wags upset gets me upset.
That wasn't my goal.
Because everything is always our own fault it has to be partly his. But that means it's also partly mine.
So even though I love saying crap, and crap that shouldn't always be submitted to scientific method, I will try to refine those tendencies so everyone has a creative and nurturing experience here on the Daily Page.
Last edited by blunt on Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Spaight Street on the Isthmus of Madison
Contact:

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby harrissimo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:44 pm

blunt wrote:But seeing Wags upset gets me upset.


Silly boy, Wags is always upset about something. It doesn't have anything to do with you.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2062
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:17 am

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby depinmad » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:19 pm

this is why i love me some harrissimo.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1307
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Re: Nastiest forum "discussions"

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:20 pm

Is this is one of those threads looking for a fight and everybody plays nice?

peace


Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests